The Slits

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Turkey Troter
Rats Rally

The Slits

Post by Turkey Troter »

The Slits @ University of London Union ULU: 16th Oct 2009

Anyone from here :smt102 :smt102 :smt102 going? ;-)
Can't you see can't you see that you're rocking the boat?
Raven Darkholme
Rats Rally

Re: The Slits

Post by Raven Darkholme »

Turkey Troter wrote:The Slits @ University of London Union ULU: 16th Oct 2009

i dont think anyones gonna confess to seeing them bitches!
the slits are a disgrace, its a joke they were ever called punk, and not a funny one.
MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by MULLY »

Raven Darkholme wrote:
Turkey Troter wrote:The Slits @ University of London Union ULU: 16th Oct 2009

i dont think anyones gonna confess to seeing them bitches!
the slits are a disgrace, its a joke they were ever called punk, and not a funny one.
Care to explain why you do not consider them 'punk'.
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better
Raven Darkholme
Rats Rally

MULLY wrote:
Raven Darkholme wrote: i dont think anyones gonna confess to seeing them bitches!
Care to explain why you do not consider them 'punk'.
well, to be honest my opinion of them is based on one segment i seen about them in a documentary.
you may think that isnt enough to form an opinion on, but what i seen was so awful that i didnt want to see anymore of them.
i don't consider them punk because they seemed like nothing but a silly girl band trying to have a bit more of an edge to them, so they thought "lets be punks!" the music, the image, nothing resembled punk to me. there music was slow, the footage i seen, was of them prancing around doing silly dances. a real let down.
however, i will look into them a bit more, and will post back here if my opinion of them changes...
Raven Darkholme
Rats Rally

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

THEY ARE SHOCKINGLY RIDICULOUS
no way is that music punk, i dont know what the hell i'd describe it as, other than crap that is.
they look so ridiculous, they are a mess, a total mess. the singers dancing is one of the most ridiculous, pathetic, embarassing things ive ever seen! and it all seems even more absurd because there classed as punk! WHAT A JOKE!
a laughable band.
Turkey Troter
Rats Rally

Post by Turkey Troter »

So what is Punk?

What is a Punk band?

Does a band have to conform to a stereotype to be Punk?

Surely this was what Punk was all about... not conforming?

I always thought The Slits were quite fun. :wink:
Turkey Troter
Rats Rally

Post by Turkey Troter »

Well just to let you know... it was a top notch gig. Great fun band with loads of energy - and Paul Cook was there to see his daughter play too. A great night! :grin:
MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by MULLY »

Turkey Troter wrote:Well just to let you know... it was a top notch gig. Great fun band with loads of energy - and Paul Cook was there to see his daughter play too. A great night! :grin:
Review? Set-list?

I for one would be interested to hear about the evening.
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Me too!
Turkey Troter
Rats Rally

Post by Turkey Troter »

Here you go then,
I went with a chap from work, who had a better understanding of the geography of the area, i.e. he knew where all the best pubs were. So a quiet stroll from Clerkenwell to Bloomsbury via several watering holes took us about 3 hours.
Met a nice couple of girls from Vancouver, who invited us over any time we fancied – Note to self, must check out Stranglers future gigs, would they play Vancouver?
Moving on, we entered the University/College area of Bloomsbury and blagged our way into a strange African Music/Dance gig – we didn’t stay long!
Next stop was the University of London Union – an impressive venue.
We made our way to the Bar, The 2nd support band were on, I can’t remember there name but I noticed that they were mostly female – funny how I remember some facts.
It was 2 to 3 deep at the bar and I noticed a familiar face in front of me, Paul Cook, who I was informed, was there to see his daughter.
Moving into the main hall, which was quite full – maybe 300-400 people, we made our way to the front just in time for The Slits to take to the stage, the original Bassist – Tessa was joined on stage by three other (much younger) girls, I didn’t get the names but I think the drummer was German and the Guitarist was American?. Paul Cook’s daughter was on keyboards and vocals. Ari Up was still back stage and started the gig by asking the rest of the band about their toilet habits of the past few hours, rather strange I thought.
When she finally came on the band started into a mostly storming set, a mix of up-tempo punk numbers and rather more mellow reggae tunes. The highlights for me were “I heard it through the grape vine (Bass line)”, “Lazy Slam” (from the new album), and the classic “Typical Girls” when the band were joined on stage by many of the audience.
Throughout the set Ari Up made many costume changes, the reason for which was lost on me, and also there were far too much name checking people in the crowd.
All in all, a top gig. The band was great and full of energy, the audience was very mixed but that could have been because it was a student type venue. Time for a last beer before the slow walk back to Kings Cross.
TT

The "Stage invasion"
MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by MULLY »

Cheers TT
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Yeah, cheers for that! Always interested in reading about the old punk bands. 8)