Public Image Limited!

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Raven Darkholme
Rats Rally

Re: Public Image Limited!

Post by Raven Darkholme »

gizzard wrote:
Raven Darkholme wrote:not only is it a ridiculous price because some cant afford it, but even if you can afford it, isnt it arogant, and disrespectful to your audience to ask that much? and Gizzards attitude makes him sound like a sucker.
Lydon and anyone else should have more respect for people.
:roll:
well, dont you feel that your being exploited?
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

theraven1979 wrote:Totally disagree with you Gizz.

Thing is though Gizz not everyone is like you - We all can't justify throwing £36 into something (or perhaps £72 if you have to take you're other half). This kinda thing should be stamped out - It's causing a select few people only to be able to see these bands - Think about when you were a teenager did you have £36 to piss about?

Rising ticket prices have just got stupid recently and they shouldn't be able to get away with it.

Jim

I'm with you Jim I don't know what the fuck has happened to live music, you can go and see unknown and small bands for free or very little money but when it comes to the big bands its a different story. When I first started going to see bands by the end of the 80's it was unheard of to be charged such vast sums of money, there's inflation and there's taking the piss. truth is I think the 'alternative' music industry has become too much of the industry. Lydon slagged off the beatles and stones and built his career on it, look at him now, he's become what he banged on about despising so much for the first 10/15 years of his career, a money grabbing ageing bore. I don't have 35 quid to spare, I would like to see PIL more than I would the pistols, I wasn't remotely interested to see that load of old tosh talk about well and truly passed the sell by date and something absolutely fake, hey but wait PIL are charging 5 quid less than the pistols did 2 years ago, grrrr don't get me started coz I could say a lot more and its not just the Lydon's I could slag off for their love of money and lack of sincerity about the things we loved them for, money talks and bullshit walks, same old story eh
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

I'm with Gizz on this.

We are where we are. You can't knock Lydon for all the history, the atmosphere when he is stage and the sheer fact that he is an icon.

We are where we are.
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
C r a s s !
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by C r a s s ! »

I'd go, like I said before, if Wobble was there. Even though London is a school night, which is weird. It doesn't matter that Keith Levine ain't there either. Not everyone in bands is as iconic as Wobble, but I would fork out my hard-earned ackers for this if he was in the fold. Respect to him for not doing it!
http://www.strangled.co.uk/ The unofficial Stranglers site.

dreamtime101
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by dreamtime101 »

C r a s s ! wrote:I'd go, like I said before, if Wobble was there. Even though London is a school night, which is weird. It doesn't matter that Keith Levine ain't there either. Not everyone in bands is as iconic as Wobble, but I would fork out my hard-earned ackers for this if he was in the fold. Respect to him for not doing it!
Yeah - I agree with you about Wobble - he's the genuine article. The clip of Poptones from the OGWT is a classic. Still tempted to go to see Lydon in Brum though.
Raven Darkholme
Rats Rally

Post by Raven Darkholme »

PaulinLondon wrote:I'm with Gizz on this.

We are where we are. You can't knock Lydon for all the history, the atmosphere when he is stage and the sheer fact that he is an icon.

We are where we are.
GIVE HIM 1 MILLION POUNDS! HE'S WORTH IT!
if some people are gonna pay it, fine, but you at least have to admit its exploitive.
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

I bet if U2, Madonna, Oasis, Radiohead etc were charging £35 + no one would be moaning on here. I think there is a perception that Pil ain't worth it. Expensive it is but some people would still prefer to shell out nearly 40 smackers on Pil than the others and their ilk that I've mentioned.

BTW I've spent similar money on DEVO & The SEX PISTOLS in recent years and it was money well spent. In fact I would really find it hard to put put a price on the worth/value of those experiences. Money well spent is all I can say!

Regarding Pil, well I did see 'em once about 20 years ago and do have quite alot of their stuff but I'm not that arsed about these latest gigs to be honest. If was was I'd deffo shell out.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

To be fair I wanted to see Bowie but tickets for him were around £45 so I declined but at least with Bowie he puts a real show on and he's on for around 2 hours and his session musicians are pretty legendary - If PiL are playing for 2 hours then yeah maybe - I hate to say it but I'm in agreement with Mr Kent I think if Jah Wobble was playing as well then yeah I'd probably feel more compelled to hand over more money.

Jim

ThruBeingCool wrote:I bet if U2, Madonna, Oasis, Radiohead etc were charging £35 + no one would be moaning on here. I think there is a perception that Pil ain't worth it. Expensive it is but some people would still prefer to shell out nearly 40 smackers on Pil than the others and their ilk that I've mentioned.

BTW I've spent similar money on DEVO & The SEX PISTOLS in recent years and it was money well spent. In fact I would really find it hard to put put a price on the worth/value of those experiences. Money well spent is all I can say!

Regarding Pil, well I did see 'em once about 20 years ago and do have quite alot of their stuff but I'm not that arsed about these latest gigs to be honest. If was was I'd deffo shell out.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Thing for me is that I'm not a massive fan of 'Metal Box' so I'm not particularly arsed about Jah Wobble being there or not. And as the gigs are seemingly going to centre on the ONE album then none of the right boxes are ticked for me.

For £35 + I'd want Lydon,Wobble, Levene, Atkins, McGeoch,Afrika Bambataa, Leftfield etc PLUS every song on 'Best Of British Pound Notes'. Not much to ask for is it? Apart from the John McGeoch bit :idea:
gjinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by gjinblack »

The subject is a bit of a quandary for us Stranglers fans I think. We've followed a band with the odd line up change, (yeah I know, too many!) whereas PIL is one personality with session musicians. Very much like The Fall.
euromanc-ometh
C r a s s !
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by C r a s s ! »

theraven1979 wrote: I hate to say it but I'm in agreement with Mr Kent

Jim

Fuck off

:grin:
http://www.strangled.co.uk/ The unofficial Stranglers site.

pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

I quite like Public Image Limited. Whats that "Flowers of Romance" song on? & The "Anger is an energy" one is that "Rise"? Like his voice on those two.