1st STRANGLERS GIG

Listings, reviews of live gigs. The ultimate Stranglers gig archive.
TWO SUNSPOTS
The Man They Love To Hate

1st STRANGLERS GIG

Post by TWO SUNSPOTS »

I was thinking last night about the 1st time that i saw the Stranglers....
It was in the Top Rank,Cardiff in 1978.......
What with getting old, i seem to remember that they only played for about 30 minutes, and that included an encore........Does anybody else remembre this or am i just going senile?
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Nice one - Can you remember anything else or anybody else help out? Is the date right in the 1978 section?

Thanks man

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
DrunkinBlackish
Down In The Sewer

Post by DrunkinBlackish »

Feline Tour,Glasgow Apollo,think first song was Nuclear Device,in stalls,first gig Jesus Fuck.
grayo

Post by grayo »

Sunspots!! I was there mate!! I remember it well. The ticket cost £2.50! I remember buying the tickets! I was only sixteen at the time and had Never been on a train before. I caught the bus to Newport then the train to Cardiff and I had never been to Cardiff before either! I even turned up at the venue on a Saturday afternoon to get my tickets.......and I got 'em too. I remember the gig very well. My friend drew the Stranglers logo on the back of a denim waistcoat for me so I would look like a punk! This was my first 'real' gig and I will never forget these guys coming on stage , I thought they were the roadcrew but they started playing and the opening bars to 'Of One Skin' (I was later to find out) rang out..........these were The Skids and bloody good they were too. I went to see them a year later in Newport Stowaway with a band called The Edge!! (I can tell you a lot about that band too but maybe again sometime!). Me and my friend Martyn were right at the front of the stage in between Hugh and Dave and I will never forget when they walked on stage and burst into Burning Up Time as we were covered in phlegm! It literally rained down on us! The gig was well over an hour and I remember Toiler, Tank, Do You Wanna, Death/Night/Blood, London Lady, Threatened, Curfew, 5 Minutes,Dead Ringer, Bitching, Dagenham Dave but no SBC or NMH!! This was the first of the 117 times I had seen the band and although the gig the following year at the same venue (were you there sunspots? Can you remember JJ jumping into the audience to hammer a guy for spitting?!!) was the best moment, never mind the best gig in my life, I will never forget Cardiff Top Rank, Cardiff, £2.50!! 28 years have past by since then but I still get goosebumps before the band come on stage and no more so than Weston two weeks ago as it really, really took me back to those times again........A good omen maybe? I no longer have my wild-eyed innocence or the whole world in front of me now like I did then but what I have got are memories that I will take to the grave with me. :smt090

Fly straight with nostalgia and a tear in one's eye............. :smt022
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

DrunkinBlackish wrote:Feline Tour,Glasgow Apollo,think first song was Nuclear Device,in stalls,first gig Jesus Fuck.
Hehe, I was still in the queue for my Feline T shirt when this gig started. Had to get the bootleg tape from the Barras later to finally find out what the first song was! :grin:

Cool memories there grayo 8)
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
grayo

Post by grayo »

My pleasure Alias! Nice to share memories with those who will appreciate them!! :smile:

Fly straight with perfection.......... :smile:
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

Nice memories there Grayo. :wink:
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
grayo

Post by grayo »

Cheers Paul!

Fly straight with perfection....... :smile:
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

grayo wrote:Sunspots!! I was there mate!! I remember it well. The ticket cost £2.50! I remember buying the tickets! I was only sixteen at the time and had Never been on a train before. I caught the bus to Newport then the train to Cardiff and I had never been to Cardiff before either! I even turned up at the venue on a Saturday afternoon to get my tickets.......and I got 'em too. I remember the gig very well. My friend drew the Stranglers logo on the back of a denim waistcoat for me so I would look like a punk! This was my first 'real' gig and I will never forget these guys coming on stage , I thought they were the roadcrew but they started playing and the opening bars to 'Of One Skin' (I was later to find out) rang out..........these were The Skids and bloody good they were too. I went to see them a year later in Newport Stowaway with a band called The Edge!! (I can tell you a lot about that band too but maybe again sometime!). Me and my friend Martyn were right at the front of the stage in between Hugh and Dave and I will never forget when they walked on stage and burst into Burning Up Time as we were covered in phlegm! It literally rained down on us! The gig was well over an hour and I remember Toiler, Tank, Do You Wanna, Death/Night/Blood, London Lady, Threatened, Curfew, 5 Minutes,Dead Ringer, Bitching, Dagenham Dave but no SBC or NMH!! This was the first of the 117 times I had seen the band and although the gig the following year at the same venue (were you there sunspots? Can you remember JJ jumping into the audience to hammer a guy for spitting?!!) was the best moment, never mind the best gig in my life, I will never forget Cardiff Top Rank, Cardiff, £2.50!! 28 years have past by since then but I still get goosebumps before the band come on stage and no more so than Weston two weeks ago as it really, really took me back to those times again........A good omen maybe? I no longer have my wild-eyed innocence or the whole world in front of me now like I did then but what I have got are memories that I will take to the grave with me. :smt090

Fly straight with nostalgia and a tear in one's eye............. :smt022
Excellent piece there Grayo. :smt023

Always great to read posts like this of fans first gigs.
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Good work chaps! Woulda loved to have seen the Skids

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
grayo

Post by grayo »

Thanks for the thanks chaps!! It's great to be able to relate my tales like this to people who appreciate it as when I try telling non-Stranglers fans they could'nt care less the wankers!! Like I said, the band have provided the soundtrack to over two thirds of my life and I know one day it's gonna end so I'm glad for every second of the day that the band are with us, whatever line-ups, wether good or bad. And I thank the band from the bottom of my heart!!

Fly straight with respect to ALL Stranglers fans...... :smile:

Post by Guest »

I think my first Stranglers gig was either Hammy Odeon, with PaulinLondon and crew or for some reason I keep thinking that we went to the Brighton Centre or somewhere like that, but I hav eno idea why???

Must have been 1981 ish, La Folie Tour. They had these weird figures come on stage during the song La Folie. My sister said she took me to one of The Stranglers gigs earlier on in life but I don't remember that, and I think she was a bit confused at the time, becuase of her chemo.