Links to downloads etc

Announcements by moderators will be posted here.

Post by Guest »

Is anyone else gettin' tired with this never ending thread...or is it just me?? Lol......

I reckon it's all been much ado about nowt!! Nothing will change. Bootlegs will abound...just a bit more surreptitiously!! :))

Keep Smiling!!!
leoJ
Rats Rally

Post by leoJ »

Frederik wrote:
Seems they're a bit distant from a recording studio as well :P
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Frederik
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Frederik »

theraven1979 wrote:I guess looking back making a fans recording of SBE available for download wasn't such a great idea really.
they'd probably prefer the official release not to be compared to the actual event - the overdubs would be too easy to spot!
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

Frederik wrote:
theraven1979 wrote:I guess looking back making a fans recording of SBE available for download wasn't such a great idea really.
they'd probably prefer the official release not to be compared to the actual event - the overdubs would be too easy to spot!
Yeah and we'll probably have to wait ten years for it to be released! :roll:
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
Dom P
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Dom P »

Can I try to bring this to a head? :grin:

Let me state for once and for all some facts, please don't overanalyse but obviously the lack of facts has led to some speculation as to what was "said", and some of the more negative comments about the band and management are way off the mark. So here goes, and I hope this doesn't provoke more pontificating in everyone's fertile imaginations...

Facts about what happened:

* The only download discussed was SBE 2005
* Any threat of legal recourse was indicated to me to be coming from the film company that paid substantial amounts for exclusive video and audio rights, not The Stranglers or the management themselves
* The removal of any other material was the only logical response in the face of an eventuality of legal investigation
* It was in fact members of the band that made a case and supported me to stop any action being taken.

So thank you Stranglers and management for taking a mature view of events.

Let's end this now. Move on. Thanks to all of you who took time out to offer me support.

Dom P
"I think you guys are going to have to come up with some wonderful new lies, or people just aren't going to want to go on living." -- Slaughterhouse-Five
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

Thanks for that Dom.

Clear air all round.
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
suchi
Ugly
Ugly

Post by suchi »

Cheers for that Dom P and at least they didn’t give you a black eye or offer you outside for a fight in the car park.... However, don’t believe everything they want you to believe…. I’ve been there.

It reminds me of the time when I used to harpoon whales for a living… that once in a life time moment as the sun-light strikes through the spume to the under side of the fish-white under belly. It rolls and slews in a glue of red and green trying desperately to survive. It blows for the last time, the hawser breaks and the whale vanishes without trace. And the moral…. The poor old whale just didn’t know how evolve with the times!

BTW I don’t hurt helpless sea mammals anymore and I have also given very generously over the years to The Society for the protection of endangered Stranglers and what do they do? They just throw all that whale oil back in our faces.
adriana
Ugly
Ugly

Post by adriana »

HARRY wrote:
Eddy Burnel deux wrote: Coast to Coast could have been a monster hit this year
Bloody hell eddy...!!!

I love when you talk french !!!!

Ce groupe vient effectivement de se couper les couilles.
Fame at last i've made it onto someones avatar... and I'm not the Burnel chap!
Old Codger
Rats Rally

Post by Old Codger »

Thanks for that clearer explanation Dom, I was beginning to lose faith in a band that I have followed for a very long time.

I can understand the film company and perhaps the band being annoyed at a very recent event being 'aired' unofficially (if that is what happened).

It is obviously a 'revenue issue'.

Many members have expressed views stating that they see no harm in the much older (Mk 1) live material for instance being made available and also how much money they have spent over the years supporting the band.

I got my 100 posts the day the 'good stuff' disappeared so I don't have a clue what I am missing but would like to see the facility available again if possible.

I wonder then if the band (or management) could be approached for permission to restore 'privileges' for this site or at least that they have no objections. I fear they will alienate people like myself if they don't and that would be a great shame and probably the end of the line for me.

I can honestly say, hand on heart, that I have never spent one penny buying unofficial recordings in over 25 years.

I checked the SBE website before I went to the latest gig and was surprised to read that cameras and tape recorders were allowed as long as they were not of 'industrial quality' so I took my little digital camera (couple of snaps uploaded) and it all added to the fun of the event. The venue then is surely partly at fault for 'encouraging' private recordings?

'Eurochick' asked if we were tired of this thread, I am not as it is a serious issue that needs to be cleared up one way or the other.

Some of you might have the SIS video 'Battersea Plus', the band are being interviewed in Austria I think and a youthful 'JJ' is telling the reporter how they don't want to become 'dinosaurs like the Rolling Stones'.

Please tell us that you are not dinosaurs guys.

Hope I have not clogged your computers up too much!!

OC
Are these the devil, are they four (again)?
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Jim, The Damned don't approve of any unofficial filming of gigs. Now that you can record stuff on mobiles it is very hard to stop. There was a period in the early 90s however when they regularly did allow someone from their own team to do it. I believe that all the master tapes of these were sold on ebay a couple of years back.

I would have been at that Bradford gig but I don't collect video bootlegs. Not for any snotty reason, I just find the official release is all I need, I'm a stickler for a decent sound these days.

I delete any posts offering bootlegs and such, it's just the way I set the stall out at the beginning when I was very wary of getting into legal trouble - it doesn't happen much at all and there is actually another board that someone set up to discuss rarities and such. So they can go there and I'm happy not to go there too often but all in all I don't come across much bootleg stuff myself.

Tell you the truth, some of the 70s/80s gigs were great, but you had to be there to appreciate it! Whereas even back in the 70s The Stranglers were very 'professional' live. So I would actually enjoy an old Stanglers boot more. These days the Damned can bring a much more progressive/psychedelic vibe to the evening which I prefer.

Is it an interesting story why you got namechecked Jim? 8)

Oh - glad we had the explanation Dom. Makes sense.
theraven1979 wrote:Was gonna ask you a question but you answered it in your last sentance. You ever thought about something similar? I guess Cap wouldn`t mind? There always seems to be a bloke with video camera at every Damned gig. I`m after a gig of theirs from Bradford Rio's about 5 years back when I get namechecked.

Jim
markorbit wrote:End of the day it should be The Stranglers (& management) decision and we have to respect that. I'm not totally au fait with the extent of what was available but I thought it was rare demos, live MP3s, radio sessions, odd video footage - but nothing on commercial release.

Does it harm the band? That's very hard to quantify - but you can be sure that there will always be somebody out to make a quick buck and it is probably those people that have prompted the band to take action.

At the JJ event in Leeds my mate asked him about his thoughts on MP3 downloads and the response was (along the lines of) - live stuff he doesn't mind but something that has been worked on is a finished, polished body of work and that is different.

To be honest I think that upload/download area was just TOO GOOD!! Perhaps if it had not been so damn extensive things would've plodded on. Couple that with the recent ebay sellers and it gets iffy.

What is a shame though is due to all the licensing costs to make all those clips commercially available they would never see the light of day officially.

Oh well. I can't whinge as I don't encourage it on The Damned message board either!
Old Codger
Rats Rally

Post by Old Codger »

I've seen that bootleg site, still seems to be going. Perhaps he is next for a visit from the Mafioso.
Are these the devil, are they four (again)?
Tim
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Tim »

:?: why Dom didn't just state a few things earlier in the week I don't know....I've been thinking nasty things all week about the band...almost took coast to coast out of my van cd player....I even pressed eject...but couldn't bring myself to continue, so pushed it back in.
your brain's exposed and its starting to show your rotten thoughts YUK!