Links to downloads etc

Announcements by moderators will be posted here.
mabus
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by mabus »

Ebay Vs Free Downloads

As an analogy.....

Imagine you are the local plumber

Suddenly 2 other plumbers start up business's locally

One overcharges

One does everything for free

Which one will be best for your business and which one will fuck you over and ruin your business
Tim
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Tim »

the availability of live Stranglers recordings is limited to say the least via official sources, so the band should feel guilty about reducing the amount of pleasure propper fans are getting. Its about time they got off their arses regarding the internet and signed Dom/Crass up to run a PROPER! Stranglers website where members (paying like we did for Strangled) can get access to the quality live stuff....

GET WITH IT STRANGLERS! Considering every other avenue you have explored with perfection, you are absolute donkeys when it comes to the internet.....SORT IT OUT!
your brain's exposed and its starting to show your rotten thoughts YUK!
shah
The Raven
The Raven

Post by shah »

Re: plumbing (the depths)

yes, Ok, but BIG but, IF they said 'OK, we're going to put together a fab package of live gigs from 1977-1982 in an official dvd/cd/whatever' we would hold off and get it, lavish praise and proffer cashola.

I'd argue that most people on here REALLY want and are after, the early Mk 1 stuff live for obvious emotional and performance reasons. The new stuff is nice to have, but not golden to the heart.

Dom's site gives us access to the gold that will, as I have said, never be officially released because it appears that they can't be arsed to put some time into tracking it down, re-working it, investing time and effort.
Maybe Jet could take on this project?? He could sit on the sofa and watch all the treasures they have, or a few phone calls could uncover, and verbally edit to a minion whilst snacking heartily.

This censorship pisses off hundreds of real fans for the sake of selling 25 copies of 'Coast to Coast' and a few rotting X-certs.

Surely there's a brighter way around this than just placing a big Doc Marten over the whole thing and thinking it's silenced. Which ultimately is a thug's approach.
shah shaaah...go go...
shah shaaah...go go...
shah shaaah...
mabus

Post by mabus »

yes, Ok, but BIG but, IF they said 'OK, we're going to put together a fab package of live gigs from 1977-1982 in an official dvd/cd/whatever' we would hold off and get it, lavish praise and proffer cashola.
No doubt some of us would buy it. But theres no denying that the new culture of live gigs for free would deter potential buyers.
There are quite a few early live CDs readily available
The Apollo 81
Hope & Anchor
X cert
Live in London
Stranglers & Friends Rainbow
Live rare and unreleased
Death & Night & Blood
To name but a few
If these sold in decent quantities i'm sure more would be released - How much of a kick in the teeth this would be to Baz and Paul is anyones guess.
I'd argue that most people on here REALLY want and are after, the early Mk 1 stuff live for obvious emotional and performance reasons. The new stuff is nice to have, but not golden to the heart
I would argue that most people just want stuff for free now
Dom's site gives us access to the gold that will, as I have said, never be officially released because it appears that they can't be arsed to put some time into tracking it down, re-working it, investing time and effort.
Dom has spoilt us all. I'm very grateful for the time and energy he and a couple of others put in....But they have turned us all into greedy monsters.
It was always the same old people sharing and the same ones downloading.
Now many people on here are horrified when an official release comes along and money might have to be used to own it!
Coast to Coast could have been a monster hit this year if the live set hadnt readily available for free for so long. Same goes for Hughs later this year
leoJ
Rats Rally

Post by leoJ »

Eddy Burnel deux wrote: Its about time they got off their arses regarding the internet and signed Dom/Crass up to run a PROPER! Stranglers website where members (paying like we did for Strangled) can get access to the quality live stuff....

GET WITH IT STRANGLERS! Considering every other avenue you have explored with perfection, you are absolute donkeys when it comes to the internet.....SORT IT OUT!
I agree. I hope they take note.
leoJ
Rats Rally

Post by leoJ »

mabus wrote:
Now many people on here are horrified when an official release comes along and money might have to be used to own it!
Coast to Coast could have been a monster hit this year if the live set hadnt readily available for free for so long.
However, i don't agree with you there. I don't think Coast to Coast would've been a monster hit, after all, it's just through the web site, it wasn't on a general release. Maybe some people didn't bother to shell out for it because they are sick of that flipping set list!!
As for the Paris gig... that was broadcast live over the airwaves... anyone could record it if they so felt like.
Or maybe they should just get on with the new album.
nickinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by nickinblack »

Looking at it from another angle and using Hugh's music as an example.
I can't imagine any fan of Hugh's music on this site not buying his new,triple live CD,even if they have every live gig of his in existance.
Now,people who have downloaded his gigs simply because they are there,wouldn't have dreamt of buying the CD anyway.If anything,these people,by having an insight into his live music,may decide to buy the CD afterall.I can't see how he loses out.His music is reaching a wider audience.You can argue the same with The Stranglers.Boot leg recordings are great,but at the end of the day I'm sure any true fan would sooner have the official article.I thought the new Stranglers CD received very good support on this site as seen in that one thread,despite the availability of the Paris gig.No way do I agree with any profiteering from boot leg recordings though.Whoever has decided to put the pressure on will have made alot of fans unhappy(as if they don't have to put up with enough as it is).Rubbish compilation releases etc.
behold the stranglers bring you aural sculpture
mabus

Post by mabus »

However, i don't agree with you there. I don't think Coast to Coast would've been a monster hit, after all, it's just through the web site, it wasn't on a general release
Thats the point though. I the live setlist wasnt already available free on the internet it would have given a general release.
Maybe some people didn't bother to shell out for it because they are sick of that flipping set list!!
The point again being that if the setlist wasnt available to download, everyone wouldnt be sick of it

As for the Paris gig... that was broadcast live over the airwaves... anyone could record it if they so felt like.
No not everyone. Only a couple of people were PC savvy enough to rip the stream and convert it to mp3. Anyone could download it then though.

Or maybe they should just get on with the new album.
Agreed. I'm pretty sure it'll be the last one.
mabus

Post by mabus »

This censorship pisses off hundreds of real fans for the sake of selling 25 copies of 'Coast to Coast'

This statement really sums up the attitude that has pervaded these forums.

How dare Baz and Paul try to make a living when we want it all for free!!
leoJ
Rats Rally

Post by leoJ »

mabus wrote:
Thats the point though. I the live setlist wasnt already available free on the internet it would have given a general release.
Nah, it never would've been given a general release or else they would have put a stop to any downloadable site sooner.

mabus wrote:The point again being that if the setlist wasnt available to download, everyone wouldnt be sick of it.
Almost everyone who attended their gigs last year were sick of that set list!

mabus wrote:No not everyone. Only a couple of people were PC savvy enough to rip the stream and convert it to mp3. Anyone could download it then though.
True

mabus wrote:Agreed. I'm pretty sure it'll be the last one.
I think you might be right... makes it all the more depressing!!
cassydale

Post by cassydale »

Presuming the band do have a large collection of live material recorded over their career to date,do they? i dont know , one idea might have been to offer say 5 rare or significant gigs up to be voted for by us the fans and the winner would / could be released either through The Rats Lair or on general release.

Just a thought.

BTW I did buy Coast To Coast and i enjoyed it.
John.H.

I Should Have Wrapped You Up And Kept You Safe,Instead I Turned My Back On You.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

There are many differences between a bootleg album (bootleg is the wrong word for what we're talking about - we're talking about FANS RECORDINGS - no one is setting up a CD duplicating warehouse and banging these out for money - all that stuff is on Ebay not here) and an official live CD, sure the fan's recording is 99% inferior in sound but the main difference is this:-

The band, record company etc have all gained permission for the recording to be released and because of this everyone concerned with the release will make a bit of money off it and all is above board and it's a recording that the band are happy with. If the fans have all downloaded an inferior bootleg recording then they might not be that keen to purchase the official recording - well that's probably what the band think but then again not everyone is as sad as us lot and will buy everything the band release.

I guess looking back making a fans recording of SBE available for download wasn't such a great idea really - Of course none of us thought about it cos sure the DVD will be out this year hopefully and we'll all be buying it anyway.

Lets remember that the songs performed belong to the band and not us lot! however much we've all spent over the years. WE are the fans and whether you're in the Hugh camp, the Strangler camp or both I'd say that we all make the purchase whether it's on day of release or the next month.

If the band, record company, management or whoever expresses a dislike to fans uploading their recordings of gigs to share with fellow fans then we must respect that view which is why I removed all links to download sites from this forum and is probably why the other sites followed suit.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"