I got into the Stranglers in......

All the ongoing Polls are in here - make sure you`ve voted on all of em!

I got into the Stranglers in......

pre-77
7%
77-82
67%
83-87
11%
88-90
2%
91-95
3%
96-2000
2%
2000 onwards
8%

Total votes: 283

ffursbit

Post by ffursbit » 06 Sep 2005, 23:28

November 77. Bought Rattus on the recommendation of some of my mates, never been the same since. :P

hans
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by hans » 29 Sep 2005, 19:08

88-90. First gig 1992 'In The Night' Tour in Belgium.

Jake
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jake » 19 Oct 2005, 01:17

interesting I am one of the 13% I was 11 in 85 am bored of telling the story think you can find it on the-stranglers.com on the Golden Brown overrated thread. By the age of 12 I owned all their albums, was buying the singles in more than 1 format (how fuckin stupid) and was priviledged enough to have seen them at Wembley with a bloody good support from X-mal Deutschland. I would go through various music phases and regret strongly I saw the cure on the day Hugh did his final gig- who were awful that day.
I saw the MIB 3 times with Hugh, 3 times with Ellis and once with Baz. My stranglers collection comes and goes but I have generally always had copies of the first 6 albums. I will never get rid of my Rattus and Heroes albums, my mum is good mates with wilko Johnson and these were copies he got from UA back in the day.
at the mo I have every studio LP and a few live and comps even a few solo LP's and would get the lot but I couldnt gurantee that if finacial desperation beckoned some wouldnt end up getting flogged. though this time I would atl;east back em up on my CD burner :), I have flogged rare Stranglers stuff like Nosferatu EMI CD, Hope & Anchor CD, Early Years color vinyl, 3D Raven to name a few so it goes.

doninblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by doninblack » 19 Oct 2005, 10:01

Jake wrote:interesting I am one of the 13% I was 11 in 85 am bored of telling the story think you can find it on the-stranglers.com on the Golden Brown overrated thread. By the age of 12 I owned all their albums, was buying the singles in more than 1 format (how fuckin stupid) and was priviledged enough to have seen them at Wembley with a bloody good support from X-mal Deutschland. I would go through various music phases and regret strongly I saw the cure on the day Hugh did his final gig- who were awful that day.
I saw the MIB 3 times with Hugh, 3 times with Ellis and once with Baz. My stranglers collection comes and goes but I have generally always had copies of the first 6 albums. I will never get rid of my Rattus and Heroes albums, my mum is good mates with wilko Johnson and these were copies he got from UA back in the day.
at the mo I have every studio LP and a few live and comps even a few solo LP's and would get the lot but I couldnt gurantee that if finacial desperation beckoned some wouldnt end up getting flogged. though this time I would atl;east back em up on my CD burner :), I have flogged rare Stranglers stuff like Nosferatu EMI CD, Hope & Anchor CD, Early Years color vinyl, 3D Raven to name a few so it goes.
How come you only saw them 3 times with JE? He was in the band a long time.

Jake
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jake » 19 Oct 2005, 15:02

How come you only saw them 3 times with JE? He was in the band a long time.[/quote]
Lack of money I guess, living in the middle of nowhere for years didn't help either. I wish i had seen the band more times with Hugh and am always gonna be comparing them to when I did see with Hugh.
Also I never bothered going to see them til 95 I refused outright as I hated "Heaven or Hell" so much when I bought it on the relase date. I bit the bullet and decided to go for it in Dec 95 at the forum, Kentish town was suitably impressed still nowhere near the band they were when I saw em 9 years prior to that

doninblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by doninblack » 19 Oct 2005, 15:06

Jake wrote:Lack of money I guess, living in the middle of nowhere for years didn't help either. I wish i had seen the band more times with Hugh and am always gonna be comparing them to when I did see with Hugh.
Also I never bothered going to see them til 95 I refused outright as I hated "Heaven or Hell" so much when I bought it on the relase date. I bit the bullet and decided to go for it in Dec 95 at the forum, Kentish town was suitably impressed still nowhere near the band they were when I saw em 9 years prior to that
Which ones did you go to?

Jake
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jake » 19 Oct 2005, 15:17

My full list of Stranglers gigs sadly very small considering it is nearly 19 years since I saw them first
wembley Arena Nov 86
Hammersmith March 87
Brixton 89
Forum Dec 95
Hugh Cornwell astoria2 April 98
Shpherds Bush empire Nov 1998
" " Oct 1999
Brockwell Park June 2005

PeteL
Rats Rally

Post by PeteL » 22 Dec 2005, 16:18

Late '77 - used to go to a youth club disco, the DJ had a really good sound system and every week would play a few "punk" numbers to liven things up. No More Heroes played loud in a crowded hall sounded like nothing else at the time. Bought the LP shortly after and swapped Tubular Bells for Rattus soon after. Had to wait until I was 16 before I could see the band on the Raven tour in Cardiff exactly 2 years later (at that age 2 years was like a lifetime)....

Olympic Smile
Down In The Sewer

Post by Olympic Smile » 27 Dec 2005, 16:42

My first time was at The Granary (?) Bristol before the record deal, a family friend who worked for RAK record company in London said they were worth a look..............................cant remember a lot as I was an underage drinker at the time, so kept a low profile and did not want to be booted out!
.......remember what happened to Lotts wife? You Do?

The Strangler
Ugly
Ugly

Post by The Strangler » 30 Dec 2005, 21:03

I'm not sure of the answer to this really. I had all their cassettes in about the mid 80's, and saw them at Cardiff University in about 1986? when i was on a YTS, when i was about 17. Had upto the '10' album, then got married and shit, and not really sure what happened again till about 2 or 3 years ago, when i started listerning to them with a passion again (funnily enough i was divorced by then). Think i'd have to say mid 80's though, as still have the cassettes (though now on cd as well)
Rugby Union is not only the greatest team sport in the world on the field, but without a shadow of a doubt, is the greatest team sport in the world off the field. Nigel Owens.

BillyBob

Post by BillyBob » 09 Feb 2006, 17:50

I first saw the Stranglers in 1976 when they were the support act to Patti Smith - this was at the Hammersmith Odeon. The Stranglers were far superior to Patti Smith on this particular night. She was self indulgent and ultimately quite boring!!

I next saw them at the Rainbow - again they were a support act - this time to the Climax Blues Band. This was the infamous gig where Hugh wore his 'Fuck' t-shirt. I only went to see the Stranglers and departed after about two songs into the set of the main act.

Next saw them at the Red Deer public house in Croydon in about February 1977. There was only about 50 people in the audience and I felt really lucky to be so close to the band. Hugh hung out at the bar and was quite chatty. (This gig isn't listed in the gig guide - I'll dig out the date from an excellent book entitled 'Rockin Croydon' which covers the period 1950s to 1980.)

Finally, I saw them at the Greyhound in Croydon in 1977. I see that the gig history shows that the gig for May 1977 was cancelled and there is no other entry for the Greyhound for 1977. Myself and three mates definitely saw them there though. (Again, I'll check the 'Rockin Croydon' book.)

Haven't seen them since though.

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 » 09 Feb 2006, 19:33

Great stuff - you`ll have to post some in-depth reviews man!

If you get chance can you have a look through the gig archive and see if any other dates are missing?

THANKS AND WELCOME!

Jim
BillyBob wrote:I first saw the Stranglers in 1976 when they were the support act to Patti Smith - this was at the Hammersmith Odeon. The Stranglers were far superior to Patti Smith on this particular night. She was self indulgent and ultimately quite boring!!

I next saw them at the Rainbow - again they were a support act - this time to the Climax Blues Band. This was the infamous gig where Hugh wore his 'Fuck' t-shirt. I only went to see the Stranglers and departed after about two songs into the set of the main act.

Next saw them at the Red Deer public house in Croydon in about February 1977. There was only about 50 people in the audience and I felt really lucky to be so close to the band. Hugh hung out at the bar and was quite chatty. (This gig isn't listed in the gig guide - I'll dig out the date from an excellent book entitled 'Rockin Croydon' which covers the period 1950s to 1980.)

Finally, I saw them at the Greyhound in Croydon in 1977. I see that the gig history shows that the gig for May 1977 was cancelled and there is no other entry for the Greyhound for 1977. Myself and three mates definitely saw them there though. (Again, I'll check the 'Rockin Croydon' book.)

Haven't seen them since though.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"