Editorials

Announcements by moderators will be posted here.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Editorials

Post by theraven1979 »

Just a quick post about the site and life and the universe in general.

I`m really happy with the way the site is moving at the moment. Thanks to you lot we`ve secured the sites future well into the new year so you can rest assured that this site will be here for a long while yet. We`ve been with the new (more expensive) web space provider for a few months now and the sites uptime has been 100% and the forums run pretty damn quick on here as well so I`m very happy about that. Also, the forums get backed up on a nightly basis so we should never lose any posts etc - I also take manual backups myself on a regular basis.

The site has acheived a couple of landmarks recently

No.1 - We`ve gone past our 600 member. So lots of members - Yes I know a lot of them don`t post and I will be removing any dead wood shortly - So if you are lurking about why not make a few posts (we don`t bite!) - It`s been very encouraging though to see some members who have just joined making regular posts - you know who you are - thanks for your input and welcome to the forums!.

I`m actively binning anyone who slags anyone off as people are contributing to the site (also, some kind souls are helping to finance the site) and I don`t see how someone should come along and slag people off for the sake of it - It doesn`t achieve anything, it`s boring, it`s pointless, it`s annoying.... etc. Unfortunately if you want to get banned then you also get banned from the entire site - gallery included.

This site is without a doubt the most active, most members.... Stranglers Unofficial fanssite. I won`t say it`s the best as that`s down to personal preference and there are some great sites out their for different reasons (see the official site, Steveh's site for more solid news "from the horses mouth" for example)

No.2 - I`ve gone past the 10,000 post mark - Hmmmmm. :roll:

The sites popularity encourages me to add more features to the forums and to put more effort into the forums to make them even better. I add "modifications" to the forums every so often. For example yesterday I added a "last visited" modification that will now show when a member was last on the forums which can be useful if you`ve PM-d someone and they haven`t replied - you can see when they last logged in.

One thing I will be doing shortly is promoting the site via search engines to hopefully attract more punters. If there is some kind of forum feature or something that you would like to see in place on the forums pm me and I might be able to sort.

Finally, it`s always good to hook up with other members of the site recently I met one member as far a field as Toronto. It`s always a blast to meet up and have a beer and a larf. I recommend it.

Any suggestions are welcome please PM me - Any feedback positive or negative let me know.

Cheers

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

15th August 2005

1. Forum Members:-
The forum shows that only around 150 users log in within 30 days so clearly the 630+ registered members we have have forgotten about the forums. If you haven`t visited the forums for a while you can find us at www.thestranglerssite.co.uk. Please make sure you log on to keep your membership.

2. Exclusive Hugh T-Shirt
Another interesting development happened last month when some of us were bouncing ideas around on the forum we decided that there was a need for a Hugh T-Shirt with one of his famous quotes. "Raveninblack" contacted Hugh's management and put forward the idea. Hugh was so impressed that he gave us the go ahead to get some shirts printed on the priviso that he himself would get one! To see what quote we went with you`ll have to visit the forums!

3. "Burning Up Times"
Further fan involvement has given birth to yet another idea. I think most of us remember Strangled and falling down the stairs scrambling to the letterbox when this excellent mag popped through the post. Alas, this fine piece of Stranglers history is no more and it's left a void in some of our hearts!!! It was with that thought that forum members "Crass" and "DomP" decided to get something together. The first issue isn`t even out and there's already a major buzz about this. Quite a few people off the site have contributed and Hugh and JJ have been interviewed exclusively for this issue. Lots of rare material has been unearthed for the subject in question. To find out what it is visit the bloody forums!! This is Crass and Dom's baby so if you'd like to contribute please contact them. Issue 2 will be an in-depth look at the MiB album - Hugh is already excited about this one so expect more exclusive interviews etc.

4. Fundraising
Some of you may remember the old forums they were good but not quite right. Every 6 months or so the bloody thing would fall over and cause no end of problems for all of us. I realise now that the forums have grown so much in size that if anyone was going to research the band from a fans eye (or should that be ear?) point of you then they'd have the largest resource of fan stories and recollections out there. It was with that thought that I decided to bite the bullet and move the forums onto a better web site provider. One problem with this is that the forums costs become quite expensive (around £100+ a year). One thing I didn`t want to do was to bombard the forums with adverts etc to try and fund the site. So now there is 1 simple paypal icon on the forums where fans can donate a few pounds to the future of the site. I'm delighted to say that there's been a great response to this which encourages me greatly to carry on with the forums and thanks to contributions the site is safe for over a year. THANKS to all that contributed. All contributions go towards the site.

5. 100+ post forums. There's now a separate section of the forums which any member with over 100 posts will gain access to. To see what's in there you'll have to visit the forums and get posting!!

6. Questions for Ian Grant (ex Stranglers Manager)
Forums member steveareno has been in touch with Ian Grant who has very kindly agreed to take part in an online questions session. Visit the forums to get your questions in.

7. Further ideas:-
The above are ideas have materialised in the last few months. Theres exciting developments happening every month. If you have an idea let us know.

8. Hot Topics:-
At the moment the following discussions are happening on the forums
"Hans Warmling and Jackie Fountain", "Change The **** Setlist!", "JJ the radio presenter", "Toronto 80` photos", recent live gigs, "Hugh on Radio 2 15th August"

9. Hugh Cornwell & The Stranglers
As well as forums happenings there's also a couple of cool bands out there called "The Stranglers" and "Hugh Cornwell" I advise you check them out! Also, worth a mention are Goldblade - go and give your support!

THANKS

Jim
www.themeninblack.co.uk (Can anyone build us a gig archive in PHP?)
www.thestranglerssite.co.uk
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

27th September 2005

Just a quick update this month

1. Interview with a Vampire (arf arf!)
Forums member Raveninblack has recently interviewed Robert Williams regarding his time working with Hugh. Lots of juicy tales regarding the Nosferatu album and Roberts time with Hugh. I'd like to thank Robert and Ravinblack for their time and effort.

2. "Burning Up Times"
For anyone who has been living in a cave over the last few weeks forum members Crass and Dom have produced an amazing PDF file dedicated to the Black & White album. In my mind this is the most in-depth look at Black & White I`ve ever seen. Congrats to Crass and Dom and all those who helped out in making a magnificent production. Work has started on the next PDF which will be concerend with the Meninblack album. You need to get involved!

3. Gig Archive
I`ve moved the gig archive off the old site and onto the forums. Much better place for it. I`ve been updating it quite a bit and would appreciate it if you could have a look and advise any missing dates or corrections. I`ve got as far as the mid 90s for the mo.

4. Side bar
Recently added to the forums is a side navigational bar which will allow you to jump from various sections of the forums, the main site and to some interesting external links.

5. DVD Tree - Coming together surely but very slowly!! (partly down to my fault) Part of the tracklisting has been decided - check the thread and help out.

Get involved!

THANKS

Jim
www.themeninblack.co.uk
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

JJ in Glasgow for Cancer Charity Event.

Forum member Chris is working on the mamoth task of organising an event to take place in Glasgow. Chris takes up the story.....

"The event came out of the shambles at king tuts.
Then cleaning out my mail box I came across an P/M from Paul Bibby about charity stuff,and that he was involved in some work because of his little girl ,being ill with cancer.
I got fed up reading the negative feed back from folk and I thought, I can do this ,so I have started.
getting this project together, David on the forum is going to look after tickets getting printed.so its coming together slowly

Hopefully the format will be
6.30 arrive have beer
7.30 eat to the beat of the stranglers.
9.00 jj plays, question and answers,
10.30/11.00 Charity announcement
... mib go home very happy "

I`m sure you`ll agree that sounds very interesting and is for a good cause. If you can make it please go along. http://www.thestranglerssite.co.uk/foru ... php?t=4712 - ideas still being finalised.

Gig Archive
Been a fair few updates in the gig archive section recently - A few 78` dates have been discussed and confirmed - sometimes along the lines of "Yeah it happened I was there mate....". Always amazes me. As this appears to be the most complete gig archive on the net we need your help to take it further. Please have a look and post any missing dates. Or post a review!
http://www.thestranglerssite.co.uk/foru ... m.php?f=19

Another event to pencil in your calendar....

Firstly, and most importantly I need to point out that this event is completely un-related to The Stranglers. It's unofficial and is to be seen as a gathering of forum members. So far Four More Heroes (remember them?!!) are pencilled in to play. The bash is pencilled in for Leeds in September (probably a Friday or Saturday). There will be other things happening as it's early days at the moment so if you have any interest please keep an eye on http://www.thestranglerssite.co.uk/foru ... php?t=5070

Old Punk Bands Reunite !!
Just to let you know that Buzzcocks have a new album and a new single about to be released. I've been in contact with their webmaster and suggested that I will do my best to encourage you guys to go out and buy the single - Even better pre-order it !!!! In return their webmaster has agreed to do something similar when The Stranglers release their next single. So c'mon peeps get their single in the charts and get ordering !!
Further details here http://www.thestranglerssite.co.uk/foru ... php?t=5147

Get involved and Take care

Jim
www.themeninblack.co.uk
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I`m half asleep today so you got the mailout with spelling mistakes and I forgot to do a piece on the Burning Up Times PDF - sorry guys! Although that said there will probably be another mailout before it`s released !

Jim
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

PLEASE NOTE YOU'RE RECEIVING THIS EMAIL AS A MEMBER OF THE BURNING UP TIMES FORUMS - IF YOU WISH TO BE REMOVED FROM THESE MAILOUTS PLEASE EMAIL theraven1979@hotmail.com - Thanks.

Hi all

Hope you`re all well. Just a small mailout this month:-

1. Hugh Cornwell's Song By Song tour.
As I`m sure you're all aware Hugh will shortly be touring around the UK. These gigs will include a Q&A sessions with Jim Drury regarding the Song By Song book. Jim Drury has very kindly given us the opportunity to put questions to Hugh for inclusion on the tour. To my knowledge this is the only way you can get a question to Hugh for these gigs. We're in a very privilaged position so why not get your thinking caps on and post a few questions over at

http://www.thestranglerssite.co.uk/foru ... php?t=5484

You never know your question may cue Hugh to play a song!
As the tour commences shortly it's vital that you get your questions in asap. Please do not send questions to me post them only on the thread above.

2. A Glasgow night with JJ & Baz
Mentioned this before so just a brief reminder that tickets are still available. This promises to be a night that you won`t forget and will also raise money to a very worthy charity. Please if there's any chance you can do this then go along and have a good time! Details here http://www.thestranglerssite.co.uk/foru ... php?t=4712

Speaking of charity forum member Johnsa is doing a sponsored motorcycle ride (not exactly a trip to the shops!)http://www.thestranglerssite.co.uk/foru ... php?t=5351

3. MiB PDF
Don`t forget that forum members Crass and DomP are still working on an in depth MiB PDF. I've heard a lot about this and it's gonna be awesome. If you haven`t contributed then please get involved as I reckon this will be the definitive MiB document and you don`t wanna miss out on not been involved in that do you?!
http://www.thestranglerssite.co.uk/foru ... php?t=3801

Please make sure you get involed with at least one of the above - All 3 if possible! Remember that the forums only exist with your input and I know you all enjoy the forums so GET INVOLVED!!!!

THANKS and take care

Jim

www.themeninblack.co.uk
www.thestranglersforums.co.uk
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Spot the embarrasing cock up!

Jim
Dom P
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Dom P »

theraven1979 wrote:Spot the embarrasing cock up!

Jim
You've started a new forum!
"I think you guys are going to have to come up with some wonderful new lies, or people just aren't going to want to go on living." -- Slaughterhouse-Five
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Aye - you`d think I`d know the fuckin site address by now wouldn`t you!

Jim
Dom P wrote:
theraven1979 wrote:Spot the embarrasing cock up!

Jim
You've started a new forum!