Tour Epitaph

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Tour Epitaph

Post by Greatkudu »

Ok the tour is over,apart from the rearranged Bristol date, personally speaking I think the band have proved that they are still worthy of the Stranglers name with this tour, haven't played safe,have played songs that haven't been played since 1981,every gig seems to have been a blinder,of course JJ being the only original member,but they have let the music and performance do the talking,Jim and Toby have stepped up and are keeping the spirit of Dave and Jet alive musically,Baz has been sounding the best I have heard him,and I only did half a gig,as for JJ what can you say, just amazing, playing voice the shape he is in,so as someone who doubted the validity of this tour,I commend the band and crew and if they keep up this standard,they have a few more years in them yet.Major Kudu.
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Tour Epitaph

Post by Josh »

Greatkudu wrote: 29 Mar 2024, 08:03 Ok the tour is over,apart from the rearranged Bristol date, personally speaking I think the band have proved that they are still worthy of the Stranglers name with this tour, haven't played safe,have played songs that haven't been played since 1981,every gig seems to have been a blinder,of course JJ being the only original member,but they have let the music and performance do the talking,Jim and Toby have stepped up and are keeping the spirit of Dave and Jet alive musically,Baz has been sounding the best I have heard him,and I only did half a gig,as for JJ what can you say, just amazing, playing voice the shape he is in,so as someone who doubted the validity of this tour,I commend the band and crew and if they keep up this standard,they have a few more years in them yet.Major Kudu.
Agree with all of that Kudu.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
kenl
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by kenl »

Agreed, easily the best they have been since Hugh was in the band, at least my romantic memory of those days.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

I loved their TheMeninBlackSuites supporting themselves idea, and the whole 2 sets format was just great, and not something they've really done before (apart from conventions) ?

Sent from my moto g62 5G using Tapatalk

I Hate You !
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

I wouldn't go so far as to say best since the Hugh days (and I never saw MKI or II live so wouldn't say that anyway) but this has certainly been the best tour in years, with possibly the best setlist in decades.

JJ was amazing as ever, great vocals and fantastic bass as usual.
Baz, as I said in the Cambridge thread, was probably the best I'd ever seen him in over 20 years of gigs now.
Jim did a great job and I also appreciate it when he adds backing vocals. He's done that on a few songs over the years and it really adds something (particularly on "Hey!" a few years ago). He plays Who Wants The World a bit off for me though, and doesn't just copy Jet. That stood out to me.
Toby was good and if he wasn't there the songs wouldn't have sounded right at all so I've got a lot of respect for the guy but obviously it's not the same without Dave. I did feel less weird about it this time round compared to the last tour though.

I still think the MKIII lineup I saw 5 times between 2002 and 2004 were my favourite live experiences though because there were three of the "classic" Stranglers there; Paul, their most talented vocalist who had recorded a load of underrated stuff with them for over a decade by that point; and Baz, the fantastic guitarist. Everyone was firing on all cylinders and the new material was brilliant, hence the signing to a major label and the following minor hits.
Suite XVI tour also had a good setlist, although no Paul.
The 2015 tour was pretty good as well from memory because it was when Jet came on for a few songs, there were deep cuts like Four Horsemen and Nice in Nice, and I remember really being wowed by JJ's bass work on Baroque Bordello and Genetix on that tour in particular.

So yeah, this tour hasn't been bestest best ever but it was still pretty great and if they stick some more obscure stuff in on a future tour like they have this time then I could be seriously tempted to go and see them once again.

I have seen the band 17 times since 2002, which I know is much less than other people, but it does give me some kind of perspective.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

parasiteinblack wrote: 29 Mar 2024, 11:12 I wouldn't go so far as to say best since the Hugh days (and I never saw MKI or II live so wouldn't say that anyway) but this has certainly been the best tour in years, with possibly the best setlist in decades.

JJ was amazing as ever, great vocals and fantastic bass as usual.
Baz, as I said in the Cambridge thread, was probably the best I'd ever seen him in over 20 years of gigs now.
Jim did a great job and I also appreciate it when he adds backing vocals. He's done that on a few songs over the years and it really adds something (particularly on "Hey!" a few years ago). He plays Who Wants The World a bit off for me though, and doesn't just copy Jet. That stood out to me.
Toby was good and if he wasn't there the songs wouldn't have sounded right at all so I've got a lot of respect for the guy but obviously it's not the same without Dave. I did feel less weird about it this time round compared to the last tour though.

I still think the MKIII lineup I saw 5 times between 2002 and 2004 were my favourite live experiences though because there were three of the "classic" Stranglers there; Paul, their most talented vocalist who had recorded a load of underrated stuff with them for over a decade by that point; and Baz, the fantastic guitarist. Everyone was firing on all cylinders and the new material was brilliant, hence the signing to a major label and the following minor hits.
Suite XVI tour also had a good setlist, although no Paul.
The 2015 tour was pretty good as well from memory because it was when Jet came on for a few songs, there were deep cuts like Four Horsemen and Nice in Nice, and I remember really being wowed by JJ's bass work on Baroque Bordello and Genetix on that tour in particular.

So yeah, this tour hasn't been bestest best ever but it was still pretty great and if they stick some more obscure stuff in on a future tour like they have this time then I could be seriously tempted to go and see them once again.

I have seen the band 17 times since 2002, which I know is much less than other people, but it does give me some kind of perspective.
Sir any perspective is valid,of course I have seen them well over 100 times now,lost count,but as I this lineup is worthy of being called the Stranglers, whatever anyone thinks about JJ being only original,the live performance speaks for itself,and the quality of sound and performance etc,they made an effort to make this tour special and it was by the positive comments I have seen and by how many people came out and supported the tour, gutted I only saw first half,but that was the best set for me as prefer the more obscure songs.I don't think they can top this tour now,but if they can keep the standard up,I can't rule out that I won't see them again,it was going to be my last Stranglers gig,but they won me over,just superb.Major Kudu.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

aldinblack wrote: 29 Mar 2024, 11:04 I loved their TheMeninBlackSuites supporting themselves idea
Are they down to a three-piece now? :smile:
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

I'd agree as well. It's been a landmark tour in many respects. The deep cuts have completed the jigsaw. From the clips I've seen JJ's bass sound has been spot-on too.
Let's Boogie
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Taxi!

Jim
droopsnoot wrote: 29 Mar 2024, 12:35
aldinblack wrote: 29 Mar 2024, 11:04 I loved their TheMeninBlackSuites supporting themselves idea
Are they down to a three-piece now? :smile:
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 29 Mar 2024, 08:03 Ok the tour is over,apart from the rearranged Bristol date, personally speaking I think the band have proved that they are still worthy of the Stranglers name with this tour, haven't played safe,have played songs that haven't been played since 1981,every gig seems to have been a blinder,of course JJ being the only original member,but they have let the music and performance do the talking,Jim and Toby have stepped up and are keeping the spirit of Dave and Jet alive musically,Baz has been sounding the best I have heard him,and I only did half a gig,as for JJ what can you say, just amazing, playing voice the shape he is in,so as someone who doubted the validity of this tour,I commend the band and crew and if they keep up this standard,they have a few more years in them yet.Major Kudu.
Yep.....all agreed 100%
They have more than suprised many I think in every department what with the main one for me being the set choice... they so needed to and did in my opinion and for sure the numbers that were selected have been what the hardcore has been asking for and obviously those fans who want to hear the hits too whoever is up there.
Setlist...excellent
Stamina/energy.......excellent (with no gaps between songs)
Interaction.....excellent (especially JJ's side stage crowd walk and kiss)
Should they continue? ....going by this tour why should they stop if anything somehow they are even more on the up in my opinion.....their best in decades.
Keep on going forwards.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

If Jet and Dave were looking down, then I can't imagine them feeling anything other than pride at this 50th celebration and at what Jim and Toby have done with their great music.
It couldn't have been done any better. Congratulations to the band and crew, and everyone else involved, including us lot lol !

I Hate You !
kenl
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by kenl »

aldinblack wrote: 29 Mar 2024, 17:21 If Jet and Dave were looking down, then I can't imagine them feeling anything other than pride at this 50th celebration and at what Jim and Toby have done with their great music.
It couldn't have been done any better. Congratulations to the band and crew, and everyone else involved, including us lot lol !

👏