50th Anniversary Setlist?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: 50th Anniversary Setlist?

Post by toilerinblack »

To me what I've heard is pretty good....The one who stood out on Hallow was JJ his bass was spot on as per usual he really is Mr Reliable not so sure about the guitar and vocals though tbh
GB didn't impress me I really wish they would leave that song out now and especially the way it's being done and the best on that song was Toby again......Genetix drums not so sure.
But again full marks from me to Toby he really has added that slight different fresher sound that makes the songs sound excellent just jncredible for the little time he's been in he band who looks like he's been there playing those songs for years.
JJ overall for me really holds this band together he's been excellent on this tour and a true pro who never seems to faulter...quite exceptional at his age.
Something not sounding quite right with the drums it might just be bad audio vids I've been listening to dunno might be just me I'm no drummer......again no moans from me.
But I'm not goin to knock em they look great in their suits with gold everywhere...some things great and some not so great if I'm honest that I'm sure will improve as the tour progresss look out RAH right at the end should just be awesome and so tight together by then.
But the set choice i've liked it has been excellent for me only that's my analysis on the 9 to 10 songs iv'e heard and not a fan whose been there which is very different tbh giving an honest view.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 13 Mar 2024, 23:58, edited 3 times in total.
ozymandias
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by ozymandias »

StanInBlack wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 18:20 I understand the definition of "trolling" perfectly well. Hint: it's not supposed to mean someone expressing an opinion that's counter to yours.
I like how you disingenuously quote-mined that little bit. I'll repeat the rest for context:
ozymandias wrote: That’s a mischaracterisation. I’d didn’t say I’d ban him [for trolling] because I disagree with him – that would be ridiculous. I’d ban him from *this board* for trolling *this board*, which he clearly is.
ozymandias wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 16:09This idea that it’s somehow “JJ and Friends” is just blatant nonsense.
StanInBlack wrote: Is it?
Yes, yes it is.
ozymandias wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 16:09You’re drawing a false equivalence between The Stranglers and The Jam; they’re very different bands.
StanInBlack wrote: Different bands, same situation. One original member (in both cases, a bassist who occasionally wrote and sang) and several other members that are simply there to make up the numbers. From the Jam had the sense to not call it The Jam. JJ Burnel & Friends insist on calling what they do The Stranglers. To my mind, and many others, it isn't. What it is, is a competent band playing Stranglers music, but to call that The Stranglers is a huge stretch.
I'm sorry, but I think you just inadvertently compared JJ's contribution to The Stranglers with Bruce Foxton's to The Jam (I can think of four songs he sings, two of which he wrote, and one of which is London Traffic. Which is terrible, although not as execrable as Slow Boat to Trowbridge. (See, we can all shoehorn in digs at our favourite anti-hero.) I think the fact that you label JJ as "a bassist who occasionally wrote and sang" is revealing.

Anyway, enough. Objectively, you troll this board. Fuck knows why you do it, but you bring a nasty toxicity which I (and others) can do without - there's enough shit in the world without having to wade through your incontinent slurry when all I want is a five minute break from the bleakness of life to check up on the band.

Jim is unwilling or unable to curb this - it's his site and he can do what he wants. It's a shame - The Stranglers deserve better than this.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

ozymandias wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 16:09I think the fact that you label JJ as "a bassist who occasionally wrote and sang" is revealing.
I'm unsure which part you think is incorrect. Is JJ a bassist? Yes. Did he occasionally write? Yes. Did he occasionally sing? Also yes.
ozymandias wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 16:09 Anyway, enough. Objectively, you troll this board.
Again, "trolling" doesn't mean someone expressing an opinion that is counter to yours. I think what this really boils down to is that you consider JJ Burnel & Friends to be The Stranglers and you're upset that I don't.
Cricklewood
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Cricklewood »

Palais23 wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 17:35 I really hope that the band do record new material but they do so taking artistic risks and experiment more. I think a lot will depend on Toby. He is obviously a very good keyboardist who can duplicate Dave's sounds live. But how good is he at writing music outside of the box as Dave did on many tracks (eg Raven album)? I suspect Toby reigned it in when playing on Dark Matters as he was a hired hand then. If he has the talent and the confidence, then the next album could be a cracker. One can look at the Rialto records but that does not necessarily mean that all he has to give. Some keyboardists thrive in some bands and not in others (eg Jon Lord - fabulous in Purple , pedestrian in Whitesnake). I hope JJ and Baz encourage him. Even if it produces one more great track that's fine by me - another one to add to their library.
JJ solo album - yeah why not? But let's have more from the band first.
BTW I see AC/DC are touring- I dread to think of the discussion on their forums!
Equally I think it also depends on how much creative freedom JJ (and maybe Baz) would allow him and what direction they'd like to go for.

Imo if they want to get creative they would have to get away from the rock 'n roll formula for the entire album. I think the general mindset these days is that they want to please everyone with a variety platter of sorts in their tracklist. If they experiment nowadays, they usually do for one or two tracks but never for the entire album. We're prob never gonna get another album like Gospel, Feline, The Raven, Aural etc cus they had a mindset of having a certain sound or concept and sticking through it for the entire album.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

StanInBlack wrote:
ozymandias wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 16:09I think the fact that you label JJ as "a bassist who occasionally wrote and sang" is revealing.
I'm unsure which part you think is incorrect. Is JJ a bassist? Yes. Did he occasionally write? Yes. Did he occasionally sing? Also yes.
ozymandias wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 16:09 Anyway, enough. Objectively, you troll this board.
Again, "trolling" doesn't mean someone expressing an opinion that is counter to yours. I think what this really boils down to is that you consider JJ Burnel & Friends to be The Stranglers and you're upset that I don't.
Oh c'mon, JJ wrote and sang songs for The Stranglers more than just occasionally didn't he ?
He did it many many times, ok maybe not as much as Hugh did but still he was a major contributor and partner with Hugh for their songs throughout all of the MK1 years.

Sent from my moto g62 5G using Tapatalk

I Hate You !
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Cricklewood wrote:
Palais23 wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 17:35 I really hope that the band do record new material but they do so taking artistic risks and experiment more. I think a lot will depend on Toby. He is obviously a very good keyboardist who can duplicate Dave's sounds live. But how good is he at writing music outside of the box as Dave did on many tracks (eg Raven album)? I suspect Toby reigned it in when playing on Dark Matters as he was a hired hand then. If he has the talent and the confidence, then the next album could be a cracker. One can look at the Rialto records but that does not necessarily mean that all he has to give. Some keyboardists thrive in some bands and not in others (eg Jon Lord - fabulous in Purple , pedestrian in Whitesnake). I hope JJ and Baz encourage him. Even if it produces one more great track that's fine by me - another one to add to their library.
JJ solo album - yeah why not? But let's have more from the band first.
BTW I see AC/DC are touring- I dread to think of the discussion on their forums!
Equally I think it also depends on how much creative freedom JJ (and maybe Baz) would allow him and what direction they'd like to go for.

Imo if they want to get creative they would have to get away from the rock 'n roll formula for the entire album. I think the general mindset these days is that they want to please everyone with a variety platter of sorts in their tracklist. If they experiment nowadays, they usually do for one or two tracks but never for the entire album. We're prob never gonna get another album like Gospel, Feline, The Raven, Aural etc cus they had a mindset of having a certain sound or concept and sticking through it for the entire album.
This is very true

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

aldinblack wrote:
StanInBlack wrote:
Oh c'mon, JJ wrote and sang songs for The Stranglers more than just occasionally didn't he ?
He did it many many times, ok maybe not as much as Hugh did but still he was a major contributor and partner with Hugh for their songs throughout all of the MK1 years.

Sent from my moto g62 5G using Tapatalk
I'm guessing you've fallen into Stan's trap now as he'll probably now ask you if Hugh changed his mind and decided to do a 50th could he call himself "The Stranglers" and peddle a nostalgia tour?

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

I'd be well up for JJ doing something weird and arty as a solo project, maybe another concept piece like Euroman Cometh or The Gospel According to the Meninblack (even though The Gospel was Hugh's concept, it says so on the sleeve)

I'd love to see him collaborate with other musicians, stretch his wings and do something outside of having to think in terms of "Stranglers music" (which means "imitation 1977") or making a "Stranglers" album that's not really The Stranglers. Perhaps get Toby in for some outside-of-the-box synth experimentation. Baz doesn't strike me as being the type to want to make experimental music (he's not even really into The Stranglers experimental stuff) so it'd be great if he could work with a guitarist that's willing to experiment and not fall back on blues cliches.

Some of the best Stranglers music was made when they were just pleasing themselves first and hoping their audience would come with them. I think if JJ Burnel & Friends made an album, it would sound like competent rock band trying to imitate The Stranglers. I'd rather have 100% JJ than imitation Stranglers.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

One thing I am disappointed with are a couple of the synth sounds. Not the cembalet, Raven lead and other bread and butter stuff but I thought the stage intro to JLNOE was weak (that may be playback anyway). Also some Feline-era sounds fall short of the original (no specific spoiler). I thought he may have upgraded to the new Oberheim for this tour.
Let's Boogie
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

When Jet brought what was left of Johnny Sox, including Hugh, to Guildford, JJ joined them and The Stranglers were born.
During the most successful and creative years (77-83) JJ (co-)wrote and sang many of those classic tracks. Taking the lead on some international hits (Something Better Change, European Female, Five Minutes). He is entitled to carry on leading this band as long as he wants to I think. Even though I do have criticism on the current and former line ups, on the setlists, on some vocals of newer members, they are still a great live band and I am gutted not being able to see them before October most likely.
It's never the same when line ups change of course but after following them for decades I still get goosebumps when Waltz starts. Long live the Stranglers (or JJ ajd friends) ;)
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
kenl

Post by kenl »

ozymandias wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 23:56
StanInBlack wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 18:20 I understand the definition of "trolling" perfectly well. Hint: it's not supposed to mean someone expressing an opinion that's counter to yours.
I like how you disingenuously quote-mined that little bit. I'll repeat the rest for context:
ozymandias wrote: That’s a mischaracterisation. I’d didn’t say I’d ban him [for trolling] because I disagree with him – that would be ridiculous. I’d ban him from *this board* for trolling *this board*, which he clearly is.
ozymandias wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 16:09This idea that it’s somehow “JJ and Friends” is just blatant nonsense.
StanInBlack wrote: Is it?
Yes, yes it is.
ozymandias wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 16:09You’re drawing a false equivalence between The Stranglers and The Jam; they’re very different bands.
StanInBlack wrote: Different bands, same situation. One original member (in both cases, a bassist who occasionally wrote and sang) and several other members that are simply there to make up the numbers. From the Jam had the sense to not call it The Jam. JJ Burnel & Friends insist on calling what they do The Stranglers. To my mind, and many others, it isn't. What it is, is a competent band playing Stranglers music, but to call that The Stranglers is a huge stretch.
I'm sorry, but I think you just inadvertently compared JJ's contribution to The Stranglers with Bruce Foxton's to The Jam (I can think of four songs he sings, two of which he wrote, and one of which is London Traffic. Which is terrible, although not as execrable as Slow Boat to Trowbridge. (See, we can all shoehorn in digs at our favourite anti-hero.) I think the fact that you label JJ as "a bassist who occasionally wrote and sang" is revealing.

Anyway, enough. Objectively, you troll this board. Fuck knows why you do it, but you bring a nasty toxicity which I (and others) can do without - there's enough shit in the world without having to wade through your incontinent slurry when all I want is a five minute break from the bleakness of life to check up on the band.

Jim is unwilling or unable to curb this - it's his site and he can do what he wants. It's a shame - The Stranglers deserve better than this.
👏👏👏
kenl

Post by kenl »

StanInBlack wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 00:49 I'd be well up for JJ doing something weird and arty as a solo project, maybe another concept piece like Euroman Cometh or The Gospel According to the Meninblack (even though The Gospel was Hugh's concept, it says so on the sleeve)
You don't know much about the Stranglers do you?

The concept was only about the sleeve for the album!