50th Anniversary Setlist?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Re: 50th Anniversary Setlist?

Post by ThinkTank »

:grin: That was funny @forklift / figure skating comment

Yeah the football analogy is the biggest nonsense of all made up by Jet or JJ to justify what they are doing with changing band members all the time. Sometimes they they must think fans will believe anything and follow blindly what ever they say .

If the Stranglers were really exactly like a football teams then Jet,Dave JJ and Hugh would have all been replaced by younger musicians about the same time as their career had started. No team has 50 - 70 year olds playing football
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

toneinstoke wrote: 16 May 2023, 19:24 It's Glasgow FFS, and it's a wonderful atmosphere ever time I've been !
Agreed I've never been there myself but all the gigs I've heard there from this band has been excellent with such a fantastic atmosphere too.....sounds a great venue to be a part of.
I do miss the gigs and atmosphere and I can watch audios to the cows come home and it's just not the same that's why I can't really judge them properly live nowday's as I'm not there as once was as a fan and on the ground so to speak I listen to the fans who have been there 1st hand ....they are the ones who can really give a good judgement.
I've liked what I have heard so far and that's only hearing snippets of videos let alone being theres where you can then really hear 1st hand the full production and harmonics of the place which is totally different ball game to hearing the same gig on vid..I've only been able to tell myself actually being there then you can you really judge for yourself properly and give and honest opinion.
I think the glasgow gigs over the decades to me have always sounded fantastic to me with the band always thriving on the places fantastic atmosphere and the fans who are there too....sounds a great place.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 13 Mar 2024, 19:44, edited 1 time in total.
Palais23
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais23 »

Nostalgia? Yeah sure. But, I must admit apart from the 81 gigs when I first saw them, every Stranglers' gig I have attended I have felt a bit of nostalgia (even from 83). Nostalgia and yearning for them to play songs from 77-80 - even when I was in my teens. Blame punk.
Stan, even though I agree that a very important part of a band is the music they produce, I don't believe that a band should be judged purely on their records. I think that with a traditional band, they can be judged on live performances in addition. Some bands are simply very good live and non descrip on record or vice versa.
Jim says that some of his best gigs were Mk2 gigs - this was simply another version of the band. The irony is that they sounded less like Mk1 live, than the latest version.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Palais23 wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 19:33 Nostalgia? Yeah sure. But, I must admit apart from the 81 gigs when I first saw them, every Stranglers' gig I have attended I have felt a bit of nostalgia (even from 83). Nostalgia and yearning for them to play songs from 77-80 - even when I was in my teens. Blame punk.
Stan, even though I agree that a very important part of a band is the music they produce, I don't believe that a band should be judged purely on their records. I think that with a traditional band, they can be judged on live performances in addition. Some bands are simply very good live and non descrip on record or vice versa.
Jim says that some of his best gigs were Mk2 gigs - this was simply another version of the band. The irony is that they sounded less like Mk1 live, than the latest version.
Well it is each to their own on different stages and members with this bands long career but for me only this current line up is more mk1 sounding which being the mk1 fan I am that's what I prefer than what mk11 was dojng they sure had the energy live if you saw them and enjoyed what they we doing musically and Paul had such a great voice no doubting there but for me only they were so far away from the band I enjoyed and followed up to' 90 where as this current line up is as near to mk1 in every department as your gonna get and maybe that's why I like them because they sound like the band I enjoyed and followed in my youth having returned more to the originals grass roots sound again for some past years and albums now.
But that's the good thing about music we all differ and will all prefer different stages and members from this band past really long....50 years worth now....lol
Nice to hear JJ dedicate the Raven to Dave and Jet.........lovely touch I thought.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Stan, Newcastle tomorrow. Practically on your doorstep. Get those docs polished and get down there!

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

theraven1979 wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 20:38 Stan, Newcastle tomorrow. Practically on your doorstep. Get those docs polished and get down there!
It goes without saying that I won't be there. Can't be bothered.
Palais23 wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 19:33Stan, even though I agree that a very important part of a band is the music they produce, I don't believe that a band should be judged purely on their records. I think that with a traditional band, they can be judged on live performances in addition.
Sure, but ultimately in the long run I'm not sure it matters. When all is said and done and the band have long ceased, it'll be the records that remain. Years down the line, the only people that'll really care whether or not they were any cop at The Crown and Duck in 19-seventysomething were those that were there, assuming that they're still around. Everyone else that cares enough will be like "have you HEARD this Gospel According to the Meninblack album?"

Example: I love Small Faces, and consider their 1967 self-titled album on Immediate and Ogden's Nut Gone Flake to be two of my favourite albums ever. My vinyl copies of both, as well as my collection of vintage Small Faces singles are amongst some of the prized records in my collection. Did I ever see Small Faces live? Obviously not. Do I care that I never saw them live? Not really. Does it make me less of a fan? Of course not.
Palais23
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais23 »

StanInBlack wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 20:46
theraven1979 wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 20:38 Stan, Newcastle tomorrow. Practically on your doorstep. Get those docs polished and get down there!
It goes without saying that I won't be there. Can't be bothered.
Palais23 wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 19:33Stan, even though I agree that a very important part of a band is the music they produce, I don't believe that a band should be judged purely on their records. I think that with a traditional band, they can be judged on live performances in addition.
Sure, but ultimately in the long run I'm not sure it matters. When all is said and done and the band have long ceased, it'll be the records that remain. Years down the line, the only people that'll really care whether or not they were any cop at The Crown and Duck in 19-seventysomething were those that were there, assuming that they're still around. Everyone else that cares enough will be like "have you HEARD this Gospel According to the Meninblack album?"

Example: I love Small Faces, and consider their 1967 self-titled album on Immediate and Ogden's Nut Gone Flake to be two of my favourite albums ever. My vinyl copies of both, as well as my collection of vintage Small Faces singles are amongst some of the prized records in my collection. Did I ever see Small Faces live? Obviously not. Do I care that I never saw them live? Not really. Does it make me less of a fan? Of course not.
But if you dismiss Jim's suggestion of the Newcastle dare, you miss out on either a) having a great time at the gig (and between us you wouldn't have to let us know) or b) shouting insults at Baz during Hallow. Either way, it would be a memorable evening for you. You shouldn't really wait for their 60th anniversary, there could well be a different version of the band. :wink:
Palais23
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais23 »

I wouldn't suggest anyone on this forum is less of a fan for not attending a gig or not buying a record. It's just that I love going to gigs because it is really a different experience than listening to a record- I appreciate both. However, a great gig will always live with me (also some crap ones!). That said I accept that not always fans can attend gigs for a multitude of reasons and it is not for anyone to judge them less.
I will listen to your favourite Faves albums.
However, you don't wish you ever had a chance to see them play live? Really I'm gutted I never saw The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, MC5 etc.
Homer
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Homer »

ThinkTank wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 18:40
Sometimes they they must think fans will believe anything and follow blindly what ever they say .

Trouble is, some of them still do.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Ok I'm keeping away from main set list,but I know a few songs they are playing,and I was very disappointed at the pedestrian version of Sewer,it's like Jim is struggling with it? Major Kudu.
kenl
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by kenl »

Greatkudu wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 21:54 Ok I'm keeping away from main set list,but I know a few songs they are playing,and I was very disappointed at the pedestrian version of Sewer,it's like Jim is struggling with it? Major Kudu.
Nope, don't think that's the case.
airflamesred
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by airflamesred »

Greatkudu wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 21:54 Ok I'm keeping away from main set list,but I know a few songs they are playing,and I was very disappointed at the pedestrian version of Sewer,it's like Jim is struggling with it? Major Kudu.
Well, like Baz, he's not known for being a Stranglers fan.