MADNESS

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

MADNESS

Post by gizzard »

Saw Madness last night in the glorious setting of Westonbirt Arboretum(nr Tetbury Glos).
Fantastic gig in a beautuful setting on a glorious summers evening.
As it was only five minutes from where I live the Mrs dropped me and me bruv there so we could have a few beers(only £2 a pint which was just the job!)
They played all the hits and more in front of 10,000 people.

One of the most enjoyable gigs I've been to in a long time.

:grin:
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
paulinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by paulinblack »

I took my wife out to Westonbirt Arboritum on this day 13 years ago. Later that evening, when she took me out for a birthday meal (today is my birthday), I had the manageress bring out a massive bouquet of flowers and I got down on one knee and proposed.

Ahem ! ....Sorry, that was slightly off topic...I'll get my coat !

Paul ' Memory - all alone in the moonlight. I can dream of the old days. Life was beautiful then'
G-L-O-S...Living in a flood plain!
Mad Hatter
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Mad Hatter »

I love the music of Madness.

Unfortunatley, I can't say that I enjoyed the muscical 'Our House' which is based around the music of the band. The story line is naff and the interpretation of the great songs of Madness is poor. If anyone is thinking of seeing this when it tours the UK, my advise would be to give it a miss.
daniellameijvis
Rats Rally

Post by daniellameijvis »

I love the music of Madness its a good band
I didn.t know that they still existet
DANIELLA
seeingtree
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by seeingtree »

Discounting the Wombles at Musselburgh town hall, Madness were the first band I ever saw. Top band. Still are. :grin:
col in a go go
Mad Hatter
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Mad Hatter »

And what's wrong with the Wombles .... ? :!:
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I saw Madness last year at the Move fest (after the Stranglers - actually a few acts after The Stranglers!) and they were jolly good fun indeed. Their fans are more obsessive than us lot - This one guy was doing the Madness dance with an umbrella and he musta spent years in his bedroom perfecting it - it was entertaing just watching this guy with the brolly and pork pie hat.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

Mad Hatter wrote:I love the music of Madness.

Unfortunatley, I can't say that I enjoyed the muscical 'Our House' which is based around the music of the band. The story line is naff and the interpretation of the great songs of Madness is poor. If anyone is thinking of seeing this when it tours the UK, my advise would be to give it a miss.
It kept the young'un mesmerised when it was on the telly at New Year '03, when she was only 2 months old.
Totally quiet for all the time it was on. Don't knock it.

I thought it was a decent interpretation of the music, but I'm not a Madness Fan.
If it was the MIB getting the treament, then maybe, it could be a whole different ball game.
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
Paul
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Paul »

saw them at finsbury park at their 'farewell gig' many years ago.
a freind of mine has a tattoo to commemorate this farewell gig, along with a rather nice stranglers tattoo.
It was a great gig in front of a massive crowd and I've seen em since at the gmex in Manchester.
I've gone off them as a band though, their music is allright but looking back to before the finsbury park gig, they were finished as a band, a spent force musically and live. The finsbury park gig was massively advertised and caught the imagination cos it was billed as being their last ever gig. When it sold out they added another date the following night, which slightly pissed us off, cos we thought we'd be at an 'historic' gig, after those 2 gigs they did a major arena tour soon afterwards and their career was back on track.
at the gig itself suggs made a tit of himself by acting hard and swearing a lot, despite the fact that there was a lot of kids in the audience.
the audience also comprised of 'factions' from all over london who took great pride on chanting at each other, and then gave Morrisey (the support slot-who was excellent) a very hard time by chanting 'Morrisey's a wanker' all through is set, which he cut short, and all because he was from Manchester.

Fuck Madness.
....near the nearside window.....
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

theraven1979 wrote:I saw Madness last year at the Move fest (after the Stranglers - actually a few acts after The Stranglers!) and they were jolly good fun indeed. Their fans are more obsessive than us lot - This one guy was doing the Madness dance with an umbrella and he musta spent years in his bedroom perfecting it - it was entertaing just watching this guy with the brolly and pork pie hat.

Jim
At the Westonbirt gig there were loads in pork pie hats with inflatable saxaphones and also quite a few groups in safari gear and docs like the band in the Night Boat To Cairo video.
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
seeingtree
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by seeingtree »

Mad Hatter wrote:And what's wrong with the Wombles .... ? :!:
bearing in mind I STILL have an orinoco who sits in the corner of the room, I'll tell you what was wrong with wombles :-)

I was...4 or 5 years old, very small and they were about 6 and a half feet tall, orinoco nearly flattened me when he patted my head and they were very scary - they never looked that big on tv!

Closest thing I've ever had to an acid trip I think. Just....surreal :grin:
col in a go go