50th Anniversary Setlist?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Re: 50th Anniversary Setlist?

Post by aldinblack »

alaninblack wrote:Genetix, compare the pair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79DVkVEghHE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNZP8Hdqa14

The 50th version, compared to the 40th. The 50th sound is poor and does not do the drums any justice, but I think Jim does a good job and Toby does not try and mimic Dave at all, there are no "Davism's" if that is a word ? I think he just plays and sings with some respect to the original and Dave. No over emphasis on the words "Genetix", "Gene Regulation" and the line "impossible to lose" etc.. It would be worse if he tried to ham it all up and sound like Dave, but to his credit, he defiantly did not.
I agree, the sound quality is one thing...but that's just a poor recording of the 50th.

I can't see the problem with Toby's vocals at all.
On the 40th, well Dave just sounds like Dave.
It's hardly sublime singing is it, from either of them?
But it doesn't matter, it's not that important. It's more about the instrumentation and getting it right and tight when playing a track like this live. So that it doesn't just sound messy.
I much prefer Dave's vocal on the record anyway.

Sent from my moto g62 5G using Tapatalk

I Hate You !
Palais23
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais23 »

iain wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 10:18 Such miserable begrudgery on here.

Anyhow, loved the show last night on home turf in Belfast.
Best of the three so far, even though Baroque was, in JJ's words, a car crash
Yeah, when I saw them in Stoke a couple of years back, JJ really concentrated playing Baroque and looked relieved by the end of the song - it was a good version on that night.
ozymandias
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by ozymandias »

Christ. I see it’s the same old tired shit churned out by the same old tedious bores. That montage of “The Stranglers”? Fucking over 30 years ago, get over it. Ironically your idealised version never even existed – at least choose photos of when they were actually all in the band. And if that’s the incarnation of the band you enjoy, just go and listen to their first nine albums, or even 10 if you can bear it. If you prefer Hugh’s stuff now – good for you: lap it up. Ignore the last 30 years. We all know your thoughts on “the Stranglers are a tribute band” and “JJ and Friends”, you’re adding nothing to it. You’re redundant; you keep repeating yourselves; you say the same things over and over.

I’ve seen all versions of the Stranglers dozens of times. I’ve not seen them on this tour, nor on the previous three or four; it’s not for me anymore. But I don’t feel the need to dump on them – they’re completely entitled to do whatever they want as long as they’re enjoying it and there’s a market for it. They don’t have any obligation to protect some pasty-faced keyboard warrior’s notion of “their legacy”.
jeromeinparis
Down In The Sewer

Post by jeromeinparis »

ozymandias wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 12:35 Christ. I see it’s the same old tired shit churned out by the same old tedious bores. That montage of “The Stranglers”? Fucking over 30 years ago, get over it. Ironically your idealised version never even existed – at least choose photos of when they were actually all in the band. And if that’s the incarnation of the band you enjoy, just go and listen to their first nine albums, or even 10 if you can bear it. If you prefer Hugh’s stuff now – good for you: lap it up. Ignore the last 30 years. We all know your thoughts on “the Stranglers are a tribute band” and “JJ and Friends”, you’re adding nothing to it. You’re redundant; you keep repeating yourselves; you say the same things over and over.

I’ve seen all versions of the Stranglers dozens of times. I’ve not seen them on this tour, nor on the previous three or four; it’s not for me anymore. But I don’t feel the need to dump on them – they’re completely entitled to do whatever they want as long as they’re enjoying it and there’s a market for it. They don’t have any obligation to protect some pasty-faced keyboard warrior’s notion of “their legacy”.
Agree ! BlablablablaBlablablablaBlablablablaBlablablablaBlablablablaBlablablablaBlablablablaBlablablablaBlablablablaBlablablablaBlablablablaBlablablablaBlablablablaBlablablablaBlablablablaBlablablablaBlablablablaBlablablablaBlablablablaBlablablablaBlablablablaBlablablablaBlablablablaBlablablablaBlablablabla
From Paris with love, and I'll be there in RAH in two weeks, can't wait ! And in Paris on october !
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

ozymandias wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 12:35 Christ. I see it’s the same old tired shit churned out by the same old tedious bores. That montage of “The Stranglers”? Fucking over 30 years ago, get over it. Ironically your idealised version never even existed – at least choose photos of when they were actually all in the band. And if that’s the incarnation of the band you enjoy, just go and listen to their first nine albums, or even 10 if you can bear it. If you prefer Hugh’s stuff now – good for you: lap it up. Ignore the last 30 years. We all know your thoughts on “the Stranglers are a tribute band” and “JJ and Friends”, you’re adding nothing to it. You’re redundant; you keep repeating yourselves; you say the same things over and over.

This 100%
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Bear Cage wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 00:39
StanInBlack wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 15:55
gizzard wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 15:43 The big question that has yet to be answered is has Stan ever seen the band or indeed Hugh live?
Yes. It's totally irrelevant, though. Whether or not I've seen 1 gig or 10 gigs or 100 gigs or even 0 gigs doesn't change anything. It's a totally moot point. Besides, most people judge an artist on their recorded legacy anyway.
I take that as a no then
:smt005
Take it any way you want to take it. Although, I suppose for some the word "yes" means "no" and JJ Burnel & Friends means "The Stranglers" ... I'm sure for some the sky is also green and the grass is blue. Either way, it's irrelevant and has nothing to do with anything, least of all with JJ deciding to stretch the Stranglers brand as far as he can take it.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

I had to comment as ironically and something that was very amusing to myself a lot of those comments are very poignant because they could very much describe the current line up today.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I think this lineup and tour was always going to be questioned. As there's only JJ in the band and if I recall the last tour was supposed to be "the final tour" or whatever. The tours lean more and more on the MKI years and it's always an "anniversary" or "greatest hits" package. The radical thing about this tour is that we have "new" old MKI songs that haven't been played in a while.

So the longer it goes on the more people question the integrity of it (and quite rightly). Stan is the extreme version of that and "feeding the troll" as it were is only going to fan the flames of his feelings towards this lineup.

As I've said on a few occasions recently just because I don't agree with someone's opinion doesn't mean it shouldn't be posted. I kinda agree with what he's saying but he's perhaps a little too direct in his approach (for some people).

Interestingly, I have noticed with this tour there seem to be more people who are choosing not to see the lineup for various reasons but wish the band well. I'm one of them. I've enjoyed reading the reviews.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

ozymandias wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 12:35That montage of “The Stranglers”?
The Stranglers. No inverted commas necessary.
ozymandias wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 12:35if that’s the incarnation of the band you enjoy, just go and listen to their first nine albums, or even 10 if you can bear it. If you prefer Hugh’s stuff now – good for you: lap it up.
This is what I do anyway?
ozymandias wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 12:35Ignore the last 30 years.
This is what most do anyway? Even JJB&F themselves, judging by their latest setlists.
oliverj1999
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by oliverj1999 »

So much negativity on here, your supposed to be fans not haters. God imagine what would happen when JJ says no more! Be thankful they're still going and willing to play after so many years and so much change.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

I don't know if anyone else feels like me about it all. But for me where once I would've travelled around to see them multiple times on any tour, now on this one I'm just going to one gig.
(Although it does look like I'll be seeing them again at the Stone Valley, as they have recently been added to that, and that's become a regular for me over the last few years + I purchased early bird tickets before any lineup was announced...).

Anyway apart from anything else it's the only way I'm gonna get to see JJ (who was / is just as much of a "main man" for The Stranglers as Hugh or Dave or Jet) whilst he's still around and doing it...

Sent from my moto g62 5G using Tapatalk

I Hate You !
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

oliverj1999 wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 16:15 So much negativity on here, your supposed to be fans not haters.
Being a fan of something doesn't mean you have to accept everything that they do, though. Also, many people here seem to be forgetting how much shit PR got thrown his way back in the day. None of it by me, might I add.