50th Anniversary Setlist?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: 50th Anniversary Setlist?

Post by toilerinblack »

oliverj1999 wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 19:45
Ruby wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 18:52 I just find it a bit ironic that 'fans' who have no interest in the current Stranglers are all over this thread. It isn't my cup of tea either,a JJ only Stranglers,which is why I won't be attending any shows but what skin off anybody else's nose I don't know.
Look I'm only mid 20s and the first time I saw the stranglers was 2013. I wish I got to see the Hugh era and even early 90s with PR but I'm happy to see the band it is now.
Well that's great to hear that many different fans think that this band are so good who have joined following them from all different times and stages.....glad you enjoy what I believe have been one of the best bands ever and if I had first started seeing them when you did I wouldn't know any difference I would enjoy seeing them because of their great music and would be the first to walk into the Albert Hall at the end of this tour lol
Glad you enjoy the band from when you started seeing them
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

oliverj1999 wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 19:45
Ruby wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 18:52 I just find it a bit ironic that 'fans' who have no interest in the current Stranglers are all over this thread. It isn't my cup of tea either,a JJ only Stranglers,which is why I won't be attending any shows but what skin off anybody else's nose I don't know.
Look I'm only mid 20s and the first time I saw the stranglers was 2013. I wish I got to see the Hugh era and even early 90s with PR but I'm happy to see the band it is now.
Interesting it's great you go,as a fan since 79, whatever anyone thinks about JJ being the only original in band,they are making these gigs special with all the nice touches in production etc.Major Styles.
stuartinblack
Rats Rally

Post by stuartinblack »

As I said glasgow has be up there.with one of the greatest set lists EVER regardless the line up roll on albert hall and breathe the other nite was brilliant off a brilliant album still listen to it
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

stuartinblack wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 20:22 As I said glasgow has be up there.with one of the greatest set lists EVER regardless the line up roll on albert hall and breathe the other nite was brilliant off a brilliant album still listen to it
Yes what a great track breathe and they did a great Stallion off DM too it's not all mk1 on the night
It's been nice reading people's great reviews to the startings of this tour and in a way I wish I was going to the RAH gig too i imagine it's going to be a special last night send off to this tour and what a place to hold the last night it'll will be new waves....last night of the proms lol
oliverj1999
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by oliverj1999 »

Wish there was more mark II material though like Norfolk coast, valley of the birds, Still Life, Long Black Veil and even something from Giants and more Suite XVI
Last edited by oliverj1999 on 11 Mar 2024, 21:33, edited 1 time in total.
kenl
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by kenl »

oliverj1999 wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 21:33 Wish there was more mark II material though like Norfolk coast, valley of the birds, Still Life, Long Black Veil and even something from Giants and more Suite XVI
I would prefer NC or Big Thing Coming as Lost Control is not a song that I am a huge fan of. It is very interesting musically though.

Still Life, Valley are too Paul for me.

Plenty good songs on Suite, Relentless is superb live and really has Baz all over it.
oliverj1999
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by oliverj1999 »

kenl wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 22:12
oliverj1999 wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 21:33 Wish there was more mark II material though like Norfolk coast, valley of the birds, Still Life, Long Black Veil and even something from Giants and more Suite XVI
I would prefer NC or Big Thing Coming as Lost Control is not a song that I am a huge fan of. It is very interesting musically though.

Still Life, Valley are too Paul for me.

Plenty good songs on Suite, Relentless is superb live and really has Baz all over it.
Summat Outanowt and Spectre of Love are long overdue
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

StanInBlack wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 15:55
gizzard wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 15:43 The big question that has yet to be answered is has Stan ever seen the band or indeed Hugh live?
Yes. It's totally irrelevant, though. Whether or not I've seen 1 gig or 10 gigs or 100 gigs or even 0 gigs doesn't change anything. It's a totally moot point. Besides, most people judge an artist on their recorded legacy anyway.
I take that as a no then
:smt005
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

Genetix, compare the pair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79DVkVEghHE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNZP8Hdqa14

The 50th version, compared to the 40th. The 50th sound is poor and does not do the drums any justice, but I think Jim does a good job and Toby does not try and mimic Dave at all, there are no "Davism's" if that is a word ? I think he just plays and sings with some respect to the original and Dave. No over emphasis on the words "Genetix", "Gene Regulation" and the line "impossible to lose" etc.. It would be worse if he tried to ham it all up and sound like Dave, but to his credit, he defiantly did not.
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

Bear Cage wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 00:39
StanInBlack wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 15:55
gizzard wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 15:43 The big question that has yet to be answered is has Stan ever seen the band or indeed Hugh live?
Yes. It's totally irrelevant, though. Whether or not I've seen 1 gig or 10 gigs or 100 gigs or even 0 gigs doesn't change anything. It's a totally moot point. Besides, most people judge an artist on their recorded legacy anyway.
I take that as a no then
:smt005
Im sure there is a very good reason why Stan has never been to a Hugh / Stranglers, JJ and Mates concert, would be interesting to know why, but it may be too much of a personal question to be answered here ?
twatinblack
Down In The Sewer

Post by twatinblack »

alaninblack wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 03:55 Genetix, compare the pair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79DVkVEghHE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNZP8Hdqa14

The 50th version, compared to the 40th. The 50th sound is poor and does not do the drums any justice, but I think Jim does a good job and Toby does not try and mimic Dave at all, there are no "Davism's" if that is a word ? I think he just plays and sings with some respect to the original and Dave. No over emphasis on the words "Genetix", "Gene Regulation" and the line "impossible to lose" etc.. It would be worse if he tried to ham it all up and sound like Dave, but to his credit, he defiantly did not.
Great, comparing an official soundboard recording to a phone recording.
iain
Ugly
Ugly

Post by iain »

Such miserable begrudgery on here.

Anyhow, loved the show last night on home turf in Belfast.
Best of the three so far, even though Baroque was, in JJ's words, a car crash
rotten thoughts