50th Anniversary Setlist?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: 50th Anniversary Setlist?

Post by toilerinblack »

theraven1979 wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 17:34 There's nothing to stop him celebrating 50 years of a music career (The Stranglers being a part of that).

Jim
toilerinblack wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 17:19 Lots of things really...Hugh the solo artist isn't gonna push the fact of 50 years of the Stranglers when he is not in the Stranglers and hasn't been for the past 34 years of it..
Yes your right that sounds good he should do...50 years as an artist is something to be proud of agreed
Personally his achievement over everybody's 50 in a nice way has been the best speaking for myself only that is because his first16 years as an artist with the band was some of their best and his own 10 studio albums for me only have all been simply been amazing he hasn't produced a bad one yet for me only,his full record as an artist over 50 years has been astonishing.
Happy 50th Hugh!
Put the 50 on future promotions.
oliverj1999
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by oliverj1999 »

Wish to see more La Folie songs be added to their setlist as the days go by, no The Man They Love To Hate, Strange Little Girl, La Folie (song)
twatinblack
Down In The Sewer

Post by twatinblack »

oliverj1999 wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 17:58 Wish to see more La Folie songs be added to their setlist as the days go by, no The Man They Love To Hate, Strange Little Girl, La Folie (song)
Strange Little Girl will most likely replace Ships that Pass in The Night which is funny because the same thing happened in 85 and 90.
BankMan
Down In The Sewer

Post by BankMan »

StanInBlack wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 14:43
BankMan wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 13:19Toby’s performance on Genetix and should he be doing it? Of course it’s not going to sound like Dave, how could it.
Not that he didn't try, judging by the video footage. Not only is his voice completely unsuitable for the track (and therefore, we can assume all other Dave-sung songs too), but he tries to incorporate some of Dave's vocal tics when he and Dave are totally different characters/personalities. It comes off as comical and ridiculous as a subpar Youtube cover.
BankMan wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 13:19Hugh was the main man. No he wasn’t.
Which of course explains why the band calling itself The Stranglers is still, multiple decades later, performing a lot of his work.
BankMan wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 13:19Tribute band? Don’t be daft. Bands evolve and adapt when people depart for whatever reason.
Well, you implied as much yourself that The Stranglers (talking about Black/Burnel/Cornwell/Greenfield) had a particular type of musical chemistry when they performed and recorded together. This chemistry was so finely balanced that, as time as shown, if any one of them was replaced then it'd mess with the sound, feel and identity of the band. With only JJ left, sonically and visually it's barely recognisable as The Stranglers. Yeah, they can play all the notes in the right order, but they don't have the same feel or personality or chemistry.

As for bands evolving, what exactly have they evolved into? (Hint: a tribute band) ... Doesn't evolution also imply improvement? It's difficult to consider whatever this is an improvement on Black/Burnel/Cornwell/Greenfield.
BankMan wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 13:19Hugh calling the current line up a tribute act. Pipe down old son.
He's not wrong. He has every right to draw attention to his involvement in The Stranglers, as he put an incredible amount of work and creative energy into making that band a success and he's proud of that work. You don't get to take that away from him because he decided - correctly - that the band were a spent force creatively and to leave. Hugh still has his identity, though. Baz has still yet to develop an identity beyond "Hugh Cornwell impersonator" after over two decades. JJ Burnel & Friends? Becoming ever more anonymous and faceless identity-wise with each member change.

Let's remind ourselves of what The Stranglers look like:
In response

Each to their own about how they feel about Toby’s Genetix. I’ll reserve judgement until I’ve seen and heard it live

The Stranglers not performing stuff that three other members of the band made a huge contribution to and in many cases wrote would be bizarre. They were a band, it wasn’t all Hugh’s work. As time has passed and those original members are no longer there, I can see why it can be argued by some that it has become further and further removed from what it was. On that, you pays your money and makes your choice. Mine is to go and see it and appreciate it for what it is now, as I do with other bands whose line up has changed over the years

Of course Hugh has a right to draw attention to his past involvement, if that’s what he wants to do. As I’ve said elsewhere, just a shame for him after all these years that he feels the need to do so and that his identity and promotion still requires it. Can see your point about Baz, but I bet it won’t be keeping him up at night

You don’t need to remind me what The Stranglers MK1 look like, I saw them plenty of times
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Tbh....Hallow did surprise me I wanted it and many on here said it too and they delivered it which I didn't think they would so they can still sit up and take note and deliver to surprise many I was surprised.
Toby has a voice for himself which is a plus for future new material if they do that is they may well stick to the two frontmen.
I think it was a very hard ask for him to do genetix which basically is impossible to do the way Dave did lol....but hey full credit for having ago and letting especially the new fans still hear Dave's gem in 2024....I think he'd look down with a cheeky grin with exeptance.
For me they haven't put a foot wrong they pushed the boat out and gone the extra mile what with the suits,gold guitar and gold logo on the drums......very nice touch.
I was saying on the 40th at the RAH the specialness of the ...suits and strings....was such a classy touch and they've done it again on the 50th they know the importance of specialness which is so nice to see again....we'll done the Stranglers.
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

I just find it a bit ironic that 'fans' who have no interest in the current Stranglers are all over this thread. It isn't my cup of tea either,a JJ only Stranglers,which is why I won't be attending any shows but what skin off anybody else's nose I don't know.
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

the new fans
Who??
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
kenl
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by kenl »

Ruby wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 18:52 I just find it a bit ironic that 'fans' who have no interest in the current Stranglers are all over this thread. It isn't my cup of tea either,a JJ only Stranglers,which is why I won't be attending any shows but what skin off anybody else's nose I don't know.
You are missing out. The show they put on is superb.
adeinblack
Rats Rally

Post by adeinblack »

Less than half the songs they are playing are HC vocals.

Of course the main period 76-82 will be heavily played, that's their best 6 albums that mainly featured the popular songs that made them.

Jet & Dave can't play because they have passed away so its either retire or continue on the balance the songs are so good, just choose to go or not.

The Stranglers still make NEW music, enjoy it or unenjoy it.

HC still makes NEW music, enjoy it or unenjoy it.
twatinblack
Down In The Sewer

Post by twatinblack »

adeinblack wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 19:19 Less than half the songs they are playing are HC vocals.

Of course the main period 76-82 will be heavily played, that's their best 6 albums that mainly featured the popular songs that made them.

Jet & Dave can't play because they have passed away so its either retire or continue on the balance the songs are so good, just choose to go or not.

It is half HC vocal songs.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

adeinblack wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 19:19 Less than half the songs they are playing are HC vocals.

That basically are the facts in black and white as you have stated
On each category like you say .....it's like or loathe....your choice.
That's the bottom line to everything come band or Hugh....each to their own... that's music
For me my days of the band gigs are done...not because their crap because their not their very good...it's becuase I'm an old mk1 fan from back in the day and my descion is based on the very sad loss of Jet & Dave with only JJ left which for me was just a bit to much and I have seen them loads of times without Hugh there were still three there and at that point I would see both camps but that has now stopped and again not because their crap or just not good enough or because they as some say are a tribute band because I don't see them like that but I understand many thinking that they are who are still very very good and it must be such a great night for those who still go.
The few reviews I have read from this tour have been amazing and it seems fans have had such a great time and even whatever type of a stranlgers fan each one of us is isn't it a good thing to hear that your band is still doing so well and so many are still enjoying them ...i can only see positiveness from this tour...but again each to their own view and rightly so and I can understand the many thinking very differently to my views.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 11 Mar 2024, 19:45, edited 2 times in total.
oliverj1999
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by oliverj1999 »

Ruby wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 18:52 I just find it a bit ironic that 'fans' who have no interest in the current Stranglers are all over this thread. It isn't my cup of tea either,a JJ only Stranglers,which is why I won't be attending any shows but what skin off anybody else's nose I don't know.
Look I'm only mid 20s and the first time I saw the stranglers was 2013. I wish I got to see the Hugh era and even early 90s with PR but I'm happy to see the band it is now.