50th Anniversary Setlist?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

kenl
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: 50th Anniversary Setlist?

Post by kenl »

evonx wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 12:05 Saw a video of Who Wants the World in Glasgow. Jim is a great rock drummer but this was just not right. JB definitely had has drums set up like he did exactly to play the patterns to Genetix, WWW, probably also JLNOE, with a certain style and feel.
It is not Jet on the drums, nothing wrong with Jim having his own style.
The live band benefits from his more powerful approach.

And... did Jet not train the man to play the likes of Genetix?
kenl

Post by kenl »

ThinkTank wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 13:26 Just watched some footage of the gigs with Baz and whilst singing Golden Brown on cue goes to the front of the stage mid song and holds his hands out like the messiah of stranglers song writing egging the crowd on to adore him and cheer. I wasn't going to say anything but i have never been a fan of people that jump on the backs of the real geniuses and try to steal other peoples work as their own so something needs to be said i think.

If you appreciate tribute bands then i guess JJ's version of that is the best you can get but at least the other lesser known tribute bands respect the original band a lot more than the replacement of the replacement singer of the original singer, song writer and the main man Hugh Cornwell.
Baz needs to be more respectful if he's going to perform other peoples work and try to palm it off as his own.

Utter dog shit and that could be absolutely any one, any band up there being successful due to the works of Hugh Cornwell and its a huge testament to the main man, Hugh Cornwell why that band is still going after 50 years oh and not forget JJ holding on to the band regardless of what that means or what he has turned them into. Baz has nothing to do with any of that he's just enjoying the praise for something he is not capable of producing himself.

Give me the genuine real authentic band any day not fake tribute acts that JJ has turned them into i would rather nothing than that. Its a very sad moment to see what they have become.
The bit in GB is a "joke" about how Hugh was never able to play the solo successfully live.

He has now given up trying!
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

kenl wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 14:40
ThinkTank wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 13:26 Just watched some footage of the gigs with Baz and whilst singing Golden Brown on cue goes to the front of the stage mid song and holds his hands out like the messiah of stranglers song writing egging the crowd on to adore him and cheer. I wasn't going to say anything but i have never been a fan of people that jump on the backs of the real geniuses and try to steal other peoples work as their own so something needs to be said i think.

If you appreciate tribute bands then i guess JJ's version of that is the best you can get but at least the other lesser known tribute bands respect the original band a lot more than the replacement of the replacement singer of the original singer, song writer and the main man Hugh Cornwell.
Baz needs to be more respectful if he's going to perform other peoples work and try to palm it off as his own.

Utter dog shit and that could be absolutely any one, any band up there being successful due to the works of Hugh Cornwell and its a huge testament to the main man, Hugh Cornwell why that band is still going after 50 years oh and not forget JJ holding on to the band regardless of what that means or what he has turned them into. Baz has nothing to do with any of that he's just enjoying the praise for something he is not capable of producing himself.

Give me the genuine real authentic band any day not fake tribute acts that JJ has turned them into i would rather nothing than that. Its a very sad moment to see what they have become.
The bit in GB is a "joke" about how Hugh was never able to play the solo successfully live.

The joke wore thin.Major Kudu.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

kenl wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 14:40 The bit in GB is a "joke" about how Hugh was never able to play the solo successfully live.

I don't see it as any sort of Hugh mocking at all. Even if it was, it's tongue-in-cheek. Think it's more about playing the iconic solo which you would never find in any guitarists '30 best guitar solo' polls. It's a sort of anti-solo but very effective.
Let's Boogie
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

kenl wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 14:37
evonx wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 12:05 Saw a video of Who Wants the World in Glasgow. Jim is a great rock drummer but this was just not right. JB definitely had has drums set up like he did exactly to play the patterns to Genetix, WWW, probably also JLNOE, with a certain style and feel.

No Jim watched Jet playing Genetix in sound check once ,Jet never formally showed him step by step,to my knowledge.Major Kudu.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

MiB81 wrote:
ThinkTank wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 13:48
MiB81 wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 13:43 Oh do fuck off
Yeah i get that and expected that as abuse is all that you can result to!

One thing i know not to expect is a good reason from you why i am wrong as you wont be able to do that. Its the albatross you have to live with its not my problem carry on. I know you would prefer to stay in you safe and sound Stranglers womb and pretend and not have to deal with the truth
Cock.

And it's patently not all I can "result to" :? As I've just posted an actual review of an actual gig that I actually went to, so therefore have
an actual kinda valid opinion on.
Unlike some.
Anyhoo, end of.
Don't result to name calling. There's a lot of opinions on here that I find laughable but I don't result to that

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
airflamesred

Post by airflamesred »

kenl wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 14:37

I suspect Jet would have shown Ian. Jim is JJs choice.
Waffle waitress
Rats Rally

Post by Waffle waitress »

theraven1979 wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 15:29
MiB81 wrote:
ThinkTank wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 13:48

Yeah i get that and expected that as abuse is all that you can result to!

One thing i know not to expect is a good reason from you why i am wrong as you wont be able to do that. Its the albatross you have to live with its not my problem carry on. I know you would prefer to stay in you safe and sound Stranglers womb and pretend and not have to deal with the truth
Cock.

And it's patently not all I can "result to" :? As I've just posted an actual review of an actual gig that I actually went to, so therefore have
an actual kinda valid opinion on.
Unlike some.
Anyhoo, end of.
Don't result to name calling. There's a lot of opinions on here that I find laughable but I don't result to that

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
🤣🤣🤣🤣
(all that's missing is the choker)

Liberez les Stranglers!
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Well....I've just watched the usher Hall opener......Amazing both visually and the song.
Again a song I love very much and a nice opener change from toiler and from an album that tracks were wanted to be p,aged from and they did exactly that along with a Feline one that Baz has said he likes and finally they did it......all very good in my opinion.
I think they have listened to people's views from the hardcore with what songs would be nice for them to do because for me only they have done just that on many.....big time.
I get they have to pick their bread and butter songs for the majority of fans that have bought a ticket and playing songs they will all know....equally they have done some asked for too from the hardcore I'd like to think....and Baz nailed for me the opener ......very well.
Well done to the band to a cracking start to their special tour.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 10 Mar 2024, 16:21, edited 2 times in total.
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

I guess it is only natural to have a style of one's own so fair do to Jim but, some of these classics only sound 'right' to me when I hear it like Jet played them.
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

toilerinblack wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 15:56 Great great start from me.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

ThinkTank wrote:Just watched some footage of the gigs with Baz and whilst singing Golden Brown on cue goes to the front of the stage mid song and holds his hands out like the messiah of stranglers song writing egging the crowd on to adore him and cheer. I wasn't going to say anything but i have never been a fan of people that jump on the backs of the real geniuses and try to steal other peoples work as their own so something needs to be said i think.

good heavens!

Well I kinda agree that Baz's "joke" has gotten very old and is a bit silly, but it's just something to be taken with a pinch of salt or even laughed at for how ridiculous it is if you like.

I would say the band is still successful not just cause of Hugh, but also because of Jet, Dave, and JJ.

So is it really a tribute band then?
Well how do you define "tribute band" ?
Perhaps it's just a matter of opinion, I dunno really..
But with JJ still there, who has been there all this time, I struggle to label them as a tribute band.

Sent from my moto g62 5G using Tapatalk

I Hate You !