50th Anniversary Setlist?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: 50th Anniversary Setlist?

Post by jason »

Who sang Genetix?
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

jason wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 16:08 Who sang Genetix?
Toby.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

jason wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 16:08 Who sang Genetix?
https://youtu.be/dNZP8Hdqa14?si=_wzMDGdzIVXTzFav
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
twatinblack
Down In The Sewer

Post by twatinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 15:14 Not looked at setlist but I know they played Genetix,to me a big mistake, should have left it alone,to iconic with Jet and Dave,Jim also doesn't have the correct drum configuration to play it properly, should of left it alone IMHO.Major Kudu.
Womp womp
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Just seen the full set list and......impressive..very.
28 great song which includes 2 encores and many there I wanted them to do so I have nothing but praise for their change...mind you I wouldn't of thought they would of started with the one they did even though I love it.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

Greatkudu wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 15:14 Not looked at setlist but I know they played Genetix,to me a big mistake, should have left it alone,to iconic with Jet and Dave,Jim also doesn't have the correct drum configuration to play it properly, should of left it alone IMHO.Major Kudu.
Disagree, it’s a great song and every time it and every other track Dave and Jet contributed to are played they are also a tribute to them (agree Jim doesn’t play it the same, but it’s still sounds good)
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

toilerinblack wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 16:50 mind you I wouldn't of thought they would of started with the one they did even though I love it.
I wasn't far off with what I thought would be a cool idea. We were thinking along the same lines. Not gonna say anymore for those who don't wish to be spoiled.
Let's Boogie
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

As usual, very heavy on Black/Burnel/Cornwell/Greenfield material and the usual lack of faith in their recent material as evidenced by the fact that there were only five songs post-Hugh in a very long set. Do I want to hear "Genetix" without Dave on vocals? No. Any enthusiasm that "Hallow to Our Men" appeared on a setlist is tempered by the realisation that it's not The Stranglers playing it and do I really want to hear Baz half-heartedly forcing his way through a track he likely doesn't even like? Also no.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Morbid curiosity just got the better of me and I checked out the version of "Genetix" from last night. I agree, Jim's drumming feels very lumpen on the track and Toby's voice is completely unsuitable. I would say that this would represent the last shred of credibility disappearing if that hadn't already happened well before this.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Bear Cage wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 17:07every time it and every other track Dave and Jet contributed to are played they are also a tribute to them
This feels like the sort of mental gymnastics one does to convince themselves that this is all business as usual and everything's hunky dory. Also, I suppose by this logic, Hugh should be flattered by the endless tributes to him.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Bear Cage wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 17:07
Disagree, it’s a great song and every time it and every other track Dave and Jet contributed to are played they are also a tribute to them (agree Jim doesn’t play it the same, but it’s still sounds good)
Well said...I agree 100%
We all differ but it's a great song that tributes not only Dave but Jet too...their legacy continues on for even new ears to enjoy I'm sure they would of liked that...again only my one fans opinion who still still likes to hear their amazing work still being played in their honour and tributed by others.
It's mainly excepted very good when Hugh does Dave's work so I would think probably even better with the Stranglers because dave's keyboard parts are being played again on his keyboard obviously Hugh can't do that as he's a guitar orientated trio.
I think it's nice for any musician to have a go however good or bad it sounds for me only t's the best tribute someone can do who appreciates their music so much that they want to play it themselves.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 09 Mar 2024, 17:57, edited 4 times in total.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

I suppose it depends on whether or not you consider a ropey version of a great song a tribute or a compliment. To my mind, it's neither... the biggest compliment or mark of respect would have been to leave it alone. Same goes for the Stranglers brand itself.