50th Anniversary Setlist?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Re: 50th Anniversary Setlist?

Post by ThinkTank »

toilerinblack wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 20:15
ThinkTank wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 20:00
toilerinblack wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 19:53

Then yeah your right then....it's all good for the band if the new followers are that up on the band and their lyrics...shows just how good their songs are that the new followers know so much of their songs.....great stuff and for the bands future moving forwards.
Times have changed for sure,.
I don't know how accurate this gig is to other gigs as it is a television broadcast but the crowd in this gig i think is young and they certainly know the songs. Obviously there are a more mature aged fan as well but i would say 80% are young well they are to me
Here is the link that i am talking about the ages shocked me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWXkQl-yXF0
I think on the whole it's all a good thing the more that like the band and their music,it's quite incredible how this band that is 50 years old can still attract new listerners..not many bands can say that and it also says that new fans also like their new material too as the orginal band ceased writing together over 34 years ago,so the bands music post Hugh is very much liked and appreciated too which is all good for JJ and the band today.
I hope whoever goes has a great time on this 50th tour and let's hope it is a really good and special one for the fans who go to remember forever.
Well i like your sentiment Toiler and always admire your support for them but you know where i stand on this :grin:
ie: To me its 50 years of JJ not 50 years of the Stranglers the last 34 years is something i don't recognise at all or have any respect for. But what i will say is - can hundreds of thousands of fans be wrong? i think so yes lol but i don't care it supports Hugh so its a good result for all
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

ThinkTank wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 20:31
toilerinblack wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 20:15
ThinkTank wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 20:00

I don't know how accurate this gig is to other gigs as it is a television broadcast but the crowd in this gig i think is young and they certainly know the songs. Obviously there are a more mature aged fan as well but i would say 80% are young well they are to me
Here is the link that i am talking about the ages shocked me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWXkQl-yXF0
I think on the whole it's all a good thing the more that like the band and their music,it's quite incredible how this band that is 50 years old can still attract new listerners..not many bands can say that and it also says that new fans also like their new material too as the orginal band ceased writing together over 34 years ago,so the bands music post Hugh is very much liked and appreciated too which is all good for JJ and the band today.
I hope whoever goes has a great time on this 50th tour and let's hope it is a really good and special one for the fans who go to remember forever.
Well i like your sentiment Toiler and always admire your support for them but you know where i stand on this :grin:
ie: To me its 50 years of JJ not 50 years of the Stranglers the last 34 years is something i don't recognise at all or have any respect for. But what i will say is - can hundreds of thousands of fans be wrong? i think so yes lol but i don't care it supports Hugh so its a good result for all
I understand and music is all about what each person the individual likes or dislikes...
For me it's not so much of 50 years of JJ because most or alot or what the 50th tour will consist of will be the mk1 material With Hugh...it will be their material that will get a good airing.
Yes the tour can only be good for Hugh too,I would imagine only that most of the new fans like the old classics from hugh's time or are they into the music post'90 as much?.....I'd guess at the old mk1 material would be the most liked ones with old and new fans....again I wouldn't know I can only speak for myself and what I liked along with my best times with this band....which now is a long time ago along with the old memories...lol....which were the best a long time ago for me as one fans worth only.....lol
stuartinblack
Rats Rally

Post by stuartinblack »

The 1st 4 albums am sure every song had been played live as there is a track to be played that's never before my guess is another Camden afternoon
adeinblack
Rats Rally

Post by adeinblack »

EVERYBODY LOVES YOU WHEN YOUR DEAD
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

stuartinblack wrote: 01 Mar 2024, 07:30 The 1st 4 albums am sure every song had been played live as there is a track to be played that's never before my guess is another Camden afternoon
That will not 'light the internet up' to quote Baz. No, it's gonna be from the dusty vaults.
Let's Boogie
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Apparently they are playing the more obscure set first.
If so then hopefully they'll start it with Hallow, which would be a fantastic opener imo.

Sent from my moto g62 5G using Tapatalk

I Hate You !
BankMan
Down In The Sewer

Post by BankMan »

I’ve read a few times now, mainly from Baz, that it takes them a couple of gigs to get into the full flow and iron out any live glitches

Makes you wonder why they don’t do a couple of low key or secret warm up gigs, particularly as they’ll be playing stuff we haven’t heard in ages. Unless I’m not as on the ball as I used to be

If they were to do them, presumably it would be in the West Country where they practice in the studio
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

BankMan wrote: 02 Mar 2024, 11:27 I’ve read a few times now, mainly from Baz, that it takes them a couple of gigs to get into the full flow and iron out any live glitches

Makes you wonder why they don’t do a couple of low key or secret warm up gigs, particularly as they’ll be playing stuff we haven’t heard in ages. Unless I’m not as on the ball as I used to be

If they were to do them, presumably it would be in the West Country where they practice in the studio
Sometimes when a band isn't in the full flow and it isn't fully rehearsed it can be more dynamic and exciting as it feels more on the edge. If its too rehearsed and perfect well you know ...........
Secret warm up gigs for the hardcore fans is an excellent idea mind.
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

BankMan wrote: 02 Mar 2024, 11:27 I’ve read a few times now, mainly from Baz, that it takes them a couple of gigs to get into the full flow and iron out any live glitches.
Yeah and it just pisses off those paying good money to attend one of the opening shows.It would me anyway.You are right,they should do a rehersal gig or two instead of using the real thing as a warm up.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Intresting points raised ....yeah it is a bit of a two sided coin really warm are gis are great as been said already as they are more raw and dynamic even if there are a few creases to iron out so what it's all part of a raw live act and i for one have loved their more smaller venue warm up gigs that have been better in a way than the more larger polished robotic performances.
I love the more raw with the unexpected it makes it all more exciting and intresting that's why I love the more busker and street style performances it's all close,raw and personal which is why I prefer seeing a Hugh style gig any day of the week that isn't perfectly played exactly the same every time it'll change with improvisation and it turns out how it turns out often for the better I find that can't be repeated again quite the same as it was on that perticular night.....that's real music to me and hugh's like that in my view taking risks with no two gigs sounding quite the same which is what i really like as a musical fan from any act...but we all will differ with what we like and expect from live events.
Some musicians getting it right and perfection is that it should sound exactly the same as the recording which is good and how it is on the tin so to speak others like a difference and taking risks with bordem sounding the same each night....each musicians preference to their own as too the fans likes and dislikes.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Start with So Sexual,followed by Miss You from WiR then straight in to tonight from coup de grim,I was at rehearsals the other day and JJ said keep it a secret,so sorry for set list spoilers,I'm now a marked man🙂
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

BankMan wrote: 02 Mar 2024, 11:27 Makes you wonder why they don’t do a couple of low key or secret warm up gigs, particularly as they’ll be playing stuff we haven’t heard in ages. Unless I’m not as on the ball as I used to be
They do these for every tour. Don't you lot get invited? :wink:
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall