Strangler in the light

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Re: Strangler in the light

Post by aldinblack »

JJ, by his own admission, is a bit of a resentful person.
He still has this thing where he thinks he's been betrayed by people, like Hugh and Ellis.
He believes that he, and/ or The Stranglers as a whole, have never really had the recognition they deserve.

Some will agree with him, others won't. He's perfectly entitled to express his opinions in his book, which he does very well.

I might agree with some of his views, perhaps not all...
But I get it.

Sent from my moto g62 5G using Tapatalk

I Hate You !
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

He knows it, a lot of the fans know it, but some won't accept it and think everyone else is to blame

Jim
aldinblack wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 09:41 JJ, by his own admission, is a bit of a resentful person.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

theraven1979 wrote:He knows it, a lot of the fans know it, but some won't accept it and think everyone else is to blame

Jim
aldinblack wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 09:41 JJ, by his own admission, is a bit of a resentful person.
well, I agree with JJ's angle, to a certain extent. I'm not saying he's right about everything btw..

So if we're gonna try and understand who is to blame, well it depends on who's shoes you're standing in.

As we know there are at least 2 sides to everything, and with Hugh and JJ it's just another relationship gone wrong and neither of them can be totally blameless IMO.

I Hate You !
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

If you define the "blame" as JJ holding grudges then that's in his remit. I don't get the feeling Hugh has a grudge against JJ - I think he's disappointed they couldn't remain on speaking terms or whatever. I can't for one second imagine Hugh writing a book like JJ's and going to town on ex band members or whatever.

Jim
Homer
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Homer »

theraven1979 wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 13:53 If you define the "blame" as JJ holding grudges then that's in his remit. I don't get the feeling Hugh has a grudge against JJ - I think he's disappointed they couldn't remain on speaking terms or whatever. I can't for one second imagine Hugh writing a book like JJ's and going to town on ex band members or whatever.

Jim
yeah I'd agree with that, also, I was disappointed what he says about DG's drinking ... we all know Dave liked a tipple, who doesn't, but I thought he was rather personal what was said about it, something I wouldn't divulge in a book.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

The general gist of how things seem to be between Hugh and JJ is that Hugh is quite content with where he is now. He's obviously proud of the work he did and the songs he wrote for The Stranglers, while at the same time it's the past for him and he has no desire to revisit it. Yes, he still plays Stranglers songs, but he has every right to as he wrote them. JJ, on the other hand, in spite of still being able to be a working musician since 1990, seems to still have a sulk on about Hugh leaving the band, still sees it as being a huge betrayal, still doesn't seem to understand why Hugh (or Ellis or PR) aren't keen to work with him (he acts like they're the problem, not his behaviour) and he doesn't come across quite as content with the way things have turned out.

JJ Burnel & Friends presents A Tribute to the Music of The Stranglers could be playing Wembley Stadium and he'd STILL be like "fuck you Hugh"
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

The best 'fuck you' both could give to each other would be to only play a mk1 songs in the encores. Prove that they didnt need the other to make music and money.

Interviewers wouldnt keep talking about 1978 and they wouldnt have to talk about each other.

There might have been opportunities for them to have got togther and play the oldies while still having separate careers.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

Yanders wrote: 29 Feb 2024, 09:41 The best 'fuck you' both could give to each other would be to only play a mk1 songs in the encores. Prove that they didnt need the other to make music and money.

Interviewers wouldnt keep talking about 1978 and they wouldnt have to talk about each other.

There might have been opportunities for them to have got togther and play the oldies while still having separate careers.
The point being is that Hugh doesnt want to do a "fuck you" he's very happy with what he's doing and totally enjoying the music he's creating and the audiences he's playing to. He has no regrets at all from leaving the band and they are all a distant memory and he has never looked back.

JJ just like the music he plays he's holding on to and relying on the past and he is the one that's resentful.
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

I think most of the animosity is contrived. I dont believe JJ thinks about hugh that much.

But he has to 'win', so has to tell everyone that him playing 80% mk 1 is winning, and hugh playing lots of solo material is losing.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

JJ has admitted he's a bit resentful, it's just a part of his character.

I agree Hugh wouldn't write like that in any book, he's a bit more diplomatic lol !

JJ can be very diplomatic too, but sometimes it seems he's like "fuck it" I'm just gonna say what I'm thinking.

I'm not sure about "holding grudges", but again it's part of his character to hold onto things, he probably finds it difficult to let go of stuff / what he feels are injustices he's suffered in the past.

And so it all comes out in his book, well at least he's being honest about his feelings..

JJ has never been afraid to admit he was hurt when Hugh left.
Although he has moved on I don't think he's the type of person who can ever completely just forget it..

I Hate You !
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I really believe that JJ thinks fans will love him slagging off previous band members in a real "yeah fuck em!" kinda mentality. Goes with the "rock n roll" myth. When really it's backfired with the majority of fans going "really? that vicious?".

Just a shame the author couldn't go "Hmmm do you think this will come across well JJ?" but then credit to the author giving it the warts n all story.

I suspect deep down if you interviewed JJ in the right setting etc and asked him about Hugh and Paul (possibly not John lol) he'd probably admit his misses them and would love to get in contact but pride or blokeyness gets in the way.

Jim
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

theraven1979 wrote:I really believe that JJ thinks fans will love him slagging off previous band members in a real "yeah fuck em!" kinda mentality. Goes with the "rock n roll" myth. When really it's backfired with the majority of fans going "really? that vicious?".

Just a shame the author couldn't go "Hmmm do you think this will come across well JJ?" but then credit to the author giving it the warts n all story.

I suspect deep down if you interviewed JJ in the right setting etc and asked him about Hugh and Paul (possibly not John lol) he'd probably admit his misses them and would love to get in contact but pride or blokeyness gets in the way.

Jim
yes, well JJ said he tried it before with Hugh but got turned down.So then he just left it..

But if Hugh were to take the initiative to get in touch then I don't think JJ would turn him away.

There's been opportunities, eg when Dave or Jet passed away, but even then it wasn't done.
Which I can kind of understand, as it's been so long and with so many things being said there's probably too much damage that's been done...

Imagine Hugh calling JJ now:
"hello John, it's the old fart here, how are you ?"

I Hate You !