50th Anniversary Setlist?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Frederik
Ugly
Ugly

Re: 50th Anniversary Setlist?

Post by Frederik »

Secret rehearsing came from JJ griping about Hugh ...
https://www.punk77.co.uk/groups/strangl ... lin054.htm
Leaving the band not wanting anything to do with The Stranglers, gone as far as it could ... reassociating himself with The Stranglers

Hugh, selected quotes ...

https://chaoscontrol.com/hugh-cornwell/
Because I have a lot of ambition left. I want to reach at least the success that the stranglers had by myself. And even then, the Stranglers at their height never had world domination. I’m a megalomaniac, I just want to sell truckloads of records and dominate the world

https://oost-online.nl/the-stranglers-n ... -cornwell/
That evening I attend his gig in the small concerthall of the Q-Factory. I was informed 170 tickets were sold. Rather inappropriate for an artist of his stature. But to use his words: who cares?

https://oost-online.nl/the-stranglers-n ... -cornwell/
After leaving the band, has there been any contact? Did he for example ever go and see them perform? ‘Why would I want to go and see them? Why would they want to come and see me?‘ As a possible motive I suggest there might still be some friendship left? Hardly audible, he replies: ‘No, that’s not the case.’

https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programm ... is-nz-tour
Several phone calls with JJ, until JJ dissed Hugh in an interview
Dave attended a gig
Ava attended a gig, met Jet outside in the car park.

https://www.musicweek.com/talent/read/h ... sic/074037
For me it’s always a pleasure to play it [Stranglers material], but I don’t want to be remembered just for that – which is why I left!

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/239 ... ver-cards/
“I’m more Stranglers than them.
adeinblack
Rats Rally

Post by adeinblack »

I just think HC had enuff of JJ full stop. I think HC figured he was 90% the reason The Stranglers were successfull. So if he went on his own he'd have 90% not 25%.

In reality, the Stranglers were unique in that the Keyboards were a big part of the tunes. HC underestimated that and his disregard for attaching, keys to his touring is the main reason why he is still toilet touring. If he announced a 50 years tour just playing the old stuff, replicating those tunes then he would get a full house. Obs he has said he does not want to do that and is happy as a trio.

JJs Bass is very unusual, his creation of those lines/riffs in the songs are another reason we love the Stranglers.

So for me HC is probably 30% of it Dave 30% JJ 30% and Jet 10% though I would normally credit drummers with zero, Jet did write some interestin patterns tho.

Bands are like marriages, divorces will happen, sometimes there is friendship after, sometimes not if bitterness creeps in. JJ loved HC, he looked up to him but that was then.

Financially HC has made all the mistakes but money does not always matter.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I think there's too much analysis going on. "The Stranglers" is a fairly recognised name in music. "Hugh Cornwell" or "Jean Jacques Burnel" aren't. If you stay in a band with "The Stranglers" name on it you're gonna get more attention and see more people through the doors. Most people just want a good nostalgic night out and "The Stranglers" provide that. You're average punter probably doesn't even know that there's only the 1 remaining member until they're stood in the venue for the "50th Anniversary of The Stranglers" nostalgia tour

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
oliverj1999
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by oliverj1999 »

Image hearing Baz having a cracking at these songs
96 Tears
Sinister
Second Coming
Shakin Like A Leaf
Big In America
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

What a stupid question.Has he ever been to see the Stranglers perform.As if.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

theraven1979 wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 17:36 I think there's too much analysis going on. "The Stranglers" is a fairly recognised name in music. "Hugh Cornwell" or "Jean Jacques Burnel" aren't. If you stay in a band with "The Stranglers" name on it you're gonna get more attention and see more people through the doors. Most people just want a good nostalgic night out and "The Stranglers" provide that. You're average punter probably doesn't even know that there's only the 1 remaining member until they're stood in the venue for the "50th Anniversary of The Stranglers" nostalgia tour

Jim
It's a pretty knowledgeable crowd and fanbse of fans surely on the whole I'm guessing who go to their gigs,I don't think the majority who go wouldn't realise there's only 1 orginal left....surely not,but hey what would I know I don't go anymore to the gigs but when I did it was full of majority of older hardcore fans....
Are you talking the average punter if asked wouldn't know then yes I suppose your right but not who go to the gigs surely are mainly hardcore fans? I'm sure a small minority go for a good out not knowing whose up there.
The band have said many times about younger fans going to their gigs which I'm sure that is the case too but as a guess as someone tbh whose not amongst the crowd anymore to know but it must be a small minority and not the majority who go to their gigs are mainly fans who know whats what and want to hear the bands music they know and like.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 28 Feb 2024, 19:45, edited 2 times in total.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

toilerinblack wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 19:09
theraven1979 wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 17:36 I think there's too much analysis going on. "The Stranglers" is a fairly recognised name in music. "Hugh Cornwell" or "Jean Jacques Burnel" aren't. If you stay in a band with "The Stranglers" name on it you're gonna get more attention and see more people through the doors. Most people just want a good nostalgic night out and "The Stranglers" provide that. You're average punter probably doesn't even know that there's only the 1 remaining member until they're stood in the venue for the "50th Anniversary of The Stranglers" nostalgia tour

Jim
It's a pretty knowledgeable crowd and fanbse of fans surely on the whole I'm guessing who go to their gigs,I don't think the majority who go wouldn't realise there's only 1 orginal left....surely not,but hey what would I know I don't go anymore to the gigs but when I did it was full of majority of older hardcore fans.
The band have said many times about younger fans going to their gigs which I'm sure is the case but a small minority of the overall crowd whose there though i would imagine...but like I say I don't go anymore to be amongst the crowd to really know but I would imagine that on the whole it's the more older Stranglers fans who go with a smaller amount of people who go and see them not knowing whose up there,I'm sure there's some who don't know the band and think I'll go and see them for a good night out that happens with every band or live event but the most wouldn't know there's only 1 original up there surely not...maybe I'm very wrong .
I think Jim is close to the answer for me but i dont think Jim was suggesting anything to do with age but I am late 50s and i started seeing them live fairly late (Feline tour) compared to other fans that would have been about when Hugh was in the band. Most of those fans have at least 10 years on me and i am fairly sure at that age the enthusiasm to see the band would have lessened especially if you are already hard core fan that's seen them so many times anyway.

I watched a French gig which had Baz lead singing on youtube (not by choice it was set to show the next available clips) i think this gig was only a 3/4 years ago and i was shocked at how young the audience were probably 80% of that crowd was in there 30's and wouldn't even have been born when Hugh was in the band.

It makes perfect sense to me that the name is bigger than the individuals in it, hardcore fans on this website for sure but how many in those gigs i doubt that many. They are there to hear the songs that the band name are famous for and want a great night out.
Last edited by ThinkTank on 28 Feb 2024, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

ThinkTank wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 19:44

Jim
It's a pretty knowledgeable crowd and fanbse of fans surely on the whole I'm guessing who go to their gigs,I don't think the majority who go wouldn't realise there's only 1 orginal left....surely not,but hey what would I know I don't go anymore to the gigs but when I did it was full of majority of older hardcore fans.
The band have said many times about younger fans going to their gigs which I'm sure is the case but a small minority of the overall crowd whose there though i would imagine...but like I say I don't go anymore to be amongst the crowd to really know but I would imagine that on the whole it's the more older Stranglers fans who go with a smaller amount of people who go and see them not knowing whose up there,I'm sure there's some who don't know the band and think I'll go and see them for a good night out that happens with every band or live event but the most wouldn't know there's only 1 original up there surely not...maybe I'm very wrong .
I think Jim is close to the answer for me but i dont think Jim was suggesting anything to do with age but I am nearly 60 and i started seeing them live fairly late (Feline tour) compared to other fans that would have been about when Hugh was in the band. Most of those fans have at least 10 years on me and i am fairly sure at that age the enthusiasm to see the band would have lessened especially if you are already hard core fan that's seen them so many times anyway.

I watched a French gig which had Baz lead singing on youtube (not by choice it was set to show the next available clips) i think this gig was only a 3/4 years ago and i was shocked at how young the audience were probably 80% of that crowd was in there 30's or younger and wouldn't even have been born when Hugh was in the band.

It makes perfect sense to me that the name is bigger than the individuals in it, hardcore fans on this website for sure but how many in those gigs i doubt that many. They are there to hear the songs that the band name are famous for and want a great night out.
Like I say I don't go anymore and maybe the crowd makeup has changed nowday's...it probably has,but I wonder how many pay a ticket price that's not cheap nowday's tbh seeing a band that their not to familiar about but know a few of their songs....maybe that is the case.
But as for the band more tickets sold to whoever is only good revenue for them and good the brand name as a whole....but I am surprised though.
Suppose I'm to much of the old brigade where gigs are concerned.....times have changed lol
Last edited by toilerinblack on 28 Feb 2024, 19:54, edited 2 times in total.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

toilerinblack wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 19:48

I think Jim is close to the answer for me but i dont think Jim was suggesting anything to do with age but I am nearly 60 and i started seeing them live fairly late (Feline tour) compared to other fans that would have been about when Hugh was in the band. Most of those fans have at least 10 years on me and i am fairly sure at that age the enthusiasm to see the band would have lessened especially if you are already hard core fan that's seen them so many times anyway.

I watched a French gig which had Baz lead singing on youtube (not by choice it was set to show the next available clips) i think this gig was only a 3/4 years ago and i was shocked at how young the audience were probably 80% of that crowd was in there 30's or younger and wouldn't even have been born when Hugh was in the band.

Like I say I don't go anymore and maybe the crowd makeup has changed nowday's...it probably has,but I wonder how many pay a ticket price that-'s not cheap on a band that their not to familiar about but know a few of their songs....maybe that is the case.
But as for the band more tickets sold to whoever is only good revenue for them and the brand name as a whole....but I am surprised though.
Well this crowd i was watching knew the songs very well and was singing along and dancing and looked like they were having a great time.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

ThinkTank wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 19:50

Like I say I don't go anymore and maybe the crowd makeup has changed nowday's...it probably has,but I wonder how many pay a ticket price that-'s not cheap on a band that their not to familiar about but know a few of their songs....maybe that is the case.
But as for the band more tickets sold to whoever is only good revenue for them and the brand name as a whole....but I am surprised though.
Well this crowd i was watching knew the songs very well and was singing along and dancing and looked like they were having a great time.
Then yeah your right then....it's all good for the band if the new followers are that up on the band and their lyrics...shows just how good their songs are that the new followers know so much of their songs.....great stuff and for the bands future moving forwards.
Times have changed for sure,.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

toilerinblack wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 19:53

Then yeah your right then....it's all good for the band if the new followers are that up on the band and their lyrics...shows just how good their songs are that the new followers know so much of their songs.....great stuff and for the bands future moving forwards.
I don't know how accurate this gig is to other gigs as it is a television broadcast but the crowd in this gig i think is young and they certainly know the songs. Obviously there are a more mature aged fan as well but i would say 80% are young well they are to me
Here is the link that i am talking about the ages shocked me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWXkQl-yXF0
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

ThinkTank wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 20:00
toilerinblack wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 19:53
I don't know how accurate this gig is to other gigs as it is a television broadcast but the crowd in this gig i think is young and they certainly know the songs. Obviously there are a more mature aged fan as well but i would say 80% are young well they are to me
Here is the link that i am talking about the ages shocked me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWXkQl-yXF0
I think on the whole it's all a good thing the more that like the band and their music,it's quite incredible how this band that is 50 years old can still attract new listerners..not many bands can say that and it also says that new fans also like their new material too as the orginal band ceased writing together over 34 years ago,so the bands music post Hugh is very much liked and appreciated too which is all good for JJ and the band today.
I hope whoever goes has a great time on this 50th tour and let's hope it is a really good and special one for the fans who go to remember forever.