50th Anniversary Setlist?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: 50th Anniversary Setlist?

Post by toilerinblack »

Homer wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 21:45 Acoustic sets are old hat now, I find them pretty boring. On the other hand, artists like Frank Turner is still a good acoustic gig, and BW tbh though its quite a few years since I've seen him.
Yes I think your right...I think it's gonna be pretty much electric all the way mind you they might need stools to sit and play The odd acoustic......for a rest lol
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Ok I can exclusively reveal the following....

Set 1 will be party hits. Get the 50th party vibes going. The band have been working hard on covering Russ Abbott's Atmosphere, D.I.S.C.O, 99 Red Balloons etc

Then Set 2 takes the tempo back down with acoustic versions of Stranglers classics

Encore Heroes and Something Better Change

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Oh and everyone gets party hats on the way in

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Greatkudu wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 21:01
twatinblack wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 20:54 Are they professionally filming/recording any of these shows? Those gigs seem important enough to warrant preservation.
I Guarantee that the Albert Hall gig will be filmed,if not I will eat my Hat 🤠
The Damned was put off filming their special Albert Hall gig a few years back as the venue wanted too much money. Regarding Strings again... would they do it on spec without rehearsing? I doubt it.
Let's Boogie
stuartinblack
Rats Rally

Post by stuartinblack »

1st set full of JJ songs
Time to die
Raven
5 mins
Choose suzie
North winds
Threatened
Dagenham Dave
SBC
Thrown away
Freedom
Buddy
Ugly
La folie
TMTLTH
LONDON LADY
CURFEW

2nd set
Sewer
Toiler
Hallow
Hanging
Grip
Duchess
Device
Cage
WWTW
WALK ON BY
TANK
Peaches
Skin
Sun
Girl
Brown
Plus hopefully 20 more 🤣
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

Homer wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 21:45 Acoustic sets are old hat now, I find them pretty boring.
Hear,hear.
Frederik
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Frederik »

kenl wrote: 26 Feb 2024, 07:28 Strings? Glad I'm not going to the RAH!
It'll be Hugh
Frederik
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Frederik »

ThinkTank wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 19:57 He didn't know though that he was going to leave before the day . He says he was watching cricket England Vs India on the day of the gig and someone hit a 6 and he identified with the situation and thought there and then he has to leave the band. He waited till after the gig before he said something so that the gig wasn't affected.
Hadn't he been secretly rehearsing with Cook and West for 6 months?

May be the cricket tale is a just a good anecdote for the media.

wouldn't he needed to have been working on and waiting for things to get into place for what he intended to do after leaving?
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

Frederik wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 02:15 Hadn't he been secretly rehearsing with Cook and West for 6 months?
I'm sure I read that Hugh said that he'd been accused of that, but denied it.
Frederik wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 02:15 May be the cricket tale is a just a good anecdote for the media.
I also recall reading that someone who is into cricket called out the tale about Devon Malcolm scoring a six on that day, saying that didn't happen.
Frederik wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 02:15 wouldn't he needed to have been working on and waiting for things to get into place for what he intended to do after leaving?
Any sane person would have all these things lined up before taking such a big step, but then we're talking about impetuous show-biz types here. I expect the full story on all of these things is some sort of mixture of all of them. Just because Devon Malcolm didn't score a six on that day, doesn't mean it didn't trigger Hugh in the way he claimed, he might have been listening to highlights.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

If that was planned its got to be the worst planning ever. I doubt that the CCW rumour was true Hugh left in 1990 and the CCW album come out in 1992.
Hugh left it far too long to actually be in the eye of the potential audience he wasn't exactly a Robbie Williams where a huge devoted amount of fans were waiting baited breath for him to come out with something. As droopsnoot has already said he needed something special, already to go with immediately and a well planned path to follow which he didn't have.
Now JJ wasn't silly he was right on it i think he must have thought Hugh had something up his sleeve like a huge hit waiting to be released that he kept away from the 10 album and had a solo career already mapped out. JJ spent no time at all when Hugh left getting a new lead singer rehearsed all the songs for a tour went on tour and then released the album In The Night before Hugh even emerged with anything. JJ knew he had to get the music press talking about The Stranglers new singer, tour and album so to keep the attention away from Hugh. This of course gave confidence as well to the Stranglers fans that the band were continuing. JJ definitely out manoeuvred Hugh even though i don't think Hugh was even trying.

I do however think Hugh has always had solo interest in the back of his mind. If Nosferatu or Wolf had been massive hits i bet he would have left the band then. Hugh leaving was a genuine not wanting to be a Strangler anymore and as he has already quoted he thought the record company would have dropped the band anyway after the lack of commercial success in America.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Wildly off topic but as you asked https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engin ... view=match

9th August 1990 so it may well have been highlights

EDIT: Just noticed that was the start date and there was play 9th - 14th August 1990

Jim
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

I dont think Hugh had Paul Weller level planning around leaving the stranglers.

Its a good point about JJ being able to write the narrative about what went on - Hugh was planning a solo career and wanted american success, so ditched the band.

But by all accounts the making of 10 was difficult, jj and hugh were distant on stage, the record company probably wanted american interest to justify their investment. Rather than being orchestrated, hugh could have just seen the writing on the wall, not been in a postion to talk to the others about it, so just left. He was 40 with no wife or children, he was the one could be impulsive.