50th Anniversary Setlist?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: 50th Anniversary Setlist?

Post by toilerinblack »

ThinkTank wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 19:57
droopsnoot wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 19:06
toilerinblack wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 18:46 but saying that how do you leave you can't say in advance and expect the band to be happy about you going at some point and if he had said in advance then there might not of even been a 10 tour the band probably wouldn't continue on with the tour knowing he's off at some point
One way would be to sit down and have the conversation with the band, and then resolve to make his final tour the best he's ever done. Maybe the rest of the band might have done different things, maybe the set list would have been different, maybe the venues would have been different, if they'd known in advance that everything would change afterwards.
He didn't know though that he was going to leave before the day . He says he was watching cricket England Vs India on the day of the gig and someone hit a 6 and he identified with the situation and thought there and then he has to leave the band. He waited till after the gig before he said something so that the gig wasn't affected.

I could well be wrong but i thought the Ally Pally gig wasn't part of a 10 tour but a weekend of bands set up to celebrate so many years of the Alexander Palace after the 10 tour had finished. Of course the gig still promoted the 10 album with a very slight change of a setlist
Yes you are right it wasn't their own 10 tour i tend to refer it as 10 being their last album and tour too ....but correctly you are right.
You are right too with it being a quick decision made by him I forgot that .... so yes there wasn't time to sit down and plan to leave at some point being open honest about what he wanted to do to his band mates.
Your post is spot on.
They have both moved on in their own best way possible which I thank both sides for all they have done which I have enjoyed all of hugh's 10 solo albums and alot of the Stranglers too but not all of them....so quite incrediblly they are both still around to see their 50th even those seperatley....well done to both camps I say for producing some great material and giving the many over the decades a great night out seeing them live....can't ask or expect anymore from either side I think.
twatinblack
Down In The Sewer

Post by twatinblack »

Ok getting back on topic. Every period of the bands existance during these last fifty years, need to be represented in the set. So we can expect atleast one song from every album. Boom, there that's 18 songs already. The concerts are divided into two sets (let's be optimistic and say around 9-11 songs per set) and are most probably going to feature a couple of encores, maybe 2 or 3 if time is on our side. I think Toby said there would be one never before played "Top secret track". This could be anything really but i'm putting my money on some mk1 b-side or album track. I don't think it will be top secret I'm sorry to say. JJ has been talking about bringing back Hallow To our Men and one even older song, not played since '76. What springs to mind is Tomorrow was, I know It and my young dreams. Putting it together and guessing what songs should be used is challenging....

....so I tried:

Some special intro(idk ruby tour?)
(Hits set)
Waltzinblack (live maybe)
Something better change
Nuclear device
Water
Long black veil
Toiler on the sea
Time to ddddddiee
Walk on by
Always the sun
Skin deep
Peaches

(In depth/fan set)
Shah shah a go go(please it has been 34 years!)
Hallow to our men
Coup de grace
Valley of the berbs
Tomorrow was the hereafter
Time was once on my side
Breathe
Ain't nothin' to it
Unbroken
Never to look back

Golden brown
Never say goodbye
And if you should see dave

No more heroes
Sinister
Down in the sewer

Hanging around
Duchess

They won't play this and it's not the best but it does atleast have one track from their discography. The hardest thing to nail will be the atmosphere for sure, greatsest hits tours often lack that. You need tracks that compliment eachother and tracks from the same album do that. But that can't be done here.
Last edited by twatinblack on 25 Feb 2024, 23:04, edited 1 time in total.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Great post...
Good idea I agree too something special needs representing this 50th tour and anything less like a normal tour then it's their 50th would be a shame and a good chance to show why this band has reached 50....but I don't think so for one minute going by things they did in their 4oth tour and this even more special than that it's half a century...so something like the Ruby tour that was brilliant but hopefully not starting again with toiler....please start with something really different would be extra special as a one off for their 50th.
I agree a nice representation from each album would be good.
What they will actually do is anybody guess.
Three things we know is
1) There will be one track never played before by them live I think it's been said.
2) It's in two separate sets an hour ish each roughly.....2 and a half long total is that right too?
3)Toby says he can't takk about it it's a secret the mind boggles lol....what we take out of that context is I hope we are in store for something different and hopefully excitingly special....we will see and I'm really interested in just what is in store at The RAH ......strings? I do hope so.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 27 Feb 2024, 19:03, edited 1 time in total.
kenl
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by kenl »

Strings? Glad I'm not going to the RAH!
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

kenl wrote: 26 Feb 2024, 07:28 Strings? Glad I'm not going to the RAH!
I'm not saying there will be but they did before there but I felt it didn't work with the members they had back then for me some of the vocals was awful and the guitar work just didn't have that meaty raw sound that has thank god returned again somethjng like how the songs should sound like and written like in the first place that definitely went astray for years...so yeah I for one thank Baz's right understanding of how this band should like again after the Wilderness years and putting it into practice what needed dojng and has returned JJ back to us again lol
If they was to do it again this time it would work much better with the four piece and as for the strings if they did......why not? it certainly gives the sound a little extra special lift they wouldn't normally have so yeah I'm all for it if they was to again......we will see and we will all differ but as hugh once said....bring em...bring em on lol
oliverj1999
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by oliverj1999 »

Heard it ti be particularly Gospel According heavy so hopefully Hallow, JLNOE, Second Coming and Thrown Away. Would like to see some forgotten classics brought back like The Man They Love To Hate, I've Queen, Sinister.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

oliverj1999 wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 19:40 Heard it ti be particularly Gospel According heavy so hopefully Hallow, JLNOE, Second Coming and Thrown Away. Would like to see some forgotten classics brought back like The Man They Love To Hate, I've Queen, Sinister.
Great choices, all of those would be great 8)
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
Lafleur
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Lafleur »

parasiteinblack wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 19:44
oliverj1999 wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 19:40 Heard it ti be particularly Gospel According heavy so hopefully Hallow, JLNOE, Second Coming and Thrown Away. Would like to see some forgotten classics brought back like The Man They Love To Hate, I've Queen, Sinister.
Great choices, all of those would be great 8)
I would prefer some La Folie tracks as Family, Non Stop, Man Love to Hate. We'll likely get Down in the Sewer again.
twatinblack
Down In The Sewer

Post by twatinblack »

Are they professionally filming/recording any of these shows? Those gigs seem important enough to warrant preservation.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

twatinblack wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 20:54 Are they professionally filming/recording any of these shows? Those gigs seem important enough to warrant preservation.
I Guarantee that the Albert Hall gig will be filmed,if not I will eat my Hat 🤠
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 21:01
twatinblack wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 20:54 Are they professionally filming/recording any of these shows? Those gigs seem important enough to warrant preservation.
I Guarantee that the Albert Hall gig will be filmed,if not I will eat my Hat 🤠
Yes I think so too and a dvd like the 13th ...I'll be shocked too if it's not..
It has to be 50th tour at the RAH....how can it not be lol
I'm hoping for great things no support act with two sets...what are we in store for.
I think the first set could be mostly the first three albums taking the band back to those glory years...could be pretty fast paced the set set or I could be barking up the wrong tree lol
Set two more hits lol but maybe more up to date with their material maybe or will there be time for ....
Acoustics on Stools?........there's a question.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 27 Feb 2024, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.
Homer
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Homer »

Acoustic sets are old hat now, I find them pretty boring. On the other hand, artists like Frank Turner is still a good acoustic gig, and BW tbh though its quite a few years since I've seen him.