50th Anniversary Setlist?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Re: 50th Anniversary Setlist?

Post by Ruby »

toilerinblack wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 22:25

For me music versus energy wins every time.
Exactly.Its all about the music.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Ruby wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 20:18
toilerinblack wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 22:25

For me music versus energy wins every time.
Exactly.Its all about the music.
Yep....for me I don't really get the whole members who are in and out and not as good etc...
First and formost for me it's what they are producing together as a unit or band..do I like what they are doing and if I do then great...if it's a great song it's a great song full stop for me if it's baz or Paul or Hugh....I'll praise whoever if it's good end of for me only..
But we all differ and have our opinions and rightly so the band will keep on writing and producing and fans can take out of it what they like or don't like.....that's music,but I feel an honest opinion on songs is only fair and not giving it a chance because of whose singing it or not singing it or would like the song if someone else was singing it I think you either like a song or you don't.
A song I feel only should only be judged on it's full constructed content for a thumbs up or down.
Music is there for everybody to enjoy and as long as they do on whatever they do like then the musicians have done a good job I think only as one view.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

toilerinblack wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 21:02even when the band had 3 originals left they still brought out some crap albums to their name
That's a very good point. Having the original members was only great when they were 'on it'.
Let's Boogie
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

markorbit wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 23:22
toilerinblack wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 21:02even when the band had 3 originals left they still brought out some crap albums to their name
That's a very good point. Having the original members was only great when they were 'on it'.
Let's face it, it all went downhill after Rattus really didn't it! :smile:
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

jason wrote:
Let's face it, it all went downhill after Rattus really didn't it! Image
Jesus not at all!

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

jason wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 00:53
Shallow decline began after La Folie/Golden Brown for me.
Let's Boogie
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

jason wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 00:53
Lol......
Well for me Rattus was just the beginning of this bands long career.
It's where hearing their great songs for the very first time opened up my ears and eyes looking at that famous front cover inside that room in Blackheath and looking at JJ for the first time in amazement lol and thinking........wow this band is different and f**king great.
So for me rattus was just the very small start to many many great unrepeatable albums to 1990.
But was it their best?.....I'll leave that to each fans own opinion.
I'm really covering their early start days and especially the rattus songs in my 50th formation poem that is just getting now longer and longer lol
I'm gonna have to break the poem up into two parts starting with the mk1 years... Then a turn half centuries turn part two post Hugh to present.....still working on it ....definitely my last one...lol
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

All I'll say is that if you really want to know what Hugh brought to The Stranglers, then listen to the first ten albums and compare with everything after, especially the albums with JJ, Jet and Dave on them. I mean, 'nuff said. It speaks for itself.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 23:05
All I'll say is that if you really want to know what Hugh brought to The Stranglers, then listen to the first ten albums and compare with everything after, especially the albums with JJ, Jet and Dave on them. I mean, 'nuff said. It speaks for itself.
I couldn't agree more with you on this point....you are totally right well for my opinion only as a long mk1 fan who saw them again and again that is unrepeatable.
What Hugh brought to the table made the Stranglers who they were that for me only isn't slightly questionable but I don't like to keep going on about one of the four because they were all special and it was all of their contributions that made the band who they and Hugh couldn't of done it alone but for me he was the right musical brain and heart for that band writing songs for the band that were so right for them until he left that for me hasn't been the same since.....and for years three of the originals were still there.....
That's not putting them down because I like all of them a d the Stranglers band as a whole but yes I agree Hugh was the major factor for me in those most successful 16 years...that they never got back again.
airflamesred
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by airflamesred »

StanInBlack wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 23:05
Mk1 was spent before Hugh left. I get your point but all everyone made a sizable contribution.
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

Plenty of fans reckon that 10 was a pile of dung.I quite like that album myself but I can't imagine what would have come afterwards had Hugh still been there.
BankMan
Down In The Sewer

Post by BankMan »

The reality is, is that Stranglers MK1 was greater than the sum of its parts. Dave, Jet and JJ together took Hugh’s ideas to another level and equally Hugh’s input to stuff that he didn’t write, and his guitar lines, added something we’ve never seen or heard since he left.

I’ll tell you something though, you listen now to any of the stuff by any of the different MK’s and you realise how much Dave, more than any of the others, was the man who gave the Stranglers their gold dust. Imagine nearly all of the MK1 stuff without his contribution, it just wouldn’t be half as good. MK2, when he was increasingly sidelined - pretty poor. He got his mojo back on NC and Suite - great albums - and Paul Roberts played a huge part in that, sadly unrecognised by many. Without Daves’s contribution on Giants and DM, you’ve got some pretty average stuff. You can hear this on the three DM tracks recorded after he passed - clunky and uninspiring to say the least.

On Hugh, I’ve always felt that that his solo stuff needed/needs contributions from equally talented people who will challenge him and add extra layers that will take his ideas and his music to beyond the “OK”