50th Anniversary Setlist?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

airflamesred
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: 50th Anniversary Setlist?

Post by airflamesred »

jason wrote: 06 Feb 2024, 21:56
Yep the Stragglers would work!
That, Sir, about sums it up.
I was fortunate to see mk1 in their prime and am thankful for that.
That feeling will never be recreated and it's as much to do with me as it is the remaining members of the Stranglers
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

The thing is personally I think because it was such a change In the band after Hugh that obviously like that's being discussed now over 30 odd years later it not being the same or as good as once was they should of changed the name then they wouldn't get all this on going comparison qetc...
But I think they knew about al aboutl that at the time but wanted to carry on because he left like he did and thought right we're gonna carry on without you and went in a completely different direction with a very different younger singer with a great voice with two fingers up....Maybe as a guess only
JJ has said he thought at the time ok well that's that then it's the end but it was Jet & Dave who wanted to carry on still...we'll never know the full ins & outs of what went on that's obviously their business but it's all in the past and they have done well to carry the brand name on and reach their 50th which I still think is a bloody good achievement reaching that milestone after your main frontman left after16 successful years...but as usual it's up to each individual fan their take on it all post mk1.
But I feel now they've finally reached their 50th I'm certainly behind them and congratulate them in this big year.....
Each to their own.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 07 Feb 2024, 18:42, edited 1 time in total.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

twatinblack wrote: 06 Feb 2024, 22:32
ThinkTank wrote: 06 Feb 2024, 20:54 I think the band will be going on for a long time yet. Baz will continue when JJ stops i mean what else do you expect Baz to do this late in his career he's already successfully invested 24 years in to the band and has been 100% accepted as the lead singer now as well for the last 18 years ? The same would go for the rest of the band all be it not the same invested time.
To be honest the sound wont change too much without JJ just the bass work to be a bit different from another very competent Bass player as the next session player to join the band.
It would be funny if after Baz and JJ retire, the Stranglers continue on with new members, and then actually start making great music agian.
Now that would be very funny. :grin:

But do you know what ? I think Baz has an excellent eye for opportunity and when those opportunities arise he seizes the day and takes those opportunities. Life has a very comical and unusual way of playing out sometimes so if that did happen it wouldn't surprise me at all.

That Australian interview with Baz gave away his thoughts when he was asked about that. Not what he was saying but he's body language and he's keenest in his replies when told by the interviewer that he has the stranglers DNA so he should, tells me he's already thought of it and already considered it too. I think anyone else in his position would do the same thing as well.
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

Neither Baz or JJ have years left in the tank anyway

Baz is 60 this year and, whilst considered "young" the need for it all is far less than a 30 year old.

He's probably got a few quid behind him by now and projects post Stranglers like Wingmen would keep his wallet ticking over if he wants.

The Stranglers publishing companies have good returns so JJ can retire nicely when he wants to.

Doubt they really need to work but doubtless that they want to. So carry on for few more years, cash in whilst they can and be happy!

50 years is a great acheivement for JJ and 25 years odd for Baz is pretty impressive too. No matter what band they are in, to be making a living and enjoying it is great.

Same for Hugh. Well deserved.
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

jetblacksdad wrote: 07 Feb 2024, 16:30 50 years is a great acheivement for JJ and 25 years odd for Baz is pretty impressive too. No matter what band they are in, to be making a living and enjoying it is great.
Now that's enough of that,you're not supposed to be pleased for them.It's much more fun to put the boot in and take the piss.
Last edited by Ruby on 07 Feb 2024, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Obviously their in it for the money....gotta earn a crust and think about their future when it's all over who wouldn't in their shoes....but it's more than that for me they are musicians first and formost and they love their craft of playing and writing that's the no.1 buzz and when you ain't enjoying what your doing then it 's time to hang up your DM boots lol
JJ certainly doesn't need to carry on so I'm sure he still does because of he still thrives on the crowd and playing his parts like only he can and I'm sure he does because he loves it all ...especially on the lead bass bits and why not he's a professional expert of his guitar and craft and there's no other like him.....why stop! I wouldn't want to either lol
I think he's still going on because after many years of not enjoying being in the band like a job you hate but you still keep going...now he seems so happy with the current unit ...After all it's his band and their senior spokesman too he is Mr Stranglers now really even though he stresses it's all a joint effort that makes it work so well and he's right it certainly shows that being the case I think through their music and live shows.
They've still got plenty of miles left in the tank as already said.....so.it's just when they think that's it and I hope as one fan only it's a long time yet.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

theraven1979 wrote: 04 Feb 2024, 22:44
StanInBlack wrote:I'd love to see PR doing them!
On his own or part of this nostalgia stranglers tour?

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
On his own, preferably. It'd make no sense for him to do them with JJ Burnel & Friends, given that he's never worked with half of the people onstage, and he doesn't seem to be awfully keen on the other half.
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

Portsmouth now sold out.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Paul return would never happen or I think ever on a stage with any of them.
The current Stranglers are fine as they are the best post Hugh as new comers go I mean not without sadly dave or Jet but post original members ....this is the best and as good as it will get post Hugh I think..... they are the ever continuing band the stranglers just not the original line up or the best ever that was 74-90 .....but never the less they are still the Stranglers.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Post Hugh for me they've never had the live energy and enthusiasm since those early 90s gigs with Mr Roberts. I guess some of that you can put down to age

Jim

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

theraven1979 wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 08:29 Post Hugh for me they've never had the live energy and enthusiasm since those early 90s gigs with Mr Roberts. I guess some of that you can put down to age

Jim

Yeah age is a big factor JIm I think your right there for sure....I mean not that I was a regular seeing Mk11 Gigs but I've heard and seen the footages and yes your right Paul was full of it all in a bundance which for those who were there the atmosphere must of been great if you liked that as the Stranglers band...but your right I think the energy wise post Hugh it must of been those early '90s years as the best I can buy that even though I wasn't a goer myself to those gigs...the gigs at that tiime energy wise was the best .....but for me the current line up yes hasn't got age on their side like the early Paul day's but boy for their ages they don't stop and give a fantastic gig still which i think is incredible...
But more importantly for me is that energy is that the current line up play and sound more like how a stranglers band should be like with past tradition which for me is the best post '90 for sound and quality of material.
The current line up might not have age on their side but they have wisdom,experience and the know how of getting this band back and sounding more.....grass roots stuff to once was and they have clearly for me only anyway.
I applaud them and j enjoy this band far better than Mk11s vocals and guitar who did at the time still have three originals left whicn I prefer more than the current line up ....so it's swings and roundabouts for me as one fan only and also even when the band had 3 originals left they still brought out some crap albums to their name.... where as this line up have produced a few better ones who would never release an album like Coup......it's as usual up to each one fan what they think and prefer over this bands five decades of music....we all differ but are all fans of this band music at some stage....that's one thing shared in common lol
Last edited by toilerinblack on 15 Feb 2024, 22:31, edited 3 times in total.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

toilerinblack wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 21:02
theraven1979 wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 08:29 Post Hugh for me they've never had the live energy and enthusiasm since those early 90s gigs with Mr Roberts. I guess some of that you can put down to age

Jim

For me music versus energy wins every time.