50th Anniversary Setlist?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

twatinblack
Down In The Sewer

Re: 50th Anniversary Setlist?

Post by twatinblack »

I think Non stop would be a good opener, hasn't been played in a long while so it could be given a new airing.
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

jetblacksdad wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 10:07 I do so hope that they do not gloss over the MK2 years

Though they were a bit bleak, there were moments - not many - but I woulsd expect they will bring out Tinme To Die. Would like HoH to get a mention and I would like to hear a full on speaker blowing Coup de Grace. Powerful song IMO.
Agreed. The MK2 stuff they played on the Ruby Tour (10 years ago!!) was the highlight of the tour for me.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

MK2 would be an interesting entry into the setlist following JJ's damning prose on Mr Ellis in his recent biog.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

twatinblack wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 11:17 I think Non stop would be a good opener, hasn't been played in a long while so it could be given a new airing.
It would be a good opener for sure......if Hugh was on vocals otherwise forget it.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 31 Jan 2024, 22:46, edited 1 time in total.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

ThinkTank wrote: 30 Jan 2024, 10:54 We live in a very different world today where the music industry is much more clever at the propaganda and manipulation game of their audiences and consumers. Bands missing their lead singers and main song writers is an accepted thing now it wouldn't have been in the past. I include JJ as part of that game

For me as soon as you are missing the Lead Singer you become a tribute act as the voice is the personality and uniqueness of the band that you first fell in love with. The voice and personality of the lead singer cannot be replicated like a guitar or any other instrument can. You know we are talking about the Stranglers here we are not talking about the X factor where having singers voices and personalities are all the same making artists easily replaceable like a football team.

Where do you stop Public Image without John Lydon, Killing Joke without Jaz Coleman, The Banshees without Siouxsie Sioux, Fingers without Jake Burns how about lets change and have a new Elvis Presley if its got the blessing of The Elvis Presley Estate. Where do you stop ? and if you are a Stranglers fan The Stranglers without Hugh Cornwell is just lunacy

If Baz left the band today (no chance of that he will hold on white knuckled no worries there) but if he did JJ will find another lead singer all be it with a propaganda approach and strategy and will keep it going with another lead singer for as long as there is an audience paying and hes still alive to keep doing it.

I ashamedly do take the piss out of the band but if the band were more gracious of there position i would be more gracious as well but if the band are going to put themselves high on a pedestal with out earning it whilst biting the hand that feeds then they are making themselves open to be criticized and mocked very easily.

So for me to refer to them as a tribute is more me standing against the Music industries Propaganda and manipulation game rather than care about what other people in this forum like and do.

Anyway if you refer to the band as The Stranglers who are you referring to ? There are too many versions now to be able identify them with just an original name. For me there is only one version of the Stranglers and that was when Hugh was in the band.
So JJ's Tribute act i think is very fitting.
When we are talking about the Stranglers....and it doesn't matter which time or mk member versionit is .....it's the Stranglers band.
The stranglers are the sranglers if one prefers a stage,them or particular memebr they are the same band,....like or loathe it in my eyes only.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 31 Jan 2024, 18:44, edited 2 times in total.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

I just can't get excited about the set list.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 18:35 I just can't get excited about the set list.
Well I can get that how you feel that understandable...looking back in time and the day's of me seeing another Mk1 gig I used to keep thinking I wonder what they are gojng to do and so look forward to it no matter what they did tbh but those days are gone and can't feel the same about any up and coming tour not that I see them nowday's anyway but for those who do go and enjoy the night out with the classics belting out they want to hear no matter whose up there then good luck to them and enjoy them because this year is a special one that won't ever be repeated again and I just hope they reflect the specialness of the date in their setlist.....I'm hoping it will be what with them doing a two separate setlist....the mind boggles but I'm not expecting to much of a change....but I hope they prove me wrong.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

I reckon there'll be some old songs that everyone knows, some old songs that some people know, some newer songs that the "lapsed fans" like, some newer songs that have been fairly successful, and maybe one or two obscure ones we weren't really expecting.

Reckon I've nailed that.

I'll stick my neck out and name Always the Sun and Golden Brown to name just two. You heard it here first.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

parasiteinblack wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 19:04 I reckon there'll be some old songs that everyone knows, some old songs that some people know, some newer songs that the "lapsed fans" like, some newer songs that have been fairly successful, and maybe one or two obscure ones we weren't really expecting.

Reckon I've nailed that.

I'll stick my neck out and name Always the Sun and Golden Brown to name just two. You heard it here first.
It annoys me when Baz says they have to play GB and ATS,no you fucking don't,take a leaf from Hugh and take a risk, with all respect GB sounds terrible anyway,and as for ATS,if Baz dares to say,do you want to sing with the Fookin Stranglers? The answer is know I don't thanks very much, when I see a Dr which is rarer than Hens Teeth as they are usually on the Golf course,I don't take over and prescribe myself antibiotics as it's the Drs Job to do that,so when I see a band I refuse to do a singalong as I pay to see professionals do that, maybe I should take my drum kit and take over from Jim Mac?,to be honest I could play some of the patterns better than him,if that doesn't sound to arrogant.Major Kudu. :smt006
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 19:19 ,do you want to sing with the Fookin Stranglers? The answer is know I don't thanks very much,
That "banter" was cringey for sure, but it was also over 15 years ago, so I don't think he would say it now...
Yes, take a leaf from Hugh's book and play obscure albums tracks from the recent albums, except unlike the recent Hugh gig it's more likely to be songs I actually like...
Sorry, but you walked straight into that one :lol:

Back on topic - a selection from In the Night (apart from Time to Die cos they've done that one loads over the past 20 years), one off About Time, and a few off Feline and I'd be quite happy.

Ideally: Wet Afternoon, Heaven or Hell, Sugar Bullets, Face, It's A Small World, Ships that Pass In the Night.
Any/ all of those 6 please, JJ.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 19:19
parasiteinblack wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 19:04 I reckon there'll be some old songs that everyone knows, some old songs that some people know, some newer songs that the "lapsed fans" like, some newer songs that have been fairly successful, and maybe one or two obscure ones we weren't really expecting.

Reckon I've nailed that.

It annoys me when Baz says they have to play GB and ATS,no you fucking don't,take a leaf from Hugh and take a risk, with all respect GB sounds terrible anyway,and as for ATS,if Baz dares to say,do you want to sing with the Fookin Stranglers? The answer is know I don't thanks very much, when I see a Dr which is rarer than Hens Teeth as they are usually on the Golf course,I don't take over and prescribe myself antibiotics as it's the Drs Job to do that,so when I see a band I refuse to do a singalong as I pay to see professionals do that, maybe I should take my drum kit and take over from Jim Mac?,to be honest I could play some of the patterns better than him,if that doesn't sound to arrogant.Major Kudu. :smt006
Blimey......I get what your saying I too say drop GB & ATS too they don't have to do keep doing those numbers.
Many musicians including the greats like Prince,U2 and Robbie Williams I have noticed especially RB Will shout out ...sing! And the audience will all sing themselves for maybe the whole of the chorus or even more where the artist can lap it up from their fans which must be a good feeling hearing so many thousands of fans all in mass singing your lyrics... so I get that side of it.
But I get what you mean I wish they'd cut some songs out and banter but on the whole I have to praise their tight sound,....
Last edited by toilerinblack on 31 Jan 2024, 22:47, edited 1 time in total.
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

That "banter" was cringey for sure, but it was also over 15 years ago, so I don't think he would say it now...
Baz still says that often doesn't he?
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came