Strangler in the light

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Strangler in the light

Post by jetblacksdad »

Yanders wrote: 07 Dec 2023, 15:28 It must cross his mind, at least, that its been 50 years? Even if he just thinks 'blimey' to himself.

Really, this anniversary only means something to him and JJ. Theres no one else around who was there 50 years ago. Fans will remember first gigs, or album releases, but nothing about 1974.
I struggle to remember this morning!
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
Palais23
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais23 »

Just finished reading the JJ book. I found it fascinating. It's great to see how frank he is throughout the book. I can see why a) he suited the original punk movement and at the same time b) arty music journos didn't approve. This is because the Stranglers and particularly JJ didn't fit into what they wanted the movement to be about. Hat's off to the interviewer asking the right questions and JJ for being so frank. The interviewer did his homework properly and, even with probing questions, managed to get to nub of JJ and allowed JJ to come out with some great anecdotes. Some of these anecdotes confirmed some of perceptions and history of the band. Even if you are not a fan of JJ, if you are a fan of the band you would be missing out a lot by not reading this book - trust me!
kenl
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by kenl »

Received a copy for my bday. Hope to find time to read it soon.
Pigeon-M2
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Pigeon-M2 »

I am about 200 pages into the book, and find it an interesting read. I already guessed it would be very different, to hughs Mulitude of Sins book, where he kept himself very guarded. JJ gives a good details in to what makes him tick. Where as Hugh gave nothing away, and he is very closed off JJ is more open about things.

Hard to say what my favourite chapter is so far like the Mishima chapter and the bit about the tour of Japan. And the stories about the Journalist Jon Savage where he said he has his address.

I went to the London book signing, and reading. It was a great day out, Luckily for me JJ didn't need to know my name, (which confused the security guard) Guard name? JJ Hi Adam!.
IamCoop
Rats Rally

Post by IamCoop »

Well I have to say I thought this was a bit rubbish.

A few unknown details here and there (especially his family history and early years) but not much in the way of new information. I really like the interview format for books like this but I thought the 'M' structure gave it unnecessary limitations. I couldn't care less about motorbikes so I found that chapter a bit of a struggle (although that's obviously personal preference, I'm sure others like it).

I thought the masturbation chapter was pointless - he even says at the start of it "I'm not really comfortable talking about this sort of thing so you probably won't get much out of me" No kidding mate! The only thing on that subject I would've been keen hear more about was the whole Steve Strange dalliance/his bisexual tendencies. We get one vague sentence about his confused sexuality and Strange is mentioned briefly but nothing about their brief fling. Given JJ's huge macho reputation, not to mention his sex symbol status in the early years, I think a bit more of an exploration of that dichotomy could've been really interesting. He's talked about this stuff in a bit more depth with John Robb before so he's clearly happy to discuss it, but here it's barely touched upon. One could say 'well maybe he doesn't want to talk about it that much' and that would be fine, but if that's the case why bother having a whole chapter in your book that's ostensibly supposed to cover your attitudes towards/experiences with sex? Either have the chapter and do it properly or drop it and talk more about music stuff or whatever.

I also found the whole JE thing bizarre - he builds it up "Oh, we'll talk more about that bastard later" etc and then it's just....he does yoga in someone's dressing room? Is just generally a bit of a bellend? Seemed rather odd. He'd made out like there was going to be some huge salacious reveal and really it seemed like fairly innocuous stuff to dislike someone for in the end. This, along with the constant and pathetic Hugh baiting paints JJ in a really unpleasant light in my opinion. Just get over it.

Anyway it's not as bad as A Multitude of Sins so that's something I suppose. Just a huge wasted opportunity if you ask me.
'Stranglers - Cops Set To Move'
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

Thanks for that,I was looking forward to reading this over Christmas. :smt005
I should have avoided this topic but couldn't resist
IamCoop
Rats Rally

Post by IamCoop »

I mean, it’s clearly a must have for any fan but I wouldn’t get too excited!

Again, just my opinion. You might love it.

Song by Song still miles ahead of the pack in terms of the best book on the band for my money.
'Stranglers - Cops Set To Move'
cassini
Ugly
Ugly

Post by cassini »

Apart from the "why does he hate john ellis so much" mystery, there is one other perpelxing aspect to the book - he descibes having attempted suicide several times, and describes gonig to hang himself in his garage and changing his mind at the last minute. This is described rather flippantly - it would have been interesting to read about what his state of mind actually was at these moments and the mental health issues he might have experienced. A shame that the author didnt probe him on this a little more
twatinblack
Down In The Sewer

Post by twatinblack »

cassini wrote: 26 Dec 2023, 16:28 Apart from the "why does he hate john ellis so much" mystery, there is one other perpelxing aspect to the book - he descibes having attempted suicide several times, and describes gonig to hang himself in his garage and changing his mind at the last minute. This is described rather flippantly - it would have been interesting to read about what his state of mind actually was at these moments and the mental health issues he might have experienced. A shame that the author didnt probe him on this a little more
Didn't Hugh mention this in song by song too?
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

IamCoop wrote: 21 Dec 2023, 16:27 I also found the whole JE thing bizarre - he builds it up "Oh, we'll talk more about that bastard later"

The Hugh baiting paints JJ in a really unpleasant light in my opinion. Just get over it.
Such an unpleasant and nasty way to refer to a former colleague of 10 years.All for the crime of pulling out of the band.

He can't get over it.Clearly.And it's getting worse as the years go by.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

Ruby wrote: 27 Dec 2023, 19:56
IamCoop wrote: 21 Dec 2023, 16:27 I also found the whole JE thing bizarre - he builds it up "Oh, we'll talk more about that bastard later"

The Hugh baiting paints JJ in a really unpleasant light in my opinion. Just get over it.
Such an unpleasant and nasty way to refer to a former colleague of 10 years.All for the crime of pulling out of the band.

He can't get over it.Clearly.And it's getting worse as the years go by.
If JJ was honestly happy with the post Hugh work and output the current band were producing he wouldn't even care or even have a single thought for Hugh it would be a far distant memory that wouldn't even register. He's holding on to the past which makes him bitter against those that have walked away from it.

Did you get a chance to read the book over the Xmas break ? If so for the books excellence or for worse i would be interested to hear what you thought ?
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

I haven't unboxed my copy yet. If it's more of the same from JJ though, it doesn't sound like I'm missing much.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye