Strangler in the light

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

marky
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Strangler in the light

Post by marky »

I do find that his comments about Hugh sound like he’s never really got over the fact that he left and after reading this book i feel that he’s still trying to maintain that intellectual thug image whereas it’s really all about topping up the pension
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

marky wrote:I do find that his comments about Hugh sound like he’s never really got over the fact that he left and after reading this book i feel that he’s still trying to maintain that intellectual thug image whereas it’s really all about topping up the pension
I must admit I know JJ always goes in about Hugh in interviews etc but I was surprised by the book. He's obsessed! Particularly that last chapter. Poor chap

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

What has always struck me is JJ must be feeling guilt at how the band have turned out. I think the motivation is to keep going as long as Hugh keeps going to prove a point and to emphasize a level of success in comparison to Hugh. The pension would be very nice as well but i think that's probably a valid reason to continue and why not everyone else would do the same its when the music is affected in a negative way then its not valid at all which where my standing point has always been .

JJ's guilt manifests its self at passing the blame and responsibility on to others when discussing the continuation of the band. When Hugh left it was everyone else had to convince him to continue. When Jet passed away it was everyone else had to convince him to continue. Finally when Dave passed away it was again everyone else had to convince him to continue and what i thought was a nice comment of we have to finish this album for Dave.

But its all dispersing responsibility away from himself which i believe he knows the continuation is wrong and he does have a guilt over that. I think as long as JJ can think of a way to justify his actions that lessens the burden of guilt he can convince himself he's doing the right thing. The ridiculous analogy that the band is a football team which was mentioned earlier is another example of a stupid justification to ease that guilt. The analogy of the band is a business and everyone is employees that come and go and the business is bigger than the people in it is yet more bullshit and easing of guilt.
Waffle waitress
Rats Rally

Post by Waffle waitress »

aldinblack wrote: 16 Nov 2023, 19:06 ..

But JJ does have a point. Cause I get the feeling that, not so much right now, but over all these years, that JJ (and Dave and Jet) have always felt that they had a point to prove. To show that they could still be successful without Hugh.
It seems, to me, The Stranglers have always needed something, or someone, to kick against, even if that's one of their own members.
(all that's missing is the choker)

Liberez les Stranglers!
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

I agree that JJ is using others to justify what hes doing.

But touring for JJ now must be a blast. It's the easist and least financially risky it ever has been.

He's with people he doesn't clash with, he doesn't have to do much prep, the money is probably agreed upfront. Its compensation for all the times it wasnt as easy. He'd be mad to give it up really.
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

marky wrote: 18 Nov 2023, 08:07 I do find that his comments about Hugh sound like he’s never really got over the fact that he left.
It's obvious that he's still not over Hugh but the sad thing is he can't see it.He doesn't even realise he is showing it.Nothing would please me more than to see a picture of them both sat down together in a pub,sharing a beer.According to JJ that won't happen because every time he offers an olive branch it is rejected.That's his side.Not sure about Hugh's version.
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

I think deep down JJ just misses his old mate.
Shame they couldn’t have gotten together at both Dave & Jet’s funeral for a few beers and buried the hatchet.
Shush this is serious
Lafleur
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Lafleur »

Hugh vice versa is also very stubborn and not forgiving. He and JJ are both difficult charakters. A bit of a shame, both still play Stranglers songs which they have created together.
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

I can understand Hugh not being forgiving because the legacy of a fantastic band has been tainted since 1991.Hugh will always somehow be associated with Written in Red and Giants because of the band name,even though he had nothing to do with those records.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

A few on here seem to be judging JJ,only he knows the answer to why the Stranglers continue,I think JJ would be laughing if he read some of these comments,Think Tank seems to obviously know how JJs inner soul works.Major Kudu. :smt005
Waffle waitress
Rats Rally

Post by Waffle waitress »

Greatkudu wrote: 18 Nov 2023, 20:48 A few on here seem to be judging JJ,only he knows the answer to why the Stranglers continue,I think JJ would be laughing if he read some of these comments,Think Tank seems to obviously know how JJs inner soul works.Major Kudu. :smt005
:lol:
(all that's missing is the choker)

Liberez les Stranglers!
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

Greatkudu wrote: 18 Nov 2023, 20:48 A few on here seem to be judging JJ,only he knows the answer to why the Stranglers continue,I think JJ would be laughing if he read some of these comments,Think Tank seems to obviously know how JJs inner soul works.Major Kudu. :smt005
Still in denial Kudo :grin:
I certainly don't know his inner arse soul as well as your tongue does so you can go back to burying that arse licking head back in the sand now. :wink:

To be honest though JJ is easily read like a book and if you take a step back from idolising him and stop worshiping the floor he walks on like a teenager it becomes more obvious of what he's motives are.