Strangler in the light

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

cassini
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Strangler in the light

Post by cassini »

Just finished reading it - a really detailed and fascinating book. I found one or two chapters tiresome (an entire chapter devoted to punch-ups, which everybody on this Forum has already heard a hundred times before), and there are a few factual errors (to give two examples - there is no Indian Ambassador to the UK, and the Triumph motorbike factory opened in Thailand more than a decade before Brexit!). But those minor quibbles aside, it really is a candid account of a complex and interesting man. Funnily enough, there isny much about the Stranglers music in the book - Hugh's Song by Song is a better book for that information.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Yeah would make for an interesting book where JJ or Hugh just focuses on the post punk era. The 80s barely get a look in in any book. Would love to read about Dreatime being recorded etc.

Can't please everyone I guess.

Jim
cassini wrote: 11 Nov 2023, 13:17 Just finished reading it - a really detailed and fascinating book. I found one or two chapters tiresome (an entire chapter devoted to punch-ups, which everybody on this Forum has already heard a hundred times before), and there are a few factual errors (to give two examples - there is no Indian Ambassador to the UK, and the Triumph motorbike factory opened in Thailand more than a decade before Brexit!). But those minor quibbles aside, it really is a candid account of a complex and interesting man. Funnily enough, there isny much about the Stranglers music in the book - Hugh's Song by Song is a better book for that information.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Palais23
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais23 »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 11 Nov 2023, 13:09
markorbit wrote: 09 Nov 2023, 14:52 Just to add to this one... wasn't the guy from The Icicle Works (Ian McNabb) in the running as Hugh's replacement? I'm sure I read that somewhere.
I think they made the right choice in selecting an unknown like Paul Roberts. As much as I like Ian McNabb that would have been totally disastrous.
As much as I like Ian McNabb, I agree he wouldn't have suited the Stranglers. Mind you - nor did Paul (who only produced the excellent Norfolk Coast after numerous attempts). It's all water under the bridge, anyway..
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

Hewerdine must have been disastrous at audition if PR was thought better suited.I'm not sure that McNabb even applied.From memory,in the book No Mercy,it says that despite rumours,only two people were auditioned before Paul came along-The lead singer from the Bible ( Hewerdine) and Sil Wilcox.Yet the link posted here says otherwise.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Ruby wrote: 12 Nov 2023, 10:44 Hewerdine must have been disastrous at audition if PR was thought better suited.I'm not sure that McNabb even applied.From memory,in the book No Mercy,it says that despite rumours,only two people were auditioned before Paul came along-The lead singer from the Bible ( Hewerdine) and Sil Wilcox.Yet the link posted here says otherwise.
Yes the past is past and they went the way they did with who they did but why they didn't take stock with who had gone and replaced him with someone very similar in age and style too as they were still a very successful band in 1990 even if it meant a year or so out before carrying on correctly for thier such already long established styled band that had it's success becuase of their distinction of sound so why completely go in a different direction it was a gamble I think didn't work or pay off that surely cost wronly for their new wave band ,for me only he was the complete opposite for tne rightly suited person they were looking for as he was a much younger singer who didn't play either which meant binging in John full time and becoming a bigger five piece,i would of taken how ever long it toke to get the right vocalist however much longer was needed before carrying on rightly.
I think it's more rightly suited nowdays's which was unfortunately decades on from times where they could of capitalised commercially but had so many precious wasted years that time can't change but it's not all gloom because they did create some great material with so many fans still very happy with their live sets and I give them one thing their energy and vibe on stage must of been great as a fan to watch and be a part of even if I thought their material and style maybe wasn't for me right for the Stranglers,but it is all easy now as a fan looking back and commenting after the event to speak with opinions and i'm only a fan as for them the band themselves with Hugh leaving
suddenly like he did after 16 years was an impossible task to this day tbh and it was brave to carry on without him to be fair who played the Albert Hall without him....so credit where it's due overall.
Today's five piece with a frontman who plays guitar again sharing the vocals the same as Mk1 did is right whatever many think that Baz is right or wrong but the set up and stlye is right again and that for me is so clear to see and hear after decades for me only of straying on in the Wilderness with their much liked distinctive sound now absent that previously worked so well for them commercially for 16 years.....But carry on they did with a now huge 50th next year to look forward to.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 12 Nov 2023, 14:46, edited 23 times in total.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Ruby wrote: 12 Nov 2023, 10:44 Hewerdine must have been disastrous at audition if PR was thought better suited.I'm not sure that McNabb even applied.From memory,in the book No Mercy,it says that despite rumours,only two people were auditioned before Paul came along-The lead singer from the Bible ( Hewerdine) and Sil Wilcox.Yet the link posted here says otherwise.
I didn't know much about Boo Hewerdine but a quick search reveals that apart from being a revered songwriter he sounds like he would have been a good Hugh mkII (unlike Paul & Baz). He has similar tonality and range (and plays guitar). He even sounds like Hugh when talking on stage. Had he joined it would have felt more like a continuation of the established sound. In retrospect, the best option.

(Although he sounds more like Hugh now than he did in 1990 when the vacancy was there)
Let's Boogie
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

Maybe they felt he would be too much of a continuation. But in retrospect, a more competent muscian than paul or baz.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

God time to move on Lads, look it's 2023 and the band are still going you either like it or you don't,end of, personally I still like it and God willing I will be there in Sunny Portsmouth with the 657 crew enjoying what we have,so my friends either moan or enjoy,you have a choice,fuck with all the misery in the world who would moan at the Stranglers celebrating their 50th anniversary all be it with just JJ as an original.Major of the Horse Kudu saddling up in my Stirrups. :smt013
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 12 Nov 2023, 16:17 God time to move on Lads, look it's 2023 and the band are still going you either like it or you don't,end of, personally I still like it and God willing I will be there in Sunny Portsmouth with the 657 crew enjoying what we have,so my friends either moan or enjoy,you have a choice,fuck with all the misery in the world who would moan at the Stranglers celebrating their 50th anniversary all be it with just JJ as an original.Major of the Horse Kudu saddling up in my Stirrups. :smt013
Agreed it's still looking very good for them and and I can't wait for the 50th and if they do record some new material this winter then next year their train that Hugh got off is still rolling on the tracks even though for some it might be on the wrong side of the track lol
Only positive talk about this line up from me but each to their own ...they are sounding a great unit together as it currently stands which now includes a great addition with Toby ..roll on 2024.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

Greatkudu wrote: 12 Nov 2023, 16:17 God time to move on Lads, look it's 2023 and the band are still going you either like it or you don't,end of, personally I still like it and God willing I will be there in Sunny Portsmouth with the 657 crew enjoying what we have,so my friends either moan or enjoy,you have a choice,fuck with all the misery in the world who would moan at the Stranglers celebrating their 50th anniversary all be it with just JJ as an original.Major of the Horse Kudu saddling up in my Stirrups. :smt013
You sound like your in denial Kudo with not wanting to talk about the Hugh period in comparison to today. If Its good enough for the band not to move on and stay with playing the Hugh period songs dominating every gig then so will I still continue remembering Hugh for what he brought the band because if it wasn't for his genius you wouldn't have the band today as no one would be interested.

I just listened to relentless as it seems to be a song that every one thinks is brilliant and fucking hell really ? When you think about what Hugh produces but its not even just that its such a lame song. Well all i can say the best thing i can say about that song its better than i could do.

I will continue to still talk about the brilliance of Hugh and why he is so sorely missed thank you very much.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Yep everyone has a right to an opinion. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean that someone is whinging or whatever. If I deleted posts I didn't agree with on here there'd probably be about 1 a day at best :lol:

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

lol even though i am probably one of many that would be first in line for being deleted that did make me laugh :lol: . Also hear hear to free speech and democracy!