Strangler in the light

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Strangler in the light

Post by ThinkTank »

jetblacksdad wrote: 01 Nov 2023, 10:24 Everything I have heard so far makes me NOT want to read the book even more!
lol i hear you i was just being sarcastic there is very little chance of me buying and reading this book :smt005
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Yeah absolutely.

Jim
evonx wrote: 01 Nov 2023, 07:14
I think you were at a few of those 99 gigs Eric and I attended a few. It was pretty obvious the wheels had come off at that point.
Indeed, but (and I think you'd agree) a few years before that this same line up was absolutely great live.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

ThinkTank wrote: 01 Nov 2023, 10:08 But i think its been very obvious for quite some time now how JJ is a fair weathered friend and this book sounds like its confirming this.
I don't know if that necessarily follows - people fall out over all sorts of things and I don't think that just because JJ and Paul were once friends and aren't any more we can assume that the same is the case for everyone he's ever known, or that it will be again, and there are references to people he's been friends with for many decades in the book as much as there are tales of people he's fallen out with. I was just pointing out that it can't said that he has a "better" (for want of the right word) relationship with Baz than he ever did with Paul. I doubt anyone currently in the band is under any illusions, they're all grown-ups.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
Waffle waitress
Rats Rally

Post by Waffle waitress »

ThinkTank wrote: 01 Nov 2023, 10:29
jetblacksdad wrote: 01 Nov 2023, 10:24 Everything I have heard so far makes me NOT want to read the book even more!
lol i hear you i was just being sarcastic there is very little chance of me buying and reading this book :smt005
Yet, surprisingly, despite this admitted lack of actual book related knowledge, you still have an opinion on what it (maybe) says in said book?
Outstanding 🤔
(all that's missing is the choker)

Liberez les Stranglers!
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I'm surprised there's people on here that aren't buying the book. Very strange. Where's your allegiance to JJ! :lol:

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

I'm a couple of chapters in so far, seems like a great read to me.
It's a real shame we didn't get one like this from every original member..

Sent from my moto g62 5G using Tapatalk

I Hate You !
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

aldinblack wrote: 01 Nov 2023, 14:53 I'm a couple of chapters in so far, seems like a great read to me.
It's a real shame we didn't get one like this from every original member..

Sent from my moto g62 5G using Tapatalk
Yep that would have been great, such a shame we never got to hear Dave & Jet's side of the story, also would have loved to have read about their life before The Stranglers.
Shush this is serious
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

The reality is none of John's or Paul's songs set the world alight,they did try and move the Stranglers to a direction that JJ wasn't happy with an ultimately that's why JE left
This makes it sound as if JJ, jet and Dave brought John and Paul in as managers of the stranglers while they were doing something else. The orginals were still present so were just as responsible for the direction as J&P.]
Nobody was more surprised than John and Paul that they had to write most of the material in the early - mid 90s. JJ was going through the motions it seems, having lost a bit of confidence and interest....

I think Paul or John said about the WIR sessions only Jet popped round regularly.

Anyway, yes, they were responsible of course but they apparently were happy with the new lads doing this for a few years. Odd in hindsight.
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

Waffle waitress wrote: 01 Nov 2023, 13:47
ThinkTank wrote: 01 Nov 2023, 10:29
Yet, surprisingly, despite this admitted lack of actual book related knowledge, you still have an opinion on what it (maybe) says in said book?
Outstanding 🤔
I'm not actually aware that i have made any comments about the book everything that i have made comment on is really about JJ,Baz,Paul and John Ellis and all of those comments have been my own personal opinions and experiences. The stories that i have commented on are not stories that are exclusive to the book but very well known stories that go back probably over a period of 40 years.

So that you don't jump to any more further big assumptions I will explain a few of my opinions in detail but i will explain my position a little for you first .

There are a few that hang on every word that JJ says and follow what he says like blind lemmings running over a cliff which is exactly how i used to be ( i was obsessive), but over time and with experience and old age I start to recognise the inconsistencies ,half truths ,exaggerations, contradictions, massaged story telling and quite frankly total Bull Shit that JJ can come out with. So when i see these being part of the conversation or similar on the forum i can relate to them and i cant help myself but to comment. Many of these stories that JJ tell are then excused by JJ as just winding people up when he is caught out which is a popular tactic that every liar uses.

As an example I commented on La Folie - now quite clearly after the success of Golden Brown the record company wanted a follow up single well you are not going to be able to be spiteful to the record company by on purposely releasing a failure in the format of a 6 minute song sung in French. The only spite you will achieve is the spite of yourself by biting off your own nose. Very clearly and any adult would recognise that this is made up story to cover JJ's own failures. The story is total Bull Shit every adult can see this, that's why i commented that Interviewers that get told this one must be laughing and rolling their eyes behind JJs back. La Folie is a brilliant song by the way it doesnt have to beat Golden Brown to be seen as a great song a single though it definitely isn't.

Another Bull shit is the story of John Ellis threatening to pull out 10 days before a tour for more money there is no way he would do that for exactly the same reasons that have already been mentioned if someone hadn't already hi-lighted that one and commented i would have done so myself.

Now everything i have said is just my opinion and i have made those opinions from other sources and not needed a read of the book. The only book related sort of comment i have made is that i think if you wanted to get closer to the real truth is likely to be found from books written by Paul or John. I stand by what i said as many many years of experience has told me that JJ is not what i would consider very Honest but of course honesty is boring and the more embellishment of the stories will always sell and make JJ look better.

I have read here by posters the odd story that do seem to be exclusive to the book and you will notice i have not made any response reply to them as i have no opinion on them as i haven't read the book

If i have made any references in my posts that are directly pointed to extracts in the book that i have commented on with out any possible knowledge of knowing about please show me where - i am all eyes and ready to explain or indeed apologise if i have done so.
Waffle waitress
Rats Rally

Post by Waffle waitress »

:lol: No appologies needed, l just think it must be seen as, whats the word, an unreliable witness, for someone to comment so substantially on something they admit to not having actually experienced. The post title is Strangler In The Light, why would l want to read so much unreliable opinion from someone who hasn't read it? I really think unless somone has experiece of the debated subject then their opinions, no matter how oft repeated, don't, ultimately, mean that much.
Last edited by Waffle waitress on 01 Nov 2023, 18:33, edited 1 time in total.
(all that's missing is the choker)

Liberez les Stranglers!
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Any Stranglers fan would want to read the book,as it's a good read about JJs life and also about the Stranglers,and as I keep fucking saying, when it comes to opinions about Hugh and past band members,it's JJs perspective,but it's still a good read,I didn't know that Jet hated Dogs, until I started reading the book,not exactly an earth shattering revelation,but still interesting all the same.Major Kudu.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

Waffle waitress wrote: 01 Nov 2023, 18:26 :lol: No appologies needed, l just think it must be seen as, whats the word, an unreliable witness, for someone to comment so substantially on something they admit to not having actually experienced. The post title is Strangler In The Light, why would l want to read so much unreliable opinion from someone who hasn't read it? I really think unless somone has experiece of the debated subject then their opinions, no matter how oft repeated, don't, ultimately, mean that much.
Ah i see you cant give a single example :grin: so too right no apology ill will take your post as nothing more than just Waffle then.