Strangler in the light

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Strangler in the light

Post by Greatkudu »

aldinblack wrote: 28 Oct 2023, 16:10 Getchya money for nothing getchya chics for free.

That's what happened with JJ :-)

But that's over now he's settled in south of France, has various hobbies, semi retired, comes out and plays every now and then to keep his hand in and because Baz & the rest are younger and still motivated. And can earn some money still doing what he enjoys.
What a great way to be 70. I'm a bit jealous..

Sent from my moto g62 5G using Tapatalk
Yes and I'm mystified why some see a negative in this? JJ has worked hard over the years,and is very happy and content with his life,he looks in amazing shape to,one thing I noticed when I shook hands with him at the signing was the size of his wrists,Jesus I guess that's all the Shidokan over the years,I need to up my pressup rate from 130 to maybe 200 without stopping.Major Smith.
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

Are you forgetting the point?

JJ acused john of being money grabbing, when its obvious that JJ would only tour if its worth while financially. If JJ can be motivated by money, why not john?
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

Yanders wrote: 28 Oct 2023, 16:41 Are you forgetting the point?

JJ acused john of being money grabbing, when its obvious that JJ would only tour if its worth while financially. If JJ can be motivated by money, why not john?
Exactly!
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Yanders wrote:Are you forgetting the point?

Ok, well I haven't read the book yet, waiting to finish my existing one before I start.
Of course money motivates everyone, to a certain extent.
I think there is a difference between being a "money grabber", and only doing something if it makes financial sense though..

I Hate You !
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Yeah this was what I was driving at.

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

aldinblack wrote: 28 Oct 2023, 16:57

Ok, well I haven't read the book yet, waiting to finish my existing one before I start.
I think there is a difference between being a "money grabber", and only doing something if it makes financial sense though..

I haven't read the book either but i would think its easy not to be a money grabber when the money is already all coming to you anyway. There will always only be two winners in the Stranglers now and that's JJ and Hugh.

I am not defending John i think more fool him and Baz as well but JJ will know that at this stage of the band there is no one better than someone like Baz in the band as he's not talented enough to bring the band complications of royalties or be so good at song writing that Baz realises his own talents and now has the break ne needs to leave the band and can go it alone.

Paul Roberts, John Ellis and Baz Warne are in the Stranglers because that's all they can or could do . If individually they were talented song writers they would have moved on away from the Stranglers as there is no potential or career opportunity for anyone as all the money will be shared out to the main 4 writers Cornwell,Burnel,Greenfireld and Black as it should be. Paul is trying to make a living being solo and from what i can see there is nothing happening there either and give it another 2 more years and everyone will have totally forgotten about him if not sooner.

One thing is for sure JJ is very clever indeed and knows how to make the potential of The Stranglers work totally in his favour. If it didnt work in his favour i doubt he would do it but again its all deserved as thats where all the talent from the current line up comes from.
Last edited by ThinkTank on 28 Oct 2023, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

ThinkTank wrote: 28 Oct 2023, 17:39
aldinblack wrote: 28 Oct 2023, 16:57

I haven't read the book either but i would think its easy not to be a money grabber when the money is already all coming to you anyway. There will always only be two winners in the Stranglers now and that's JJ and Hugh.

I am not defending John i think more fool him and Baz as well but JJ will know that at this stage of the band there is no one better than someone like Baz in the band as he's not talented enough to bring the band complications of royalties or be so good at song writing that Baz realises his own talents and now has the break ne needs to leave the band and can go it alone.

Paul Roberts, John Ellis and Baz Warne are in the Stranglers because that's all they can or could do . If individually they were talented song writers they would have moved on away from the Stranglers as there is no potential or career opportunity for anyone as all the money will be shared out to the main 4 writers Cornwell,Burnel,Greenfireld and Black as it should be. Paul is trying to make a living being solo and from what i can see there is nothing happening there either and give it another 2 more years and everyone will have totally forgotten about him if not sooner.

One thing is for sure JJ is very clever indeed and knows how to make the potential of The Stranglers work totally in his favour. If it didnt work in his favour i doubt he would do it but again its all deserved as thats where all the talent used to come from.
So I take it you love Baz? :smt005
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Paul Roberts, John Ellis and Baz Warne are in the Stranglers because that's all they can or could do
Ellis was also rather successful in The Vibrators and as a member of Peter Gabriel and Peter Hammill's bands.
Paul is trying to make a living being solo and from what i can see there is nothing happening there either and give it another 2 more years and everyone will have totally forgotten about him if not sooner.
He has been singing all over the globe since leaving the Stranglers, working hard, just not in the limelight. His American Songbook performances have gained lots of praise in that scene.

A new (long awaited) solo album is due early 2024.
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

evonx wrote: 28 Oct 2023, 21:11
Paul Roberts, John Ellis and Baz Warne are in the Stranglers because that's all they can or could do
Ellis was also rather successful in The Vibrators and as a member of Peter Gabriel and Peter Hammill's bands.
Paul is trying to make a living being solo and from what i can see there is nothing happening there either and give it another 2 more years and everyone will have totally forgotten about him if not sooner.
He has been singing all over the globe since leaving the Stranglers, working hard, just not in the limelight. His American Songbook performances have gained lots of praise in that scene.

Don't let facts get in the way of a good rant!
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

Josh wrote: 29 Oct 2023, 05:32
evonx wrote: 28 Oct 2023, 21:11

Don't let facts get in the way of a good rant!
I did actually think i was being factful lol ok so we both obviously have differing opinions of what Success and talent is

People that are good at Singing and Performing other peoples work are 10 a penny in the music industry so the money will reflect that and its why you wont see Hugh joining a band like the Jam to sing all those songs that will Make Paul Weller very rich. He doesnt need to do that he can write hes own work successfully he will leave those roles to the likes of Paul Roberts , John Ellis , Baz Warne in the music industry world . The real Talent in the Music Industry is the successful Song writers and the money will always reflect that.

First lets take Paul Roberts
Paul has made a career and a very good one out of being a tribute singer. He has been singing all over the globe performing "OTHER" peoples work and has actually become very efficient at singing "OTHER" peoples work. People that love David Bowie and love David Bowies work go and see Paul to cheer David Bowies work they are not cheering Paul. This is the same for the American Songbook all the people that watch Paul performing other great peoples work are cheering the songs he is performing. Its no different to the roles he first ever did by joining the Stranglers and performing the Bands and Hugh's work.
He's effectively in cabaret now and doing what many artists work their nuts off to get out of.
So this "Long Awaited Album" i don't know how many are waiting for this but if its anything like the number of people that went out and bought his single it wasn't a great many people considering he's been in a lead role for a band as big as the Stranglers for all those years.

Paul left the band in 2006 we are talking 17 years ago ! and he's achievements are singing other peoples work. I have to agree that is a long wait for him to bring out an album well i wont hold my breath on how well that will do if the single is anything to go by. When i heard that single it had no pleasant surprises for me all big drawn out verses and choruses trying to make the song sound falsely epic but nothing there at all that's going to change my mind.
Very nice guy though so if he proves me wrong i will be very very pleased for him and i honestly do wish him the best.

John Ellis
Yes i am very aware he was in the vibrators that had a one hit wonder (got to number 40 i think ) which again he didn't write that song . He has always jumped on other peoples projects working very hard making other bands the most money. What he did with Peter Gabriel and Peter Hammill was very much the exact same thing he did with the Stranglers when Hugh was in the band on the 10 tour being a session guitarist as he's very good at playing other peoples work.. Great guitarists are also 10 a penny there are so many of them so money will reflect that. Hes built a good CV at playing other artists work so he will always be in demand from other artists that need a guitarist.

Baz Warne
Exactly the same story very much another one that reflects the above. He has success with the Dark Matters which I honestly think that album did so well due to Dave Greenfields Death so the next album will be a more telling story. But quite honestly i bet there isn't a next album. I wont say anymore about Baz i have already said enough about him earlier

So i hope my rant hasn't got in the way of the facts (i didn't actually want to rant )

If any of the above three names were not under the banner of The Stranglers you would never have supported them or even have heard of them so i wouldn't call it successful at all i would call it making a decent living. I wouldn't mind betting a normal 9 to 5 job is paid comparable to what they all get after all the money and royalties are spread about.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Wow,thats all I can say. :smt005
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Getting back on thread,I haven't finished the book yet,but it's a really good read so far,and is a great window into the Character of JJ,that's the part I find the most interesting,how his upbringing made him the man he is,of course that relates to all of us,but also his take on Hugh etc,and the hangers on joking.Major Kudu.