Strangler in the light

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Re: Strangler in the light

Post by aldinblack »

I would say yes the money always helps, but for someone in JJ's position it's more a case of not losing money so he's probably happy to travel & play if it doesn't cost him.
Isn't he effectively semi retired now anyway?

Sent from my moto g62 5G using Tapatalk

I Hate You !
BankMan
Down In The Sewer

Post by BankMan »

Pretty obvious from the book now that tours every year from around 2005 were to re-build JJ’s coffers having being cleaned out by his first wife following their divorce. More money in touring than recording and is probably why we saw less and less recorded output after Suite but a fair few re-issues and live releases

He seems to be in a better place now financially. Inherited his parents home in France, re-married, kids have grown up and moved on

Can’t say I blame him
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

It does always amuse me how to earn lots of money in the music business is considered a bad thing. I have never understood it, if you are popular and lots of people are buying your music good luck to you, make the most of it, as no one knows how long that will last. Obviously if the bands music changes and you don't like what they are doing anymore you don't buy it anymore - simple.

Even when bands give their music away for free there is always a hidden agenda and a good financial invested interest on why they do that. I was impressed with Hugh when he was very open and honest about the reason for releasing Hooverdam album away for free download when asked about it.

It will be important to every artist how much they are selling as its the only true gauge to measure how much people like your music. People can say they like you but it is when they purchase your work is when it really means something and counts. No matter how rich the music industry has made you i cant believe anyone wouldn't want more financial success if its something that you can achieve. The more money you make the better, everyone would think that way if in the same situation.

If JJ could sing Take that songs and have a huge following and financial success he would do it just as Hugh would or anyone else. The reason they really don't is because its really not easy to change, and changing over to different genre successfully is very difficult if not near impossible. To get a song written that's a Number 1 spot contender is a skill in itself that most artists are not capable of. They have a guaranteed audience that like their style of songs they wont want to take risk and lose that by writing for a completely different audience.

Being an "Uncommercial" artist is conveniently used all the time to give excuses why songs are failures just look at JJ story about why La Folie was released after Golden Brown for example i bet every interviewer secretly sniggers and rolls their eyes to that story. JJ would have believed at the time of release that La Folie was heading for the No 1 spot i bet he was really gutted at the time when it didn't get anywhere.

In many ways The Stranglers write to an audience within their abilities so in a way its just as commercial as writing for a number 1 position but more gauged to your own abilities.

If JJ just played live gigs and didn't write new material because that's where the money was at, well then i don't blame him for that either.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Amusing how we've gone from "no JJ doesn't do it for money"

You're beloved JJ is just like anyone else

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

ThinkTank wrote:
If JJ could sing Take that songs and have a huge following and financial success he would do it just as Hugh would or anyone else..
You've made a lot of good points in your post, which I agree with

But not this one. Do you really believe JJ or Hugh would do that now in their 70s and approaching retirement?
Lol.
There's an argument that says they might've done, at the very beginning, but even that is far fetched.

Everyone needs money, but there's more to these guys than just that..

I Hate You !
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

Doing it for the fans is doing it for the money.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Of course The Stranglers make a good income with touring,it's a business after all,and of course JJ wouldn't tour If the money wasn't good,but at his time of life I'm pretty sure he does it mostly because he loves playing still,and he is semi retired now,he does alot of other stuff, people need to get paid the crew etc and promoters,the Stranglers make a good income when they tour and also sales from Merchandise etc,but they keep tickets at a decent price,and give great value for money,I don't see what the issue is,I sometimes like my job but I wouldnt do it if I wasn't paid,I'm paid danger money.Major Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 28 Oct 2023, 13:50 Of course The Stranglers make a good income with touring,it's a business after all,and of course JJ wouldn't tour If the money wasn't good,but at his time of life I'm pretty sure he does it mostly because he loves playing still,and he is semi retired now,he does alot of other stuff, people need to get paid the crew etc and promoters,the Stranglers make a good income when they tour and also sales from Merchandise etc,but they keep tickets at a decent price,and give great value for money,I don't see what the issue is,I sometimes like my job but I wouldnt do it if I wasn't paid,I'm paid danger money.Major Kudu.
That's right if the income wasn't there for them with all the bigger outgoing and costs like the crew and promoters like yo have said wasn't still making a good income then I would imagine they wouldn't bother but key is the ticket price and to many other musicians ticket prices are ridiculous in these hard cost of living times I agree keep it at a reasonable price give the punters a good night out and they will fill seats.
Age too has to come into play with say those who kind of are semi retired it must all become that much harder so I feel mainly they do because they want to and for the love of playing their craft to an admiring audience that must be a great feeling to have and many musicians when fully retired would sorely miss all what they have been used to with the attention and success of it all,but number one is are you able to and want to do the hard schedule of touring even if it is smaller nowday's and more spaced out and players like JJ throughout his life as kept himself fit and in great shape so it's all down to I think your'll know yourself when enough is enough but a great goal on the horizon to keep going is the big 50th celebration next with an ending highlight at the Albert Hall which i'm sure will be a big part of this bands career when all is over to look back on with pride and self achievement.
Once that year of '24 is over then it will be more intresting from both camps point of view of future vision and direction in continuing.....let's hope so.
marky
Ugly
Ugly

Post by marky »

Yes of course he needs the money it’s not all about the art you know apart from his book and touring he works locally in the spar shop near his home in France to help earn a steady income
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

marky wrote: 28 Oct 2023, 15:17 Yes of course he needs the money it’s not all about the art you know apart from his book and touring he works locally in the spar shop near his home in France to help earn a steady income
No your wrong JJ has a mobile takeaway food hut called JJs Shack Near where I take my motorbike :smt005 Being serious,none of us know JJs personal financial position,thats his business,but I'm sure he is very comfortable,and doesn't need to tour,but as I said he still loves playing,and also does gigs with ex Yardbirds drummer in France to tiny crowds which shows how much he enjoys playing still.Major Kudu.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Getchya money for nothing getchya chics for free.

That's what happened with JJ :-)

But that's over now he's settled in south of France, has various hobbies, semi retired, comes out and plays every now and then to keep his hand in and because Baz & the rest are younger and still motivated. And can earn some money still doing what he enjoys.
What a great way to be 70. I'm a bit jealous..

I Hate You !
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

aldinblack wrote: 28 Oct 2023, 13:20
ThinkTank wrote:
If JJ could sing Take that songs and have a huge following and financial success he would do it just as Hugh would or anyone else..
You've made a lot of good points in your post, which I agree with

But not this one. Do you really believe JJ or Hugh would do that now in their 70s and approaching retirement?
Lol.
There's an argument that says they might've done, at the very beginning, but even that is far fetched.

Everyone needs money, but there's more to these guys than just that..

Yes of course you are absolutely right my thoughts were not specific to now and thinking JJ becomes a Boy Band heart throb now he's in his 70s and just before he retires . My post was just a general comment not a fully accurate explanation.
The point i was really making was that if a change of music style brought a public response like lets say the Bay City Rollers or Take That was getting then the artistic side of JJ wouldn't be kicking in and he would resist it because it wasn't "rock n roll" enough even back in the 1970s when he was young.
He of course would just like anyone else lap that attention up and enjoy the massive global success that his personal songs were getting to number 1 in the charts one after the other. Being seen as a great song writer while a 100 people deep around the tour bus are screaming in admiration through the town centre and him waving from the top. Any musician that wants to get up on stage and be popular and famous all have big enough egos that would make a performer change for that sort of attention only of course JJ would never admit that but human nature is the same at every generation.

Personally myself i am really surprised he still wants to be a Strangler in his 70's especially at what appears to me to come across at all costs possible to just keep on continuing regardless.