Strangler in the light

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: Strangler in the light

Post by parasiteinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 23 Oct 2023, 16:38
parasiteinblack wrote: 23 Oct 2023, 12:14
Greatkudu wrote: 23 Oct 2023, 12:02 Ah Choosey Susie is obviously coming back for the tour,if they don't play it I will eat my Hat or Hats as I have quite a few including Panama,Trilby,Cap Etc. :smt005
MKII played Choosey Susie.
Really? I never knew that.Major Kudu.
Yeah, it's definitely on some of the 1995 bootlegs. I thought it was typo or a mistake but then sure enough I heard them play it. https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/the- ... d=33d95c39
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

It's not the first time they've said they'll play something that hasn't been played for decades, is it?
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
jeanjacketburnel
Rats Rally

Post by jeanjacketburnel »

BankMan wrote: 22 Oct 2023, 08:33 Doesn’t really say any more than what’s in the book, though interesting last comment about the make up of the double set list next year

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment ... P-Reyl5pcg
Well at least Gary Bushall seems to have read the book. Is that the same jurno who was always slagging off the stranglers in the 80s?
STEVE
jeanjacketburnel
Rats Rally

Post by jeanjacketburnel »

jeanjacketburnel wrote: 23 Oct 2023, 20:04
BankMan wrote: 22 Oct 2023, 08:33 Doesn’t really say any more than what’s in the book, though interesting last comment about the make up of the double set list next year

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment ... P-Reyl5pcg
Well at least Gary Bushall seems to have read the book. Is that the same jurno who was always slagging off the stranglers in the 80s?
Just read his review of DM so probably not who I thinking of. There were so many music journalists who hated them
STEVE
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Just finished a great read and another worthy addition to my Stranglers book collection of seven, but I must admit I’d like more!

I always thought it’d be great if JJ could do his version of ‘Song By Song’ and talked about every Stranglers song recorded from ’77-21’ and another book on his solo & production work.
I wish Hugh would do another Song By Song book on his solo work too.
Shush this is serious
Bogenbroom
Rats Rally

Post by Bogenbroom »

Also just finished it and found it a really interesting read. I feel like I know JJ a lot better as a result. Yes, many of the stories have been trotted out before but given the chance to expand on things and be a bit more reflective, rather than just filling the usual promotional puff pieces, I was more sympathetic to him.

He came across as complex, difficult, quite often a bit of a dick, but likeable and driven. There’s never enough about the music in rock autobiographies - it’s what fans want to read about but musicians often don’t seem to want to get into the minutiae (which is why Song by Song is still the most interesting book about the Stranglers, in my view).

At the end I was left with a slight sense of sadness that his friendship with Hugh is so irretrievably broken. Of course that’s been obvious for a couple of decades, but it’s still sad to see it so clearly spelled out. And I was surprised how vicious he was about John Ellis, but I guess there are always two sides to things.

Anyway, really interesting book and I’m glad they got round to publishing an English translation. Even if it could have done with another proof read before going to print…
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

Bogenbroom wrote: 25 Oct 2023, 08:32 And I was surprised how vicious he was about John Ellis, but I guess there are always two sides to things.
John has said before that he totally refutes JJ's version of why he came to leave the band, but I've never seen him publish his version of events. Like Paul, I suspect he wants to move on rather than open a can of worms.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

droopsnoot wrote: 25 Oct 2023, 10:19
Bogenbroom wrote: 25 Oct 2023, 08:32 And I was surprised how vicious he was about John Ellis, but I guess there are always two sides to things.
John has said before that he totally refutes JJ's version of why he came to leave the band, but I've never seen him publish his version of events. Like Paul, I suspect he wants to move on rather than open a can of worms.
Sir as I always say it's truth from one persons perspective,I certainly never found J Ellis very friendly,so who knows,a great read and JJ comes across as a decent chap but a very complex Character like most interesting people are including myself,my book signing is next week in Nairobi if anyone can make it. :smt005 Major Speers .
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

Greatkudu wrote: 25 Oct 2023, 12:38 Sir as I always say it's truth from one persons perspective,I certainly never found J Ellis very friendly,so who knows
I met him a couple of times at the HMV album signings and, in that context, he seemed OK, keeping in mind it's a public appearance so not necessarily what he's like in real life. His Facebook posts seem quite reasonable.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Met JE on a couple of occassions. Each time he came across alright. I think JJ comes across worst out of the pair of them in the book and that's using JJ's account! :lol: - The only thing I thought JJ was in the right on was JE alleged money grabbing antics but then we all need to earn money right. Let's be honest the upcoming 50th nostalgia tour with JJ as the original member isn't done for "the art" is it!?

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Bogenbroom
Rats Rally

Post by Bogenbroom »

theraven1979 wrote: 25 Oct 2023, 12:54 I think JJ comes across worst out of the pair of them in the book and that's using JJ's account! :lol: - The only thing I thought JJ was in the right on was JE alleged money grabbing antics but then we all need to earn money right. Let's be honest the upcoming 50th nostalgia tour with JJ as the original member isn't done for "the art" is it!?

Jim
Agree with all of that. JE did seem overly concerned with money, but then as he’s said himself he was on a wage (a pathetic wage, is I think how he’s described it) whereas JJ was presumably on a percentage/ royalties and a fairly wealthy man (until the divorce…)

In terms of his interactions with JE, JJ comes across as petulant and childish - I’m not surprised the band didn’t support him when he decided to take the piss out of JE counting them in. But it’s pretty clear now he spent the entire 1990s in a post-Hugh and divorce-fuelled depression so I can cut him a tiny bit of slack.

But that’s just one part of the story. It’s an interesting book and - most of the time - JJ comes across pretty well.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Agreed - that (and the Hugh stuff) aside JJ comes across as an alright chap. I found the Martial Arts chapter a bit hard work if I'm honest but interesting nonetheless. I doubt we'll get another book out of JJ unfortunately so embrace it for what we have.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"