Strangler in the light

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Strangler in the light

Post by Ruby »

Greatkudu wrote: 15 Oct 2023, 21:34

Do you still eat Bread and Dripping? Do you still send Children down the Coal Mines? Major Kudu esq.
Bread and dripping? Luxury.We only get that at Christmas.If we are lucky.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

We used to get up before we went to bed etc

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

You try an tell the young people of today that, and they won't believe you...
Shush this is serious
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Greatkudu wrote: 14 Oct 2023, 21:42
Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 14 Oct 2023, 21:34
Greatkudu wrote: 14 Oct 2023, 21:11

Sadly I've never had the pleasure of visiting Leeds. :evil:
Never come to Leeds! It’s really Grim up north dontcha know?
Sir I have no plans to go North of my HQ,but London is bad enough,but I'm looking forward to the JJ talk and signing tomorrow, just hope the Journalist doing the interview doesn't mention the fight with the Clash,the Nice Riot,the Stripper's at Battersea etc :smt005 Major Kudu.
That’s just something we say to keep southerners away from Yorkshire.
Glad you enjoyed the JJ signing.
Shush this is serious
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

MiB81 wrote: 13 Oct 2023, 12:07 So, at the moment, I am rolling and about to light the Marijuana chapter :smt033 :smt033 :lol:
Call yourself a fan?
Proper Stranglers fans would be putting on make up and giving it some 切腹 (Seppuku) whilst reading the Mythology & Mishima chapter, not smoking that hippie left wing non-binary snowflake weed stuff whilst reading the Marijuana chapter.
:smt006
Shush this is serious
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 15 Oct 2023, 23:52
MiB81 wrote: 13 Oct 2023, 12:07 So, at the moment, I am rolling and about to light the Marijuana chapter :smt033 :smt033 :lol:
Call yourself a fan?
Proper Stranglers fans would be putting on make up and giving it some 切腹 (Seppuku) whilst reading the Mythology & Mishima chapter, not smoking that hippie left wing non-binary snowflake weed stuff whilst reading the Marijuana chapter.
:smt006
That's so funny. :smt005
Waffle waitress
Rats Rally

Post by Waffle waitress »

Did JJ do a talk, interview or reading, or was it just a signing?
(all that's missing is the choker)

Liberez les Stranglers!
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Waffle waitress wrote: 16 Oct 2023, 15:02 Did JJ do a talk, interview or reading, or was it just a signing?
It was an interview with a Journalist who I think works for Mojo,it lasted an hour,then the audience could ask Questions, after that it was a mammoth que for the signing,JJ in great form.Major Kudu.
Waffle waitress
Rats Rally

Post by Waffle waitress »

Greatkudu wrote: 16 Oct 2023, 16:12
Waffle waitress wrote: 16 Oct 2023, 15:02 Did JJ do a talk, interview or reading, or was it just a signing?
It was an interview with a Journalist who I think works for Mojo,it lasted an hour,then the audience could ask Questions, after that it was a mammoth que for the signing,JJ in great form.Major Kudu.
👍thanx
(all that's missing is the choker)

Liberez les Stranglers!
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

Just finished this.
Thought it was really good overall, some very interesting insights into the band and also just about the world in general. A nice companion piece to Hugh's one, although I think I preferred JJ's.
I agree with whoever it was above that said there were things that could have been fleshed out a bit more, but it was an interesting way of presenting it all I suppose.
I would have liked an album by album discussion, like a mini version of "song by song". I don't think In the Night really gets discussed at all apart from Time to Die.
I really liked the parts where inspirations for lyrics were discussed, and it would have been cool to have even more of this for some of the more obscure songs. I've got a much better handle on what he was aiming for with White Stallion now.
I thought the comments on Paul were fairly well balanced but I thought the phrase "he wasn't a Strangler" wasn't needed - he literally was for over 15 years... poor old John Ellis though!
The martial arts and Mishima chapters were a lot more interesting than I thought they might be, lots to think about, in the same way albums like The Raven and La Folie opened up new things to think about...

But yeah, good stuff, well worth a read. Pretty cool that this can sit alongside Multitude of Sins, Song by Song, No Mercy and TMTLTH as a nice little Stranglers library. (When's the PR book coming though...?)
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

parasiteinblack wrote: 18 Oct 2023, 21:59
I thought the comments on Paul were fairly well balanced but I thought the phrase "he wasn't a Strangler" wasn't needed - he literally was for over 15 years... poor old John Ellis though!
I would think he meant he was nothing like an "Original" Strangler he's "stage "actions", Singing ,"Looks", "Song writing", "Voice", "Attitude" , "philosophy" "abilities! and Stage presence were nothing like the original Stranglers. It just shows by JJ's words how he would put up with just about any replacement and carry on regardless as the Stranglers when Hugh was replaced just because it was easier and guaranteed success as some of the old original fans would put up regardless too.

Paul was so different then, JJ for artistic reasons and for credibility should have started another band with Paul and the other members like John,Jet and Dave.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

ThinkTank wrote: 19 Oct 2023, 15:54
parasiteinblack wrote: 18 Oct 2023, 21:59
I would think he meant he was nothing like an "Original" Strangler he's "stage "actions", Singing ,"Looks", "Song writing", "Voice", "Attitude" , "philosophy" "abilities! and Stage presence were nothing like the original Stranglers. It just shows by JJ's words how he would put up with just about any replacement and carry on regardless as the Stranglers when Hugh was replaced just because it was easier and guaranteed success as some of the old original fans would put up regardless too.

Paul was so different then, JJ for artistic reasons and for credibility should have started another band with Paul and the other members like John,Jet and Dave.
This is partly why I was disappointed there wasn't more about In the Night. It would have cleared all that up and we'd know if he agreed with you on that or not.
All we get is some nice stuff regarding About Time, especially "Still Life", some bad stuff about WIR and CDG which wasn't a surprise, and then some stuff about him leaving the band before Suite. Lots missing. Maybe it's only people like me who care and the average reader just isn't interested in anything Paul-related?
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"