Strangler in the light

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: Strangler in the light

Post by theraven1979 »

Waffle waitress wrote:I see the "reviews", from folk who haven't/won't read it, are flooding in already
Surely everyone on here has bought it?

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

Greatkudu wrote: 04 Oct 2023, 16:38

I respect JJ but the slagging of Hugh is so pointless,I thought he would have moved on with his views,but sadly he doesn't seem to have moved on,a bit pathetic to be honest,of course Hugh is no shrinking violet,but all i have seen from Hugh recently is pleasant comments about his old band.

I must have missed those pleasant comments.When Hugh says he wishes them well you don't actually think he wishes them well,do you ?He has a very wry and sarky humour and says insincere things with a straight face
Last edited by Ruby on 05 Oct 2023, 13:44, edited 1 time in total.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

I thought both sides had been a bit less antagonistic recently, but stuff like this won't help. It's not an unreasonable point, but not very well put.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

Ruby wrote: 05 Oct 2023, 13:11
Greatkudu wrote: 04 Oct 2023, 16:38

I respect JJ but the slagging of Hugh is so pointless,I thought he would have moved on with his views,but sadly he doesn't seem to have moved on,a bit pathetic to be honest,of course Hugh is no shrinking violet,but all i have seen from Hugh recently is pleasant comments about his old band.Major Kudu.

I must have missed those pleasant comments.When Hugh says he wishes them well you don't actually think he wishes them well,do you ?He has a very wry and sarky humour and
can say insincere things with a straight face
Yes of course you are right about Hugh but i think it really is about being irritated about interviewers trying to drag the conversation right back to the Stranglers when he hasn't been in the band for so many years now. Especially as he has worked very hard to get away from the band and most of the topic is trying to poke Hugh about them singing his songs and getting a reaction from him.

Of course Hugh is annoyed about tribute performers singing his songs i am annoyed about it let alone him, a fantastic legacy of a band has been watered down and ended up of a joke now anyone that cared enough about that band would be annoyed.

Comments from JJ about supporting the Undertones will be a reaction to Hugh's comment in an interview about how great and how much he enjoyed playing support to the Undertones. He had such a good time and got into the gigs so much its the first time in his career that he has lost his voice by putting too much into it. I didn't get to see Hugh in Norwich due to this event and wasted £200 and my time being told too late he was going to pull the gig grrr so i remember it well.

There cant be anything worst for JJ than to hear Hugh say even as a support act that he was having such a great time
stuartinblack
Rats Rally

Post by stuartinblack »

There is an in depth interview put up on you tube this morning John Robb with JJ
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I genuinely don't think Hugh gives that much of a crap about it apart from when he gets the cheques in the post from them performing the Hugh era songs. The thing JJ fails to grasp is regardless of what size venue Hugh is playing or who he is supporting he's happy and has the freedom to do whatever the feck he wants and that alone is priceless.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

theraven1979 wrote: 05 Oct 2023, 13:58 I genuinely don't think Hugh gives that much of a crap about it apart from when he gets the cheques in the post from them performing the Hugh era songs. The thing JJ fails to grasp is regardless of what size venue Hugh is playing or who he is supporting he's happy and has the freedom to do whatever the feck he wants and that alone is priceless.

Jim
Yeah absolutely and personally myself i think it shows positively in Hugh's music as well.
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Just watched JJ with John Robb on youtube, another great interview, really looking forward to this book.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPUvoxNR37Y
Shush this is serious
Fredib
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Fredib »

stuartinblack wrote: 05 Oct 2023, 13:54 There is an in depth interview put up on you tube this morning John Robb with JJ
The book is an "in depth" interview by itself. Best book Stranglers related is still "Song by Song" imho but nevertheless this JJ book is very good reading (read the French version already). Easy reading, satisfaction guaranteed
Fredib
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Fredib »

theraven1979 wrote: 05 Oct 2023, 13:58 I genuinely don't think Hugh gives that much of a crap about it apart from when he gets the cheques in the post from them performing the Hugh era songs. The thing JJ fails to grasp is regardless of what size venue Hugh is playing or who he is supporting he's happy and has the freedom to do whatever the feck he wants and that alone is priceless.

Jim
You read my mind, Jim
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 05 Oct 2023, 15:32 Just watched JJ with John Robb on youtube, another great interview, really looking forward to this book.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPUvoxNR37Y
Great Interview,I think he did a little dig at Hugh about his book ie: meeting Bono etc,but apart from that JJ comes across as a decent intelligent chap,he's never boring IMHO.Major Dundee.
Waffle waitress
Rats Rally

Post by Waffle waitress »

Fredib wrote: 05 Oct 2023, 15:38
stuartinblack wrote: 05 Oct 2023, 13:54 There is an in depth interview put up on you tube this morning John Robb with JJ
The book is an "in depth" interview by itself. Best book Stranglers related is still "Song by Song" imho but nevertheless this JJ book is very good reading (read the French version already). Easy reading, satisfaction guaranteed
At last, our first real review.
I'll do mine when l actually get to read it also.
(all that's missing is the choker)

Liberez les Stranglers!