CRASS

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Palais23
VERSATRAN SERIES F

CRASS

Post by Palais23 »

Just had some new bookcases and therefore got the books down from the loft (I know, not very punk). Anyway, I decided to read a book that my brother bought me many years ago: The Day the Country Died - all about the anarcho punk scene from 77-84. I have always been.a first wave punk fan and therefore had ignored the anarcho scene. Fascinating reading and after much listening I am a truly converted CRASS Fan (I am sure Penny Rimbaud would not like the term converted). Difficult to listen initially but great songs like Do They Owe us a Living, Banned from the Roxy, Shaved Women, and anything from the brilliant, post punk feminist album Penis Envy. So good that I am going to see Steve Ignorant with the talented Carol Hodge later this year.

Any love for this band on the forum? Or am I alone again or?
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Re: CRASS

Post by aldinblack »

I got into The Feeding Of The 5000, which I always found to be an interesting album back then.
I've not listened to it for many years though. Not familiar with anything else from them.

Sent from my moto g62 5G using Tapatalk

I Hate You !
Waffle waitress
Rats Rally

Post by Waffle waitress »

I got Reality Asylum, back in the day, and it scared the bejesus out of me, l thought l would go to hell for sneaking it onto the turntable 😄
These days l much prefer Jeffrey Lewis' brilliant album of Crass covers from a good few years ago, its well worth a listen
(all that's missing is the choker)

Liberez les Stranglers!
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

The only band that truly disturbed me,Shaved Woman Collaborators really unpleasant for a 13 year old back then.Major Kudu.
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

Greatkudu wrote: 23 Jul 2023, 16:38 The only band that truly disturbed me,Shaved Woman Collaborators really unpleasant for a 13 year old back then.Major Kudu.
Tell us how Nubiles effected your Teenage Dating Years.
Palais23
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais23 »

Greatkudu wrote: 23 Jul 2023, 16:38 The only band that truly disturbed me,Shaved Woman Collaborators really unpleasant for a 13 year old back then.Major Kudu.
You should watch the Crass members doing Shaved women at the Last Supper gig. Great vocals from Carol Hodge and Eve Libertine. Powerful stuff in all senses.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Cells&Plasma wrote: 23 Jul 2023, 18:58
Well I first heard Nubiles in 1977,I had no idea at the time what the song was about,it had no effect in anyway but I loved the sound of it,no song by any band has ever effected me in my Personal life,it's just music.Major Kudu.
Palais23
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais23 »

Greatkudu wrote: 23 Jul 2023, 22:14
Well I first heard Nubiles in 1977,I had no idea at the time what the song was about,it had no effect in anyway but I loved the sound of it,no song by any band has ever effected me in my Personal life,it's just music.Major Kudu.
I am totally opposite. Music, especially certain bands, have affected me deeply - whether ethically or through moods. That's the power of music. Saw Steve Ignorant a couple of nights ago in Manchester and his lyrics and energy are still.as relevant as back in the Crass days. Still coming down from this great gig.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Palais23 wrote: 24 Sep 2023, 17:53
Greatkudu wrote: 23 Jul 2023, 22:14

I am totally opposite. Music, especially certain bands, have affected me deeply - whether ethically or through moods. That's the power of music. Saw Steve Ignorant a couple of nights ago in Manchester and his lyrics and energy are still.as relevant as back in the Crass days. Still coming down from this great gig.
That's good to hear, actually of course music has effected me,it's lifted my mood in depressed times,glad you enjoyed the gig.Major Kudu.
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

I've always had a bit of a problem with Crass and Rimbaud. I do not doubt his integrity and his belief, but I struggle with the way that many slavishly follow the word of Crass and Rimbaud. To me, punk was about having your own thoughts and ideas and deciding what you wanted or didn't. Followers of Rimbaud appear to have replaced one set of "rules" with another.

Years ago, a lad at a gig we were doing was telling me how he "lived his life by Crass" and he was rather crestfallen when I challenged him on it. He had nothing as a back up which I found rather sad.

Each to their own, and if it makes you happy but I don't think it's terrible radical to tell people what to do and how to do it.

Perhaps I am missing the point......... :?:
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
Waffle waitress
Rats Rally

Post by Waffle waitress »

jetblacksdad wrote: 28 Sep 2023, 08:57 I've always had a bit of a problem with Crass and Rimbaud. I do not doubt his integrity and his belief, but I struggle with the way that many slavishly follow the word of Crass and Rimbaud. To me, punk was about having your own thoughts and ideas and deciding what you wanted or didn't. Followers of Rimbaud appear to have replaced one set of "rules" with another.

Years ago, a lad at a gig we were doing was telling me how he "lived his life by Crass" and he was rather crestfallen when I challenged him on it. He had nothing as a back up which I found rather sad.

Each to their own, and if it makes you happy but I don't think it's terrible radical to tell people what to do and how to do it.

Perhaps I am missing the point......... :?:
I think the point is, as you said, punk was about having your own thoughts, ideas and deciding what you did or did not want, but you have to be open to many different ideas to get there. To slavishly follow any doctrine is a bad idea, but to take something from the Crass/Rimbaud "rulebook" isn't. I don't know much about the subject of actual dedicated followers of any strict manifesto by Crass, l don't think that was a condition of staying at Dial House, for example, but, as l said, l may be wrong, but lm sure a lot of people have taken a bit of something that has stayed with them, from the idea and ideas of Crass.
(all that's missing is the choker)

Liberez les Stranglers!
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

Yeah, I suppose so.
Take a bit from everything and form your own conclusions

I'm sure I judge it too binary!
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+