new Baz interview

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Re: new Baz interview

Post by Ruby »

I'd go along with the first answer.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

Greatkudu wrote: 13 Aug 2023, 11:07
StanInBlack wrote: 13 Aug 2023, 10:02
Lafleur wrote: 12 Aug 2023, 22:52 Why the hell no one recognise what a hell of song writer and musician Hugh Cornwell is? Are his solo albums really so great that the whole world is just too stupid to recognise their quality? What's going wrong with mankind, with the music business, with Joe Public....
One answer is that his music isn't just that remarkable in the world of music.
Another answer is that it's hard for people to hear music if they don't know it exists.
Or it could be that most people couldn't give a Monkeys about Hugh's music? Just playing Devil's Advocate,his fan base is mostly Stranglers fans or ex fans of the original Stranglers.Major Kudu.
I think you are probably right but also not enough Stranglers Fans or Fans of the original because most fans wont like it as it doesnt sound like the stranglers.

If we are talking about today then its because he's too old now with no success of any significance to look back on.
If we are talking about the past he messed about with experimental music and for example doing a weird version of peaches when he first left the band on prime TV where he had good opportunity to show people what hes about. As well as taking ages to get a proper solo material out there and i think a lot of people moved on and forgot about him. Music moves fast you have a very tight window to prove yourself or fans find something different very quickly. Lots of fans will get into concept albums etc but a hell of a lot of fans wont. Time was of the essence and he was not getting any younger

If you think of other very successful artists like George Michael, Phil Collins, Robbie Williams , Sting , Paul Weller they were well prepared no chances were going to be missed they made sure their first shot at it was there very best. Even if fans didn't like the change at first there was enough interest to keep the ball rolling and then as the hits started to happen those people came back to the early catalogue and started buying that as well
Its a slow appreciation for Hugh's material as well but once it grips you it is there for life but obviously people need to hear it on the radio first and enough times for that to happen. His music does not have an instant charm

He likes to change his style as well being different all the time suits some but not the majority as i have said in the past people see repetitive successful formulas in music as consistent and of course Hugh does not conform.

But anyway i don't care what the general public like, Hugh's music is remarkable to me and that's all that matters. Who wants the gigs to get busy and over populated making ticket sales hard to get i certainly don't.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Yes I agree who gives a fuck what the general public like,Back on thread I can't even remember what Baz said in the interview. :smt005 Major Bunter.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Lafleur wrote: 12 Aug 2023, 22:52 Why the hell no one recognise what a hell of song writer and musician Hugh Cornwell is? Are his solo albums really so great that the whole world is just too stupid to recognise their quality? What's going wrong with mankind, with the music business, with Joe Public....
Another answer is that it's hard for people to hear music if they don't know it exists.
Well you know what your absolutely right there if people don't know it exits in the first place which is the difference when Hugh was back in the day with the band they were so much in the public eye,radio and TV regularly the general public heard what they were doing which today for Hugh and the band come to that being the more maturer musicians from a long time ago will never again get the same level of media exposure that they once did and yes your right that is the first major point for not only Hugh but the band and Paul too come to that....well for all musicians in general today.
Paul's Freedom is a fine example it's a great radio friendly song that has got a great commercial sound to it as well I love it but it's getting the that link between people like you say that hasn't heard it or even know it exists in the first place......very good and a obvious point from you when you think about it which is a real shame because there are so many musicians making good music that will either never get it heard or earn them a living but that's the state of play and where we are in the music business today......good point from you though.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Or it could be that most people couldn't give a Monkeys about Hugh's music?
Again, it's hard for people to make that decision if they haven't heard it.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 13 Aug 2023, 15:13

Or it could be that most people couldn't give a Monkeys about Hugh's music?
Again, it's hard for people to make that decision if they haven't heard it.
Yes and I've sent a few tracks from Hugh's last album to friends of mine who have never heard of him and they really liked the songs,just goes to show,if more people heard the bigger the following,but I think Hugh is very happy with his level of success at the moment and pleased to still have an audience that loves what he does.Major Kudu.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

That's the great thing about Spotify. It's so easy to WhatsApp tracks to your friends.