Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Bands that you just can't take to.

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Greatkudu wrote: 26 Jul 2023, 13:19
theraven1979 wrote: 26 Jul 2023, 12:37 Been hammering the feck out of their recent re-issue (which I recall not massively liking at the time but it's an absolute grower).

I can see why some Stranglers fans would like them. If you get over the "bagpipe guitar" (not my quote) they've some great tracks. Someone lent me their Greatest Hits when I was a young-un and I was all over it. Tracks like The Teacher basically takes Toiler as a template IMO https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qotEzGUUi8M . They do that thing The Stranglers do so well; creating an amazing soundscape and layering it with stories and amazing musicianship.

Jim
Agree.Major Bunter.
Only saw Big Country once with The Stranglers at Reading ‘83 and they were great. Loved Stuart Adamson’s guitar work and especially in The Skids.
Shush this is serious
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Depeche Mode.
A truly fucking awful band and one I wouldn’t have thought any real Stranglers fan would appreciate.
Shush this is serious
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 26 Jul 2023, 16:34 Depeche Mode.
A truly fucking awful band and one I wouldn’t have thought any real Stranglers fan would appreciate.
Obviously very different from the Stranglers but I think Dave Gahans's got a great voice and they've written some great songs with their own interesting atmospheric sound.
Waffle waitress
Rats Rally

Post by Waffle waitress »

Palais23 wrote: 24 Jul 2023, 16:44
Waffle waitress wrote: 24 Jul 2023, 15:20
Palais23 wrote: 21 Jul 2023, 19:05 If he was playing in my garden, I would apologise to the neighbours, charge the fans £50 each and give the profits to Greenpeace. Fuck it, I sound like Glastonbury! What a middle class, non-music fan festival that's developed into. Blame the Bourgeois!

Do they owe us a living?

(Please provide the correct answer)
Of course they fucking do!😄😎
Gold star for you Waffle Waitress!
:lol:
(all that's missing is the choker)

Liberez les Stranglers!
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

For me, I can never love a Queen song, they became (rock) music for straights
who don't like rock music. Then there was Sun City..
...I'm making lists of all the people I love,
and all the cunts that should fuck off...
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

BTW I like how the yardstick for how good a band is is if they sound like The Stranglers :lol:

There's loads of music I'm into that sounds nothing like The Stranglers

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

theraven1979 wrote: 27 Jul 2023, 15:12 BTW I like how the yardstick for how good a band is is if they sound like The Stranglers :lol:

Jim
Surely that's all rubbish though! :lol:
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

jason wrote:
theraven1979 wrote: 27 Jul 2023, 15:12 BTW I like how the yardstick for how good a band is is if they sound like The Stranglers Image

Jim
Surely that's all rubbish though! Image
Case closed!

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

I quite liked Big Country,saw them in concert on their steeltown tour in 84.They were different and original,with a unique sound.Like another band I'm fond of.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 26 Jul 2023, 16:32 Only saw Big Country once with The Stranglers at Reading ‘83 and they were great.
I also saw them there, and have seen them more recently in a local venue, and thought they were great live, but I don't think the energy comes across on record, though that can be said about a lot of rock bands.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

droopsnoot wrote: 03 Aug 2023, 08:01
Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 26 Jul 2023, 16:32 Only saw Big Country once with The Stranglers at Reading ‘83 and they were great.
I also saw them there, and have seen them more recently in a local venue, and thought they were great live, but I don't think the energy comes across on record, though that can be said about a lot of rock bands.
Sounds like that gig would have been brilliant. I had a mate who went to the gigs when Big Country were at their most prominent and he always said how brilliant the band were live he always urged me i should go. I have a feeling i have seen them supporting at a festival or something (it wasn't that one you have mentioned) but i just cant remember but i think they are a band that would have needed to be seen they were definitely famous for there mass of audience bouncing up and down at the gigs right to the back of the halls.

It is funny but not only can studio recordings not sound as good as bands do when live but i also find Live albums don't do the band any justice or as good as being there Often i have played the album with great excitement and expectation to only be a bit disappointed and thinking i don't remember it being this flat it was miles better than this.