Post by Bear Cage »

Anyone else going to this:
  • Lambrini Girls
  • Buzzcocks
  • Still Little Fingers
  • Generation Sex
  • Blondie
  • Iggy Pop
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: Dogday Afternoon

Post by theraven1979 »

Looks very tasty that. Enjoy if anyone is going.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
RetroRocket
Rats Rally

Post by RetroRocket »

I was lucky enough to be there. A quick review...

I missed the first band...

Buzzcocks...ive never seen them before, and not a huge fan. Okay ish...i think they are missing Pete Shelley.

SLF....their first two albums were essential listening in my youth, and they played loads from both...i really enjoyed them.

Generation Sex...they were the surprise for me, I didn't expect much but I thought they were great. Good to hear Jonesy's epic guitar sound live. I thought the Gen X songs were better than the Pistols. I would see them again.

Blondie...Debbie's voice has lost an octave...but a great singalong. She's still looking good. Solid band. Glen Matlock on bass...must have made for an interesting aftershow party! Loved the greatest hits set in a nostalgic way.!

Iggy is even more wizened and crooked...shirt off on the first two mins! A stunning band...very very good. A Stooges heavy set with only a couple from the new album. Highlight for me was The Endless Sea. Iggy still has amazing energy and vocal power. Glad I saw him again. At 76 how many more gigs like this can he do! Mind you, most of Debbie Harry is 78!

Missed the encore...was determined to get to the train station before the hordes.

All in all, a great day
Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Post by Boody »

Not wanting to go off topic, I saw the Buzzcocks at the 100 Club last Friday. I really wanted to like them but yes, I think they miss Pete Shelley big time.
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

I really cant imagine the Buzzcocks without Pete Shelley its totally bizarre

I saw the Buzzcocks a couple of times back in the early 80s i was no big fan at all still not really and i only went because my mates were going and glad i did as they really were brilliant live when Pete Shelley was in the band. One of the most memorable gigs i ever went to.

I was a huge fan of SLF when i was a teen glad to hear they still do a good live gig ? That's a really good line up with Blondie as well its amazing just how good they all are with their age and all.

Thanks for the review sounds like a great night to have been at. I would have enjoyed that
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

Quick review:
  • Lambrini Girls: not very good - Punky, shouty female three piece, campaigning for Trans rights.
  • Buzzcocks: Last time I saw Buzzcocks was the Shelley tribute gig ar the RAH (with guests singing Shelleytracks), they mainly alternated between tracks off their new album and Shelley sung classics, Diggles voice not brilliant. Orgasm Addict and Harmony where probably the highs, overall I think everyone that followed was better, but would see them again.
  • SLF: Brillant - best performance of the day, a greatest hits set drawn from early albums.
  • Generation Sex: Pretty much alternated between Gen X and Pistols, musically tight but Idol’s no Johnny Rotten and lacked his aggression and humour, so the Gen X tracks tended to be better, but still fairly good overall.
  • Blondie: another greatest hits set, musically brilliant and Debbie’s learnt how to accommodate her inability to hit the high notes by moving the mic away from her mouth so her voice fades, which worked well. Probably better than last time are saw them 20 odd years ago.
  • Iggy Pop: lots of Stooges and classic tracks, high for me was probably Search and Destroy. Iggy’s voice not quite what it used to be (unsurprisingly) and volume low in the mix. But still impressive.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.