50th Anniversary Setlist?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

stuartinblack
Rats Rally

Re: 50th Anniversary Setlist?

Post by stuartinblack »

My last 4 would be Hanging Tolier Sewer and Heroes
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

toilerinblack wrote: 21 May 2023, 13:30 :?
Firstly a few more from Suite if they ever wanted to start a gig with a cracking Stranglers song that was recorded post Hugh then for me .."Summat Outanowt" comes straight to my mind and top of any setlist.... what a belter to start with... just a cracking song that has literally everything to it's name from one of the best post Hugh albums to date.....
Will it be a Toiler start or from the very beginning of this bands formation they will start with JJs first written song...."Go Buddy go" after Waltz and will they end with "Heroes....
Crikey I hate 'Summat Outanowt'... but I'm sure they will start with a classic. I like the idea of Go Buddy Go and it makes chronological sense.
Let's Boogie
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Apparently the first set is gonna be MKII songs only :grin:

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
toneinstoke
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by toneinstoke »

"Shut up" (i haven't heard it live for years) please, followed by go buddy go and no more heroes.
marky
Ugly
Ugly

Post by marky »

Get the crowd going with ghost train hitman mad hatter what more could you ask for?
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

stuartinblack wrote: 22 May 2023, 15:42 My last 4 would be Hanging Tolier Sewer and Heroes
I'd expect that if they're going to do those four tracks, they'll spread them around the set a bit.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
stuartinblack
Rats Rally

Post by stuartinblack »

theraven1979 wrote: 22 May 2023, 16:14 Apparently the first set is gonna be MKII songs only :grin:

Jim
Paul Roberts singing them maybe 😛
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

toneinstoke wrote: 22 May 2023, 16:51 "Shut up" (i haven't heard it live for years) please, followed by go buddy go and no more heroes.
Yes "shut up" was a Huge hit with the tribute band Straighten out' tour it went down so well the crowd sang along with all the words, so yes a great quick song like you say that hasn't been done for god knows how long now.
I think "Go Buddy Go" would be a good start from the very beginning of the formation,Grip,Straighten out,Ugly,threatened,Curfew and all the real great tracks that come to mind then move forwards through their musicial career,the only thing for me is doing all this early Mk1 material there's something missing........Hugh Cornwell.
I'm not so much a fan of them covering his early material vocally but on a 50th I presume they will be doing a lot of that material so I get that...but I am a fan of what they do live post '90 on their own material that does sound so good,so it' a bit of a swings and roundabouts for me only.
kenl
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by kenl »

markorbit wrote: 22 May 2023, 16:12
Firstly a few more from Suite if they ever wanted to start a gig with a cracking Stranglers song that was recorded post Hugh then for me .."Summat Outanowt" comes straight to my mind and top of any setlist.... what a belter to start with... just a cracking song that has literally everything to it's name from one of the best post Hugh albums to date.....
Will it be a Toiler start or from the very beginning of this bands formation they will start with JJs first written song...."Go Buddy go" after Waltz and will they end with "Heroes....
Crikey I hate 'Summat Outanowt'... but I'm sure they will start with a classic. I like the idea of Go Buddy Go and it makes chronological sense.
Apart from an interesting bass line, it's a poor song.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

kenl wrote: 23 May 2023, 16:06
markorbit wrote: 22 May 2023, 16:12
Apart from an interesting bass line, it's a poor song.
Yes JJs bass work I think is top class in that song that stands out as one of his best construction wise post genetix for me.
I'd like many of Suite's tracks to get an airing but I can't see it on the formation hits tour.
Lowlands is another great song that's unlikely to get airing either from GIants that i'd like to hear as well but I doubt any of them will tbh.
I can imagine The Raven and Tank and maybe even Time to die returning for the big one next year and obviously Sewer,Toiler too....all the big gun classic songs will be returning for the spectacular 50th tour again not that they ever really went away in the first place....lol
I'd like to hear BItching again it's well overdue for another airing.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Tallking of Leicester and the Ally 10 tour something that's always puzzled me was there ever the need to have JE on stage with Hugh too? The two guitars I felt smutherd the songs and his addition for me was never right or needed but that's just my opinion and that's nothing against John at all he's a sure fine guitarist for sure and I have liked a lot of his work especially on WIR and ITN....it's more for me that I felt it wasn't needed on those great as they were Mk1 songs making them sound for me squashed and over the top...but may others will differ on that opinion.
I kind of get the fullness of the brass and some clever little addition bits from John adding to a full stage sound production but for me I remember I couldn't at the Ally really hear Hugh's guitaring much it was more of a case of John's over Hugh's,but Hugh's vocal sound there was amazing .
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

They needed to increase band members to have a fighting chance not to be drowned out by the brass.