The Stranglers - Sydney - April 22 2023

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

The Stranglers - Sydney - April 22 2023

Post by markorbit »

It's been a while since I heard what the band currently sound like. Gotta say that I'm impressed with how authentic this sounds especially the keyboards with the cymbalet emulation and harpsichord but everybody is doing a great job.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCnSiC-sIOM
Let's Boogie
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: The Stranglers - Sydney - April 22 2023

Post by toilerinblack »

:wink: Like or loathe the current line up their one tightly played unit along with an excellent sound production from every member including very clear keyboards the whole band sound is top notch and alot of people have made that comment for some time now.
They seem to just better and better in my view,four very professional musicians who all seem to get on so well as friends too and that is also why it's working so well on the tours,why should they stop when these day's they seem so relaxed and really enjoying playing to an audience with very good reviews from just about everywhere that they have played and are tight as f**k...so I say roll on to the big one next year......50!
The only thing I'd say is really change the set now by quite alot as there is so much different songs to choose from to make another tour sound different and fresh.
I say change the set list alot this year and save the hits for the...hits 50th tour next year.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 26 Apr 2023, 17:57, edited 3 times in total.
kenl
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by kenl »

The current Stranglers sound way better than the original line up ever did in terms of the music, no doubt down to modern technology. It's not the same though, but I was just a boy back.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

kenl wrote: 25 Apr 2023, 22:13 The current Stranglers sound way better than the original line up ever did in terms of the music, no doubt down to modern technology. It's not the same though, but I was just a boy back.
Yeah it must be modern technology like you say the sound is so much better these day's not that I know alot about that side of things but the production to each member sounds so good even Tony's keyboards,not that I'm saying they are a better band than MK1 because nothing can it's just I love their sound production of their sets today.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

I disagree,I think the sound was better in the 80s, but of course that was the original and best lineup,sound is ok now though.Major Styles.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 26 Apr 2023, 20:14 I disagree,I think the sound was better in the 80s, but of course that was the original and best lineup,sound is ok now though.Major Styles.
The gigs I saw from back in the day and especially the Hammersmith ones were the best gis I've ever seen nothing touches those gigs and line up for me again we all differ I'm sure there are fans who never saw the originals and love this current line up and why not they still are a great band,but fans have different views and likes from joining and following the Stranglers from all from different times and decades.
All I'm saying in my view is the current line ups sound production along with their tightly played set does sound excellent for those who do still want to seem them today.The gigs were always a great atmosphere from back in the day and seeing my favourite band live was second to none but today's sound production is still very good and can it be compare to that of the early eighties? I wouldn't really know about the production side of things and have they come along way from those days with present sound eqiupment used,maybe others would know more than me on that front and say if they think it is infact better or the same or worse presently as i wouldn't really know but it's an intesting thought on sound say late '70s and 80s compared to today would be intresting to hear if people think the sound today is better or worse than what they saw and heard say 30-40 years ago in comparison to present day gigs...preference I suppose we will all differ,be intresting what some think about the ....
Then and now sound..
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

markorbit wrote: 25 Apr 2023, 17:31 It's been a while since I heard what the band currently sound like. Gotta say that I'm impressed with how authentic this sounds especially the keyboards with the cymbalet emulation and harpsichord but everybody is doing a great job.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCnSiC-sIOM
Not bad, enjoyed that!
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

Cant find a new post about this, but here is a bit more from Sydney: Toby Hounsham Rig Tour - The Stranglers (The Metro, Sydney Australia)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OW3sKkoG_Q
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

alaninblack wrote: 28 Apr 2023, 11:17 Cant find a new post about this, but here is a bit more from Sydney: Toby Hounsham Rig Tour - The Stranglers (The Metro, Sydney Australia)

Good find, thanks
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

The Toby run through talk about the keyboards was excellent loved watching that from him and his equipment he uses and the usage of his I phone was a fascinating watch and listen where he was saying the he can just at anytime press into any song needed at a drop of hat to say having a blank moment where it will give him relevant key information, pointers and chords to to that particular song and him talking about jj describing his playing as moochin ...new one on me lol
I watched about 6 tracks of the Sydney gig and it sounded excellent, sharp and tight,I thought Sometimes sounded spot on but i did think the Hanging Around and Walk vocals wasn't there tbh but both were musically spot on as usual, but apart from that it was an excellent set from what I heard only and the one thing that did stand right out with me was the sound of Toby's Keyboards with its's excellent sound and volume within the overall band sound....great gig and tour from what I could hear only .
kenl
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by kenl »

alaninblack wrote: 28 Apr 2023, 11:17 Cant find a new post about this, but here is a bit more from Sydney: Toby Hounsham Rig Tour - The Stranglers (The Metro, Sydney Australia)

Very interesting and a great homage to Mr Greenfield.

Perhaps the complexity of the keyboard setup is why there are limited set changes..
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Toby deff the best they could get to play Dave's parts
Major Kudu.