Anyone going to Paris?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Anyone going to Paris?

Post by Ruby »

Greatkudu wrote: 16 Mar 2023, 18:39

I think we maybe need a new thread of the bands good and bad fashion over the years? not on this thread though.Major Kudu.
Sorry to post off topic,just a bit of fun.As Hugh once said,it was all about the music,not the look.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Ruby wrote: 16 Mar 2023, 18:50
Greatkudu wrote: 16 Mar 2023, 18:39

I think we maybe need a new thread of the bands good and bad fashion over the years? not on this thread though.Major Kudu.
Sorry to post off topic,just a bit of fun.As Hugh once said,it was all about the music,not the look.
Yes but I do think a thread about the bands looks over the years might be fun? Major Kudu.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

Ruby wrote: 16 Mar 2023, 12:06 It's strange.Even JJ doesn't seem to have time to slag him off.As Ellis said himself,that period of the band's history has been airbrushed from history and he's right.Not one song from 1991/1999 in the set.There's enough quality there after sifting through the dregs to get at least one track in the live set.
Time to Die has been played pretty regularly, that's the only one really.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

parasiteinblack wrote: 16 Mar 2023, 19:12
Ruby wrote: 16 Mar 2023, 12:06 It's strange.Even JJ doesn't seem to have time to slag him off.As Ellis said himself,that period of the band's history has been airbrushed from history and he's right.Not one song from 1991/1999 in the set.There's enough quality there after sifting through the dregs to get at least one track in the live set.
Sir off thread,there are some real Gems that should be played,and off thread again,at least with Paul and John E they were more productive,sets were far better,but I just think its easier to stick with the old songs,I would love to see an in depth review of Paris, Olympia,I should of gone then I could have done one of my Kudu Specials that some seem to like? but I didn't go,and I wish I had now,as whatever anyone thinks of the band now,they put on a cracking evening (no drug references intended here).Major Kudu.
strangledinAuch
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by strangledinAuch »

Greatkudu wrote: 16 Mar 2023, 21:12
Sir off thread,there are some real Gems that should be played,and off thread again,at least with Paul and John E they were more productive,sets were far better,but I just think its easier to stick with the old songs,I would love to see an in depth review of Paris, Olympia,I should of gone then I could have done one of my Kudu Specials that some seem to like? but I didn't go,and I wish I had now,as whatever anyone thinks of the band now,they put on a cracking evening (no drug references intended here).Major Kudu.
Major Kudu

Imagine JJ casting his mind back to the dark days of 1990
Then fast forward 33 years
Playing to a sell out at L'Olympia in Paris
Stuff of dreams
I'm so happy for him
See You At The Bar
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

strangledinAuch wrote: 18 Mar 2023, 20:55
Greatkudu wrote: 16 Mar 2023, 21:12

Major Kudu

Imagine JJ casting his mind back to the dark days of 1990
Then fast forward 33 years
Playing to a sell out at L'Olympia in Paris
Stuff of dreams
I'm so happy for him
Yes of course JJ must be happy,I don't think anyone imagined they would still be going and selling out big venues.Major Kudu
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

The thing is, when all is said and done and it's all wrapped up, people aren't going to remember it. Whereas they WILL remember Ally Pally 1990, and that wasn't even a good gig, but it matters more because it represents the closing of the era that mattered most.
marky
Ugly
Ugly

Post by marky »

Ally pally was an awful gig if ever there was a film to show a band utterly disengaged with each other this was it and let’s not mention John Ellis and the brass section
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

People will remember this.....
People will remember this.....
20230312_101938.jpg (529.27 KiB) Viewed 5419 times
StanInBlack wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 00:20 The thing is, when all is said and done and it's all wrapped up, people aren't going to remember it. Whereas they WILL remember Ally Pally 1990, and that wasn't even a good gig, but it matters more because it represents the closing of the era that mattered most.
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

marky wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 06:31 Ally pally was an awful gig if ever there was a film to show a band utterly disengaged with each other this was it and let’s not mention John Ellis and the brass section
Yep it was a Disgrace. Unfortunately People who weren't there have no Idea what they're talking about.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

Cells&Plasma wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 09:28
marky wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 06:31 Ally pally was an awful gig if ever there was a film to show a band utterly disengaged with each other this was it and let’s not mention John Ellis and the brass section
Yep it was a Disgrace. Unfortunately People who weren't there have no Idea what they're talking about.
To me this was the start of Hugh getting bored and looking for some inspiration to keep his attention in the band which did last for a few years. JJ put it down to keeping movement on stage as he said they were slowing down and they wanted visual movement to keep it interesting. The gigs were really exciting and some fantastic renditions of old songs as well

The Ally pally gig wasn't perfect by their standards but definitely not awful but i could tell something was wrong. I think one thing that i sort of noticed at the gig was the longer silent pauses in between songs where normally Hugh would have filled with some witty comments or wind ups. Not to mention how far apart they stood from each other at the front.

But if you really want to cringe it was the patter cake game the brass section used during Nuclear Device that got me cringing :grin:

You are perfectly right though that additionally its widely understood that you are not a proper fan if you wasn't at that gig and not worthy of any recognition and importance to be able to comment on the stranglers ever again. Not my words i might add but a common agreeance amongst all the true fans of the band and the band themselves pmsl :grin: All i care about is that i was there!!!!
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Cells&Plasma wrote:
20230312_101938.jpg
StanInBlack wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 00:20 The thing is, when all is said and done and it's all wrapped up, people aren't going to remember it. Whereas they WILL remember Ally Pally 1990, and that wasn't even a good gig, but it matters more because it represents the closing of the era that mattered most.
Ah right you think that photo is a big deal?! Image

Did you see the following night it had "The Pixies" on it. Wouldn't have minded that one tbh

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"