Toby songs

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: Toby songs

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 27 Jan 2023, 22:44 He will never perform Dave sung songs that would be horrendous and it won't happen,he's a great player,but those songs must never be performed again, unless Hugh sings some as he has with Dead Ringer and Peasant,I'm being harsh but I don't see Toby as a Strangler,hes just doing the Dave parts very well.Of course if they release a new album he may sing a song? Fuck knows,but personally I can't see a new album,they could barely write enough songs for the last one,the tap has run dry.Major of Arms Kudu.
Fair points...
I'm not saying Toby could sing Dave's songs i can't hear his backing harmonizing to tell,he's come in like you say to fill and has done a fine job that i thought wouldn't sound as good as it has been so all credit there but yes your probably right they won't take it on.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

Of course Toby should sing Dave songs if he has a singing voice. The Stranglers are on their third lead singer now so in my mind why cant Toby sing Dave songs its not like the original sound of the Stranglers will be spoilt all of a sudden if he does.

I think if there is a new Stranglers Album i predict Toby will sing one track.Its a great way to get fans focused and intrigued in listening and maybe even buying the album just to hear. It does all come down to his capabilities.

I actually watched a Paul version concert live on youtube and i was so surprised how much he has calmed all the stage antics down. Yes he was jumping about which went with the songs but none of that ridiculous poses and finger snapping, leg bouncing, hair flicking and spinning his head left to right to the beat of the songs. He calmed his vocals right down as well he used to put some sort of distortion on the accents and spoilt the songs. I have to say he has improved his stage persona by a million times. Maybe it was his age that slowed him down or he realises that sometime less is more especially when you do have a very good voice already.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Well I think so too...why not if he can and from what I can make out he can sing.
It would give them a new fresh direction,vision and sound and them deciding to carry on
after two members passing over I think they should do just that as a new direction.
I've always been one for doing Dave's songs and why not...Hugh does knowing Full well he
doesn't sound anything like Dave and that's just the point he does them to tribute him and because
they are good songs too so why shouldn't anyone sing a Dave song ?
Do them because they want to sing them in their own way just like hugh does with Thrown away ,Dead ringer and peasant very well too but does them in his own way and style of deliverance.....great stuff and why not i say and do Dave proud.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 04 Mar 2023, 13:55, edited 3 times in total.
adeinblack
Rats Rally

Post by adeinblack »

I think they should do Genetix as an instrumental.....the crowd will fill in.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

toilerinblack wrote: 04 Mar 2023, 13:34 Well I think so too...why not if he can and from what I can make out he can sing.
It would give them a new fresh direction,vision and sound and them deciding to carry on
after two members passing over I think they should do just that as a new direction.
I've always been one for doing Dave's songs and why not...Hugh does knowing Full well he
doesn't sound anything like Dave and that's just the point he does them to tribute him and because
they are good songs too so why shouldn't anyone sing a Dave song Dave?
Do them because they like them and sing them in their own way of covering like hugh does with
Thrown away and Dead ringer and peasant..great stuff!
I say do em and do Dave proud!
That's the best argument i have heard for them continuing - Great Post
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

adeinblack wrote: 04 Mar 2023, 13:46 I think they should do Genetix as an instrumental.....the crowd will fill in.
Yes you could your right but you know what i think that singing them is even better
Hugh doesn't do them as instrumentals no need they sound so good however it's sung I think.
But Genetix is so good musically that it would sound excellent as an instrumental that much is so true I think and what a genius musical piece of work the four original members created together all those years ago .....It's timeless!
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

For me maybe only i don't understand why a Dave song shouldn't ever be sung again ....they are all far to good to be hidden away forever in my opinion.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 04 Mar 2023, 14:07 For me maybe only i don't understand why a Dave song shouldn't ever be sung again ....they are all far to good to be hidden away forever in my opinion.
Sir the Dave sung songs were so Dave it would be wrong to play them again IMHO,unless Hugh did some solo which he has with Dead Ringer,I'm sure they won't do them again.Major Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 04 Mar 2023, 19:04
toilerinblack wrote: 04 Mar 2023, 14:07 For me maybe only i don't understand why a Dave song shouldn't ever be sung again ....they are all far to good to be hidden away forever in my opinion.
Sir the Dave sung songs were so Dave it would be wrong to play them again IMHO,unless Hugh did some solo which he has with Dead Ringer,I'm sure they won't do them again.Major Kudu.
Hugh did Dead RInger and peasant in the past and tributed Dave on his last tour with Waltz for Dave too as a guess so if Hugh thought it was ok which i thought it was a fantastic thing to do with Dead Ringer to also then why not? Do you not think that these great songs should never again be heard to his fans who like them so much?
Me I think his fantastic work should still get heard after all it meant so much after Dave for the band to finish and release his fine work why? So the fans can enjoy and play his work as much as they want to after all I'm sure Dave would love his work to continue on and on in his memory but maybe it's my way of thinking and the many will agree with you and I wouldn't know if the band would or will ever again cover a Dave sung song ...but I think it would be better heard than never again and I hope that it's not a one off from Hugh too and a song covered every now and then would be nice to hear than never again, again we all differ and at the end of the day the band and Hugh will do what they feel is right for them and rightly so.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Sir I really believe the Dave sung songs should not be performed by the Stranglers again,fans had years to enjoy when Dave sang them,no problems with Hugh singing any of Dave sung songs.Major Kudu.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

Greatkudu wrote: 05 Mar 2023, 18:50 Sir I really believe the Dave sung songs should not be performed by the Stranglers again,fans had years to enjoy when Dave sang them,no problems with Hugh singing any of Dave sung songs.Major Kudu.
So it's OK for Hugh to sing them, but not the band that he was a part of? A very strange view, in my opinion, but each to their own.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

droopsnoot wrote: 05 Mar 2023, 19:05
Greatkudu wrote: 05 Mar 2023, 18:50 Sir I really believe the Dave sung songs should not be performed by the Stranglers again,fans had years to enjoy when Dave sang them,no problems with Hugh singing any of Dave sung songs.Major Kudu.
So it's OK for Hugh to sing them, but not the band that he was a part of? A very strange view, in my opinion, but each to their own.
Yes a strange view,but do you really want to see Toby sing any of the Dave sung songs? It would be a car crash IMHO.Major Kudu.