Favourite album and why

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Favourite album and why

Post by jason »

Time for a Wolf v 10 thread methinks! :grin:
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

Oh dear lord. Has it really come to that?
marky
Ugly
Ugly

Post by marky »

I don’t have a least favourite album but 10 with its over production and that fucking cringy ghastly where I live song give ghost train from dream time a run for its money
kenl
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by kenl »

The Raven for me.

The lyrics are great but musically it is just sublime.

I still remember the first time I played it and was blown away by Longships and the Raven. The best start to the best LP of all time.

Still got my 3d sleeve and the inner sleeve with the cartoon picture that was removed.
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

jason wrote: 04 Feb 2023, 23:33 Time for a Wolf v 10 thread methinks! :grin:
Stop gas lighting Stanley.....he'll bite. 👋🏻
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

Greatkudu wrote: 04 Feb 2023, 09:52
Bear Cage wrote: 04 Feb 2023, 01:50 Covering different lineups,
Favourite Hugh era album, Black and White (and the best overall)
Of the albums featuring John Ellis it has to be Coup de Grace
My favourite Paul album is Norfolk Coast
And of the Baz ones it’s Suite 16
Coup de Grace? Wow a brave choice.Major Kudu.
Brave?, maybe different to others but not Brave. I know many dislike CDG but for me out of The Stranglers albums John Ellis played on it’s still my favoured listen.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Bear Cage wrote: 05 Feb 2023, 10:42
Bear Cage wrote: 04 Feb 2023, 01:50 Covering different lineups,
Favourite Hugh era album, Black and White (and the best overall)
Of the albums featuring John Ellis it has to be Coup de Grace
My favourite Paul album is Norfolk Coast
And of the Baz ones it’s Suite 16
Brave?, maybe different to others but not Brave. I know many dislike CDG but for me out of The Stranglers albums John Ellis played on it’s still my favoured listen.
Really? Yes we have different views but it's such a lame album IMHO,the production is the worst part about it.But a few good songs,but it's quite heartbreaking when you listen to that and think,is this what the Stranglers have come to, after the high quality work in the Hugh days,and really the Stranglers ended for me in reality when Hugh left,I still followed them but the magic went IMHO and I stand by that.Major Kudu
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

For me it's a toss up between Raven and B&W , barely anything in it for me, both are as near to perfection as the band have ever done .You have wonderful singles on both but even the lesser material is better than a lot of the best stuff on other albums , the band were at their creative height imO at this stage . MIB was completely oddball and by La File the band were getting a fair bit mellower .
Must also mention Evacuate by Chelsea and False Gestures by The Blood for excellent quality songs throughout those albums. There are usually a dud or two on any album but those mentioned I think have none .
All quiet ..........
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

Greatkudu wrote: 05 Feb 2023, 12:20
Bear Cage wrote: 05 Feb 2023, 10:42

Really? Yes we have different views but it's such a lame album IMHO,the production is the worst part about it.But a few good songs,but it's quite heartbreaking when you listen to that and think,is this what the Stranglers have come to, after the high quality work in the Hugh days,and really the Stranglers ended for me in reality when Hugh left,I still followed them but the magic went IMHO and I stand by that.Major Kudu
I’m only comparing CDG to the other albums featuring John Ellis, not the great works before or since.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

I think JE done some nice guitar work on ITN & WIR too tbh i prefer Baz's work that's more in line of Hugh's original type of lead work and for me some of Johns work was a little to much for me only for the song itself where as Baz's lead parts for me seems more suited for your typical Stranglers song in hand and whose taken the guitaring back more grass roots style that sits better with your typical type of Stranglers song for me only,but never the less john is no question a very good and talented guitarist in his own right.
shane
Down In The Sewer

Post by shane »

Black and White was the first Stranglers album I bought and fell in love with. I knew then that I had found my band. However for me it has to be the Raven. So inventive and creative. I never get bored of it. For me the period from Black and White to La Folie was when the band were at their creative peak. Great albums, great gigs, great times.
sdg
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Cells&Plasma wrote: 05 Feb 2023, 10:39
jason wrote: 04 Feb 2023, 23:33 Time for a Wolf v 10 thread methinks! :grin:
Stop gas lighting Stanley.....he'll bite. 👋🏻
Bites like a wild Wolf! :grin: