Songs you'd like to hear return

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

the taxman
Rats Rally

Re: Songs you'd like to hear return

Post by the taxman »

'Girl from the Snow Country' needs to come out of decades long hibernation
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Neither Baz nor JJ would be able to do convincing renditions of the majority of the material that PR originally sang on. Baz can barely manage stuff like "Tramp", he has no chance with "Face" ...
The few times Baz sang PR songs it was not too convincing I'm afraid.. the path not to return to.
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

evonx wrote:
Neither Baz nor JJ would be able to do convincing renditions of the majority of the material that PR originally sang on. Baz can barely manage stuff like "Tramp", he has no chance with "Face" ...
The few times Baz sang PR songs it was not too convincing I'm afraid.. the path not to return to.
Someone on Facebook said "baz sings like a drunken docker" which I thought was a tad unfair. But yeah he deffo doesn't have the range that Paul does or the rich vocal Hugh has.

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
porkymeat
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by porkymeat »

theraven1979 wrote: 21 Dec 2022, 20:35
evonx wrote:
Someone on Facebook said "baz sings like a drunken docker" which I thought was a tad unfair. But yeah he deffo doesn't have the range that Paul does or the rich vocal Hugh has.

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
unfair on drunken dockers?
I'll even let you drive my motorbike . . .
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

yes...Unfair this band sounds as good as they do today because of his imput since Paul's departure again i say Dutch Moon Paul's Dutch Moon and Baz's Dutch Moon?
Baz could see where this band was going and as Hugh would say...Wrong side of the tracks,again i say listen to Baz's solo acoustic gigs..
i'm not sayign he's Paul or Hugh but the stick he gets for what he's put into this band for over 20 years who brought back the old roots and energy again i for one dosen't really get it...but again everyone is entitled to their views, Paul as i have already said is probably the best vocal range singer this band has had but i feel Baz is a better all round musician who can write,play guitar and sing former Hugh and Paul songs and good ones of his own like...Relentless,i believe the band wouldn't be still playing today if he wasn't in it the imput he put into DM shows that i feel and the Lockdown Ratchats shows his enthusiasm to get this band back and running again,so yes Baz isn't Paul or Hugh they are all different in their own ways,style and right but i think he should be praised and appreciated after over two decades service.... after all he's a Strangler i say get behind the current line up
But it's only how i see it sitting on the fence as one fan only and everybody is entitled to their views and i respect that.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 21 Dec 2022, 21:25, edited 1 time in total.
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

i could never imagine Paul singing JLNOE,Nuclear Device
He did JLNOE on a few nights in the Hits n Heroes set (autumn/winter 1999) - one of the Hugh songs that for me did not work at all with Paul. Same with Thrown Away. Originally sung by JJ but Paul singing it was always a bit camp. And I am a big Paul fan don't forget. Sometimes the material just does not suit the singer. Simple as that.

His take on Nuclear Device was good imho.
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

evonx wrote: 21 Dec 2022, 21:24
i could never imagine Paul singing JLNOE,Nuclear Device
He did JLNOE on a few nights in the Hits n Heroes set (autumn/winter 1999) - one of the Hugh songs that for me did not work at all with Paul. Same with Thrown Away. Originally sung by JJ but Paul singing it was always a bit camp. And I am a big Paul fan don't forget. Sometimes the material just does not suit the singer. Simple as that.

His take on Nuclear Device was good imho.
Good and fair points i think they've all done well and i get those who are big Paul fans i really appreciate what he did for the band especially with WIR and NC and the acoustic on screen gigs those three for me were his highlights and his vocal range you could'nt argue or disagree or even dislike i think at all which others could never take on the likes of In Heaven she walks and so many more the list is endless and his vocal range and work in Tuckers Grave i still think is amazing nobody could take on those songs,i just feel baz has done so much for the good with this band who brought JJ back to how we once knew him to be and they all get on so well nowday's which is good to see,but i get what your saying as a Paul fan.
Let's hope for a good 2023 for the band with a NEW set list.
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

the taxman wrote: 21 Dec 2022, 19:25 'Girl from the Snow Country' needs to come out of decades long hibernation
Love to hear that one. Always liked the track, should have appeared on some rarities album, but never did ?
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

alaninblack wrote: 21 Dec 2022, 21:41
the taxman wrote: 21 Dec 2022, 19:25 'Girl from the Snow Country' needs to come out of decades long hibernation
Love to hear that one. Always liked the track, should have appeared on some rarities album, but never did ?
Don't think the rarities albums ever contain solo material or do they? Not that I'd expect the band to bother with this track. I've just listened to it.
Let's Boogie
adeinblack
Rats Rally

Post by adeinblack »

More chance of JJ coming out of the closet.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

evonx wrote: 21 Dec 2022, 21:24 Same with Thrown Away. Originally sung by JJ but Paul singing it was always a bit camp.
I always thought the trouble with Paul singing Thrown Away was that it was always either too high or too low for him. Never worked for me.
alaninblack wrote: 21 Dec 2022, 21:41
I was certain it was on "Strangled from birth and beyond" until I just looked up the track listing.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

adeinblack wrote: 22 Dec 2022, 09:48 More chance of JJ coming out of the closet.
Strange comment. :lol: