Songs you'd like to hear return

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: Songs you'd like to hear return

Post by parasiteinblack »

Ruby wrote: 18 Dec 2022, 00:13 Heaven or Hell,Face,Valley of the Birds.
That would be fantastic, but at the same time I don't know about Baz singing them. Maybe JJ could do it.
In the same vein - JJ should start singing Norfolk Coast again and reinstate the vocal melody from his 2000 acoustic version, it was great.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

It's a shame pretty much all of the mark two era doesn't get played. There's a lot of great tracks that could be played.
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

jason wrote: 18 Dec 2022, 10:28 It's a shame pretty much all of the mark two era doesn't get played. There's a lot of great tracks that could be played.
A wise man once said - "you can't deny the past." It's what they are doing though,91-99 is practically erased.
yesican
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by yesican »

Ugly
Meninblack
Lost Control
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

yesican wrote: 18 Dec 2022, 11:43 Ugly
Meninblack
Lost Control
Maybe the first two. I can live without Lost Control though.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Ruby wrote: 18 Dec 2022, 00:13 Heaven or Hell,Face,Valley of the Birds.
Very good choice your three i think..All from the Paul years too.
Heaven or Hell was the one track post Hugh that i did like off their first album without him even though i was still very sad and in shock still.Heaven or Hell is your classic sounding Stranglers song which is why i probably liked it so much and the same goes with Time To Die too that track is so an MK1 sounding song i would of loved to of heard MK1 do Time to die with Hugh on lead guitar that would of been brilliant to of seen and heard as Mk1 doing it after Waltz i could really imagine that as a classic start to a gig which they did do but i would of loved MK1 to of had that track.
So i agree with you with a return of Heaven or Hell a song for a long time i enjoyed playing so much on my guitar too back in the day i think this current line up could do the three you named very well i think....again good choices.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 18 Dec 2022, 21:01, edited 2 times in total.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

parasiteinblack wrote: 18 Dec 2022, 10:23 In the same vein - JJ should start singing Norfolk Coast again
I disagree there - although I know it was originally his song, when he started singing it after Paul left I didn't think it was good at all.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

droopsnoot wrote: 18 Dec 2022, 19:01
parasiteinblack wrote: 18 Dec 2022, 10:23 In the same vein - JJ should start singing Norfolk Coast again
I disagree there - although I know it was originally his song, when he started singing it after Paul left I didn't think it was good at all.
Not as good as Paul for sure, but I really like the acoustic version JJ did in 2000 and the vocal melody he used.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

droopsnoot wrote: 18 Dec 2022, 19:01
Agreed...JJ should shouldn't re take over the vocals on Norfolk coast leave it to Baz if they do it again live.
I feel he can do some of their track live like no other could with the way he sings them but with a lot of the songs they need a stronger better vocalist in a nice way,he does sing certain songs like Freedom,Stallion,Time to die and the Raven and those sort of a track that he's very good at doing with his style of vocal deliverance like no other tbh but i feel the majority of their material should be left in Baz's hands who is a better and stronger singer in a nice way to get the best out of a good song rather than jj,so yes in just my opinion only i would leave Baz on Norfolk Coast for sure.I mean tracks like Down i think should of been done by Baz who could of made that beautiful song even better and it is a beautifully written song for sure by JJ i think if he was the one who wrote it that is.
JJ for a long time can write a fantastic song as far back as Reap where again it was Jet who said it must be sung by Hugh which he did the song justice and sung a a beautiful version of it,so sometimes i feel that certain songs should be handed over for the right vocalist to sing and get the best out of a great written song,which on the whole is what they do do and that is in no way putting jj down at all because certain stranglers songs have to be sung by him like no other can do.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

parasiteinblack wrote: 18 Dec 2022, 19:11 Not as good as Paul for sure, but I really like the acoustic version JJ did in 2000 and the vocal melody he used.
I probably agree with you on the acoustic version, as it's quite a different arrangement from what I recall of it. But not for the proper full-on version - Baz does that better for me, though not quite as good as Paul did it.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Neither Baz nor JJ would be able to do convincing renditions of the majority of the material that PR originally sang on. Baz can barely manage stuff like "Tramp", he has no chance with "Face" ...
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

StanInBlack wrote: 20 Dec 2022, 01:23 Neither Baz nor JJ would be able to do convincing renditions of the majority of the material that PR originally sang on. Baz can barely manage stuff like "Tramp", he has no chance with "Face" ...
What about Jim doing Lies and Deception? 😉🤣