Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: New Damned Album 2023

Post by Jake »

Greatkudu wrote: 09 Dec 2022, 14:21

To be fair the reunion footage wasn't bad,a bit disjointed,but the Damned were never slick,they have made some great albums but I agree hit and miss,the last one was good,but Its really not on my priority list to get the next one,or see them live again,it's becoming a bit Cabaret IMHO,Sensible says the same thing,while the crowd shout Sensibles a Wanker,but they have produced some great albums and Vanians voice is better than ever,he's possibly the only reason I would go.Lt Kudu.
I last saw The Damned at Dingwalls in 2000, possibly 2001, they had a new album called “Grave Disorder” at the time, couldn’t say if that was any good or not. Patricia Morrison was on bass at the time, I believe her and Vanian have kids now. I had a chinwag with Captain that night, he’s a very agreeable bloke. I gather he didn’t do some tour or the other lately and it was something to do with vaccines, which is his right really. I do like Captain, I don’t know what he’s said or hasn’t said about covid and vaccines, but I always found Captain to be someone switched on and decent, except when he’s being indecent and running around naked on stage obviously 8)
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

theraven1979 wrote: 09 Dec 2022, 14:28 Evil Spirits is pretty good IMO. They're a bit hit and miss like The Stranglers post 90. I favour the Damned's stuff slightly in that respect. I thought Grave Disorder was great when it came out but it seems to have aged badly.

Jim
I loved that album (Evil Spirits )at first but got bored with it very quickly .There are probably three at most songs that I may give a listen to now , in fact now I can't remember a single song on it.I bought a Skids album and Chelsea at the same time and do prefer those by far now. At least I can recall some sons on them. I may give this one a go though , the new one that is , if it's a bit harder edged as it says it is . I did quite like Grave Disorder .
All quiet ..........
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

There's a lot of filler on Evil Spirits. Songs like "Daily Liar" just sounds like Sensible free forming and Vanian ad-libbing lyrics over the top of it. It's a shame as there are 2 or 3 solid songs on that album.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

Jon the Impaler wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 07:23
theraven1979 wrote: 09 Dec 2022, 14:28 Evil Spirits is pretty good IMO. They're a bit hit and miss like The Stranglers post 90. I favour the Damned's stuff slightly in that respect. I thought Grave Disorder was great when it came out but it seems to have aged badly.

Jim
I loved that album (Evil Spirits )at first but got bored with it very quickly .There are probably three at most songs that I may give a listen to now , in fact now I can't remember a single song on it.I bought a Skids album and Chelsea at the same time and do prefer those by far now. At least I can recall some sons on them. I may give this one a go though , the new one that is , if it's a bit harder edged as it says it is . I did quite like Grave Disorder .
If the new one is as good as the songs on the Rockfield Files EP, then it should be very good. Evil Spirits was not as good as it should have been. Not enough guitars
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

New single on Spotify. It's ok. They need to change the tune IMO. They appear to be following the book of rock standards. Gets boring after a while. Way too much distortion, effects and shit going on.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
RetroRocket
Rats Rally

Post by RetroRocket »

theraven1979 wrote: 03 Feb 2023, 10:40 New single on Spotify. It's ok. They need to change the tune IMO. They appear to be following the book of rock standards. Gets boring after a while. Way too much distortion, effects and shit going on.

Jim

Agree. Just watched the video. Starts off well and then meanders into 3rd rate psychedelia. Disappointing at first listen...I'll give it another go later.
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

theraven1979 wrote: 03 Feb 2023, 10:40 New single on Spotify. It's ok. They need to change the tune IMO. They appear to be following the book of rock standards. Gets boring after a while. Way too much distortion, effects and shit going on.

Jim
I don't mind it actually....as you say it's Rocking. I will give it a few listens. It's been in the Can for a Year now.
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

I think they couldn't decide what tempo to use and the middle eight is shite!
Sounds heavier but not a great song
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

The last album was very good,not sure about the upcoming one? Major Kudu.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Jake wrote: 09 Dec 2022, 18:49
Greatkudu wrote: 09 Dec 2022, 14:21

To be fair the reunion footage wasn't bad,a bit disjointed,but the Damned were never slick,they have made some great albums but I agree hit and miss,the last one was good,but Its really not on my priority list to get the next one,or see them live again,it's becoming a bit Cabaret IMHO,Sensible says the same thing,while the crowd shout Sensibles a Wanker,but they have produced some great albums and Vanians voice is better than ever,he's possibly the only reason I would go.Lt Kudu.
I last saw The Damned at Dingwalls in 2000, possibly 2001, they had a new album called “Grave Disorder” at the time, couldn’t say if that was any good or not. Patricia Morrison was on bass at the time, I believe her and Vanian have kids now. I had a chinwag with Captain that night, he’s a very agreeable bloke. I gather he didn’t do some tour or the other lately and it was something to do with vaccines, which is his right really. I do like Captain, I don’t know what he’s said or hasn’t said about covid and vaccines, but I always found Captain to be someone switched on and decent, except when he’s being indecent and running around naked on stage obviously 8)
Yeah the DIngwalls Damned gig would be August 21/22 2001. I was the drunk guy handing out special badges to all the attendees.

Not sure about the new track... it sounds good through headphones, the bass is meaty and the arrangement is gloriously bold but as for the song... it's not much of one really is it.
Let's Boogie
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

It's quite good,drums far to loud in mix,nice video,but as others have said to much production going on,but Vanians voice sounds very good as ever, possibly one of the best voices od the Punk era.Major Kudu.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

I’m still looking forward's to the new Damned album, even though I think Evil Spirits was their worst one yet. New single plus Rockfield Files EP points to maybe a bit more variety, and I’m enjoying Paul’s contributions to Wingmen, which makes me hopeful.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.