Dark Matters - Second Thoughts

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: Dark Matters - Second Thoughts

Post by toilerinblack »

Yes nothing is added your right there ...and what a song JJ wrote that has now became such a hit at the gigs and definitely one of DM highlights for me.
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

I might ask this question .........given that so many rated DM so highly , yet currently it trails Suite by 15-14 ( closer than I imagined ) , had the band released Suite in the past year , how highly would it have been rated ? Would we be lauding DM as many are now if it was 15 years or more old ? Put the two albums timewise the other way round .
All quiet ..........
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Jon the Impaler wrote: 20 Sep 2022, 15:49 I might ask this question .........given that so many rated DM so highly , yet currently it trails Suite by 15-14 ( closer than I imagined ) , had the band released Suite in the past year , how highly would it have been rated ? Would we be lauding DM as many are now if it was 15 years or more old ? Put the two albums timewise the other way round .
Fair point...you could be right there but for me i never really like comparing different albums from different spaced out times sometimes decades apart i feel you can't fairly really,for me If people are comparing the two all i will say is DM is very different from what they have ever done before,ok there are still a few classic Stranglers tracks like your water's and others but without saying one is better than the other album DM stands out being very different in it's written stlyed songs with its general overall production to them by the brillance of getting the fifth beatle as in Louie who for me has done an amazing job in the studio,so the two albums are to different to compare i feel,but each fan to their own on what they prefer,but for sure they are both better than Giants but behind NC.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 20 Sep 2022, 22:40, edited 1 time in total.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

toilerinblack wrote: 20 Sep 2022, 18:16
Jon the Impaler wrote: 20 Sep 2022, 15:49 I might ask this question .........given that so many rated DM so highly , yet currently it trails Suite by 15-14 ( closer than I imagined ) , had the band released Suite in the past year , how highly would it have been rated ? Would we be lauding DM as many are now if it was 15 years or more old ? Put the two albums timewise the other way round .
Fair point...you could be right there but for me i never really like comparing different albums from different spaced out times sometimes decades apart i feel you can't fairly really,for me If people are comparing the two all i will say is DM is very different from what they have ever done before,ok there are still a few classic Stranglers tracks like your water's and others but without saying one is better than the other album DM stands out being very different in it's written stlyed songs with its general overall production to them by the brillance of getting the fifth beatle in as in Louie who for me has done an amazing job in the studio,so the two albums are to different to compare i feel,but each fan to their own on what they prefer.
Louie produced both albums.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Apparently the Easter Islands statues have been damaged by fire :?
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

jason wrote: 07 Oct 2022, 20:12 Apparently the Easter Islands statues have been damaged by fire :?
Thanks for the attention of the statues i for one have always been facinated by them decades ago which is why i was so happy and stunned to see them on the Dark Matters cover.
Yes your right there was a fire that swept through over a coverage of over 250 acres that includes the statues in an area called Rano Raraku which is a shame because they are of a rare historic significance.
marky
Ugly
Ugly

Post by marky »

Have we always got to call Louie the 5th Beatle now? Maybe dark matters would have benefited from being produced by someone outside the bands organisation
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

marky wrote:Have we always got to call Louie the 5th Beatle now? Maybe dark matters would have benefited from being produced by someone outside the bands organisation
I think the last couple of albums would've benefited from a different producer. Problem is, no one will work with them

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
porkymeat
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by porkymeat »

jason wrote: 07 Oct 2022, 20:12 Apparently the Easter Islands statues have been damaged by fire :?
am i mistaken in thinking theres one in the British Museum? sure i saw one in there years ago.
I'll even let you drive my motorbike . . .
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

theraven1979 wrote: 08 Oct 2022, 09:57
marky wrote:Have we always got to call Louie the 5th Beatle now? Maybe dark matters would have benefited from being produced by someone outside the bands organisation
I think the last couple of albums would've benefited from a different producer. Problem is, no one will work with them

Jim

I think Louie's been excellent and i wouldn't of choosen anybody else as i think the production side to DM speaks for itself in just my opinion and the lads obviously think the same by refering him as the 5th Beatle.... but agreed it is a bit much to keep calling or labelling him as that though that seems to have stuck after Baz once referenced him to being that,so for me Louie's work has been spot on but we all differ on that front.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 08 Oct 2022, 23:16, edited 3 times in total.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

toilerinblack wrote: 08 Oct 2022, 12:56
theraven1979 wrote: 08 Oct 2022, 09:57

Jim

I think Louie's been excellent and i wouldn't of choose anybody else as i think the production side to DM speaks for itself in just my opinion and the lads obviously think the same by refering him as the 5th Beatle.... but agreed it is a bit much keep calling or labelling him as that though that seems to have stuck after Baz once referenced him to being that,so far me Louie's work has been spot on but we all differ on that front.
Just out of curiosity I typed "fifth Beatle" into the search function of this forum and the leading culprit in the use of the phrase over the past year and a bit is none other than....... Lt Kudu.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Why would anyone want to compare The stranglers with the Beatles?!

Jim

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"