Euro Tour - *SET LIST SPOILER*

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Euro Tour - *SET LIST SPOILER*

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 20:16 Just seen JJ losing it at the Dublin olympia before the start of the Dave song where he was trying to quietly compose himself to talk about Dave with a lot of old loud shouting crap going on in the crowd somewhere when he shouted back at them saying .."what you want me to fucking talk loud when i'm talking about Dave"?...saying that i did notice that through the song the crowd did get behind them well with a good supported applause for Dave and especially at the" this is where your solo would go"bit,it was a lovely version done by the two of them and also some lovely laid back guitaring from Baz which i thought was really nice from him with a good audience support for Dave too.
Sadly always a fare share of Le Tosseurs at Stranglers gigs.Lt Kudu.
iain
Ugly
Ugly

Post by iain »

Well, despite my fears, that gig tonight in Belfast was a belter. Much better than Dublin. Just great seeing them in a smaller pub venue. Crowd loved it.

'Dave' wasn't played tonight.
rotten thoughts
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Glad it was a good gig and the audience enjoyed it too...so all round it sounded another a great night for both the band and the fans.
adeinblack
Rats Rally

Post by adeinblack »

aldinblack wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 17:59
adeinblack wrote:Music and money has always been about who wrote the song. If you sing covers you get a fraction.

Hugh Cornwell will be making money from Stranglers songs and quite rightly. it will be one of the reasons why the Stranglers are likely to continue to the year 2080 with new musicans. Their heirs will receive money from the songs as long as enough people buy tickets.

More recently bands make money from touring. A £30 ticket multiplied by 2000 equals £60,000 a gig but remember £10,000 is the vat (government) promoters make money, security, venue, manager, tour manager, catering, transport, roadies, lighting engineers, on stage monitors, front of house, advertising all come before the Fab 4 can pocket, as a rough guide, the band might get 15-20% of the 60k per gig, factor in the work going into a tour, its good money but not exceptional compared with footballers money. Playing 50,000 stadiums though at £90 per ticket is a whole different scenario. A band could make 50-60%
interesting stuff cheers. So what happens when a tribute band eg Straighten Out play? Do the Stranglers, including Hugh, get something? Surely not as it would probably be about 1 penny each lol..
Depends on the size of the venue if it triggers payments, pubs seem to be exempt. If Straighten played to say 500 (I am not sure of the exact size) then in theory the venue should file a set list and a payment is made to the owners of the played songs. The venue will make payments when the Stranglers play Walk on By or any other cover, as far as I know its just 1/20th of the fee if they play 20 songs and the fee is taken out of the ticket price. It must be something reasonable at (the Stranglers level) because I managed a band that played the magazine song 'the light pours out on me' we did 9 gigs with the Stranglers in 2002 and a month or so later one of the band members turned up at a gig, by then it was out of the set! I also knew someone that wrote a song that Madonna had on an album and although it was rarely played she did do it for part of a tour and the payments were like a years wages at the stadium level.