Euro Tour - *SET LIST SPOILER*

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

iain
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Euro Tour - *SET LIST SPOILER*

Post by iain »

Wasn't overly excited by the Dublin show last night. Its all a bit stale.
Hate going to Belfast tonight knowing there's nothing to surprise me
rotten thoughts
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

evonx wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 10:07 https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-stra ... 04483.html

A bit better with Sweden, Harry and Water now
Someone from band must have read our gripes? :smt005 Just what I wanted something different even if slightly different.Now drop Peaches Ans ATS,and no I don't want to sing along with the Fookin Stranglers, when I have my car serviced I don't want to service it myself. :smt013 Lt Kudu.
adeinblack
Rats Rally

Post by adeinblack »

Music and money has always been about who wrote the song. If you sing covers you get a fraction.

Hugh Cornwell will be making money from Stranglers songs and quite rightly. it will be one of the reasons why the Stranglers are likely to continue to the year 2080 with new musicans. Their heirs will receive money from the songs as long as enough people buy tickets.

More recently bands make money from touring. A £30 ticket multiplied by 2000 equals £60,000 a gig but remember £10,000 is the vat (government) promoters make money, security, venue, manager, tour manager, catering, transport, roadies, lighting engineers, on stage monitors, front of house, advertising all come before the Fab 4 can pocket, as a rough guide, the band might get 15-20% of the 60k per gig, factor in the work going into a tour, its good money but not exceptional compared with footballers money. Playing 50,000 stadiums though at £90 per ticket is a whole different scenario. A band could make 50-60%
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Music and money has always been about who wrote the song. If you sing covers you get a fraction.
Exactly. Many sold their publishing rights and now regret it (remember McCartney suing Michael Jackson over buying back some of his rights to classical beatle songs he (co-)wrote?). First rule - hang on these rights. And those who see the grim reaper approaching now sell it for millions (Neil Young, Dylan a.o.).

@toiler You have to realize that when a song gets played on the radio an when it is used in a movie, documentary, video game or commercial, the composers get the revenue. This can add up nicely.

As a very small amateur with a few songs here and there (mostly covers) available i get about $2 each month from the US company that handles mine. I spoke to a former member of The Fall about this, that band never was as big as the stranglers of course and their biggest hits were covers (Victoria, Ghost in my House). For their co-writing some tunes this person gets about 200 quid each year so to really really make a healthy income you have to have some great hits. The chap here in NL that wrote Venus (covered a million times and twice in the US top 10 (Bananarama and Shocking Blue)) is supposedly the richest musician in the Netherlands.
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
Lafleur
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Lafleur »

evonx wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 10:07 https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-stra ... 04483.html

A bit better with Sweden, Harry and Water now
Harry: https://youtu.be/w31spn0HvWU
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

evonx wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 10:06
So any Cornwel,Burnel,Greenfield,Black tracks played live means they all get exactly the same no matter who wrote it sung it it's shared equally as the four of them then? and what about Dave's royalties would that still go to family or is just to the artist themselves in question
Yes, all split four-way, mk 2 five ways of course etc.
It all depends on who are credited ans writers / composers and it was always all band members. First exception was See me Coming on Suite which was a Burnel solo song originally and now in Dark Matters it's mostly just Burnel and Warne.

Dave's revenue goes to his heirs. I presume that's Pam.

Ever seen the film About a Boy? The main character lives a rich life on a Christmas novelty song his dad wrote 50 years ago.
Yep gotcha i though toot it would go to his heirs presuming Pam,but thanks for the credits breakdown got it now,again thanks i found it a great read on royalties and no i haven't seen the Boy film but i get what your saying...again thanks.
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

iain wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 10:20 Wasn't overly excited by the Dublin show last night. Its all a bit stale.
Hate going to Belfast tonight knowing there's nothing to surprise me
I'm a bit bored just watching the brief video clips to be honest.It's all the same.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

toilerinblack wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 12:25
So any Cornwel,Burnel,Greenfield,Black tracks played live means they all get exactly the same no matter who wrote it sung it it's shared equally as the four of them then? and what about Dave's royalties would that still go to family or is just to the artist themselves in question
It all depends on who are credited ans writers / composers and it was always all band members. First exception was See me Coming on Suite which was a Burnel solo song originally and now in Dark Matters it's mostly just Burnel and Warne.

Ever seen the film About a Boy? The main character lives a rich life on a Christmas novelty song his dad wrote 50 years ago.
I might get to watch that film at some point.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

adeinblack wrote:Music and money has always been about who wrote the song. If you sing covers you get a fraction.

Hugh Cornwell will be making money from Stranglers songs and quite rightly. it will be one of the reasons why the Stranglers are likely to continue to the year 2080 with new musicans. Their heirs will receive money from the songs as long as enough people buy tickets.

More recently bands make money from touring. A £30 ticket multiplied by 2000 equals £60,000 a gig but remember £10,000 is the vat (government) promoters make money, security, venue, manager, tour manager, catering, transport, roadies, lighting engineers, on stage monitors, front of house, advertising all come before the Fab 4 can pocket, as a rough guide, the band might get 15-20% of the 60k per gig, factor in the work going into a tour, its good money but not exceptional compared with footballers money. Playing 50,000 stadiums though at £90 per ticket is a whole different scenario. A band could make 50-60%
interesting stuff cheers. So what happens when a tribute band eg Straighten Out play? Do the Stranglers, including Hugh, get something? Surely not as it would probably be about 1 penny each lol..
I Hate You !
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

I'm so glad they changed the set a bit.Lt General Kudu in tweed. :smt013
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

toilerinblack wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 12:25

Yep me too at least they've changed it about a bit.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Just seen JJ losing it at the Dublin olympia before the start of the Dave song where he was trying to quietly compose himself to talk about Dave with a lot of old loud shouting crap going on in the crowd somewhere when he shouted back at them saying .."what you want me to fucking talk loud when i'm talking about Dave"?...saying that i did notice that through the song the crowd did get behind them well with a good supported applause for Dave and especially at the" this is where your solo would go"bit,it was a lovely version done by the two of them and also some lovely laid back guitaring from Baz which i thought was really nice from him with a good audience support for Dave too.