New Rat Chat out

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Re: New Rat Chat out

Post by Jon the Impaler »

StanInBlack wrote: 22 Mar 2022, 22:43
toilerinblack wrote: 22 Mar 2022, 21:30 so for me they have all the ingredients then to be classed a great band and if their not then what would make them a good one? just a curious question because i'd like to be told what is missing from this current line that would make them a good one.
Relevance (which they've not had since MKI) and credibility (which they don't have post-Jet and Dave) ... I dug out my vinyl copy of The Raven last night and marvelled at how the quality of the packaging and presentation matched that of the music in the grooves, especially that excellent photo of the band on the back. Credible, relevant and magnificent. And not a Baz or a Jim in sight.
I would say even late M1 was no longer relevant , maybe from Aural onwards even 🤔.But when did The Stranglers actually care about being relevant ? If they did I reckon they could have become The Clash......I know which I prefer , it's why I am on this site and not a Clash one .
All quiet ..........
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

toilerinblack wrote: 22 Mar 2022, 21:30 so for me they have all the ingredients then to be classed a great band and if their not then what would make them a good one? just a curious question because i'd like to be told what is missing from this current line that would make them a good one.
Relevance (which they've not had since MKI) and credibility (which they don't have post-Jet and Dave) ... I dug out my vinyl copy of The Raven last night and marvelled at how the quality of the packaging and presentation matched that of the music in the grooves, especially that excellent photo of the band on the back. Credible, relevant and magnificent. And not a Baz or a Jim in sight.
I am guessing that Jim probably wasn't anywhere at all when The Raven was released .
All quiet ..........
cassini
Ugly
Ugly

Post by cassini »

I found Baz’s comments about the finality of the tour and the fact that he would never play most of the venues again very sad.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I guess you could argue the toss that they were still relevant around Aural Sculpture as they did see some chart success (when charts meant something) and some decent media exposure. I think they were also relevant to the bulk of the fans (I'd only just got onboard at this point to be fair)

Jim

Jon the Impaler wrote: 23 Mar 2022, 13:12
I would say even late M1 was no longer relevant , maybe from Aural onwards even 🤔.But when did The Stranglers actually care about being relevant ? If they did I reckon they could have become The Clash......I know which I prefer , it's why I am on this site and not a Clash one .
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Agreed - It was a tad depressing also to realise that the band hated the Carling venues also - just wished they'd have played somewhere else (other similar sized venues are available that are much preferable)

Jim
cassini wrote: 23 Mar 2022, 14:50 I found Baz’s comments about the finality of the tour and the fact that he would never play most of the venues again very sad.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Good to see JJ and Baz but a bit bittersweet as well. Lt Kudu.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

theraven1979 wrote: 23 Mar 2022, 14:52 Agreed - It was a tad depressing also to realise that the band hated the Carling venues also
Jim
Think Sheffield 02 in particular is a headache for them hence why it was avoided when the others were still on the agenda.
Let's Boogie
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

A very intresting chat especially with JJ touching about people saying that The Stranglers are not the same with his response being of course it's not the same and we don't want it to be the same,Nice also JJ saying that the audience have been fantastic and this tour has been bigger than ever as Baz put it it kind of say's it all really and great praise to Toby with JJ saying he's as good as Dave was years ago and they were happy that he seemed to be excepted overnight which he has done an incredible job i think too....overall great Rat Chat i thought.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 23 Mar 2022, 18:29, edited 2 times in total.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Jon the Impaler wrote: 23 Mar 2022, 13:12 But when did The Stranglers actually care about being relevant ?
I'd argue that they've always cared - particularly MKI, else Hugh wouldn't have banged on about chart positions so much in his book.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Well i've seen this band nowday's what with Rat Chat and acoustic sessions doing more for what the fans have been asking for nowday's tbh.
I think MK1 did what MK1 wanted to and when they wanted to tbh with never much in between the gigs and recordings with any info moving forwards with the many would say it's The Stranglers way of doing things.
I have seen more from this band in the last year to 18mths outside of gigs and recordings for their fans than i can remember tbh,it's a different band and way of doings things nowday's what with modern technology and social media compared to the days of MK1 in the late'70s through the eighties that wasn't there to be fair so we'll never know.
Would MK1 have done as much as this band today have outside of gigs and recordings what with the Rat Chats and vid sessions for their fans i'll never know,but i do believe they do take on board the fans more than the band of old and that's not a knock it's just different today than the way bands were from back when....but that's just my one fan's worth and many may disagree.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 23 Mar 2022, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

Maybe I'm stuck in the past, but id rather have an album of the quality of the raven and no rat chats, than DM and a million chats.

But it is what it is.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Yanders wrote: 23 Mar 2022, 19:16 Maybe I'm stuck in the past, but id rather have an album of the quality of the raven and no rat chats, than DM and a million chats.

But it is what it is.
Well i don't think your stuck in the past either because MK1 can never be touched by anyone post'90 for me too and for me it's all about the music at the end of the day,but saying that in my opinion there is still nothing wrong with DM material and i enjoy playing it a lot,it's down to each indivdual but this band is not going to or wants to sound like anything back from the Raven days,for me its an ever changing material band and that's how it should be because why continue on as a band ,fans should enjoy what they release and all the comparing in the world for a band that has been going this long means nothing at all at the end of the day i think..........i say just enjoy their music and from whatever period and style you like but we all at whatever point in this band's career you like just enjoy....The Stranglers Music!