New keyboard player

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

alaninblack
Rats Rally

Re: New keyboard player

Post by alaninblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 01:49 As for you, perhaps you should just accept that some people may not like what The Stranglers have become.
I do, each person can have their own opinion. I enjoyed watching MK1 many a time live till Aural Sculpture reared its ugly head. I believe my last MKI gig was a the Dominion London 85. I hated all the Brass, for me it was and end of a great band for me. I did not like what the Stranglers had become at all at that point.

I had zero interest in what I heard of MK II, then by chance on a trip back to the UK I picked up the CD of NC and found that it had somewhat of the the sound I missed. Since then I have actually enjoyed the output and the live gigs have been good fun, but somewhat repetitive with a severe lack of later material.

So therefore you must also accept that some people are quite happy with what the Stranglers currently are - give it a year or so, and I may even like Hughs output : )
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

alaninblack wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 02:03 So therefore you must also accept that some people are quite happy with what the Stranglers currently are - give it a year or so, and I may even like Hughs output : )
Based on "JJ Burnel & Friends presents the hits of The Stranglers" current form, I'd say within a year it'll be more "why didn't I get around to listening to these albums sooner?" or "why didn't I spent money going to see Hugh live and see the actual singer and songwriter perform these songs instead of watching some sessioneers and a Toy Doll cover them?"
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

StanInBlack wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 02:11
alaninblack wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 02:03 So therefore you must also accept that some people are quite happy with what the Stranglers currently are - give it a year or so, and I may even like Hughs output : )
Based on "JJ Burnel & Friends presents the hits of The Stranglers" current form, I'd say within a year it'll be more "why didn't I get around to listening to these albums sooner?" or "why didn't I spent money going to see Hugh live and see the actual singer and songwriter perform these songs instead of watching some sessioneers and a Toy Doll cover them?"
And we’d think why didn’t you do the same, instead of Trolling on here
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 02:11 why didn't I spent money going to see Hugh live and see the actual singer and songwriter perform these songs instead of watching some sessioneers and a Toy Doll cover them?"
I've seen Hugh live in MK1 enough times, so I have paid for and experienced that already. I have no problem with Hugh and what he is doing now, it's up to him. Wolf did not go down well at all to my ears when I first heard it somewhere, it was a WTF is that... then I remember after him leaving he was saying something along the lines of "I'm only going to play acoustic from now on" - so that didn't really appeal to me, so I had no interest.

Looking back over his catalogue, is a bit like me looking over MKII's - I could make a good album that I would like to listen to out of it all, but that is about it. That being said, the release of DM actually made me listen to Monster again, and I do like the majority of that album and find it an enjoyable listen, so I am looking forward to what Hugh will do next.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

I agree with there's only one out there doing the Mk1 as how they were written and sung to be like,obviously it's Hugh if people haven't seen him much or even not at all as a solo artist then i suggest very highly that they do when he does again.The current Stranglers line up are doing a great job playing the old covers as it is on the tin so to speak with still so much energy and pace that maybe Hugh dosen't have so much nowday's who puts his own styled twang to them making instead trying to make them still sound great but also sounding different.
Hugh will never have that fuller sound that once was as he's just a three piece who as a solo artist has never tried to do that anyway as he puts it it's boring doing it exactly the same way each time whose distanced himself from all that once was, so for me both camps i feel are peoples own preferences and choices on what's good or not for them, but for me nowday's it will be only Hugh that i will continue on with on the the gig front but obviously still very much behind the new bands material and recordings moving forwards.
Mart
Rats Rally

Post by Mart »

Hughs output is patchy to say the least, Monster is an awful album and live he is just boring
When i rest my weary head after all my words are said
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

Mart wrote: 08 Dec 2021, 13:15
Hughs output is patchy to say the least, Monster is an awful album and live he is just boring
I would concur with that. I like him live acoustically, but find his electric sets a bit dull and lifeless.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

He never has had the charisma of the current line up.
jonimac

Post by jonimac »

Hugh should probably hire Toby for his next tour, give it that bigger sound? :grin:

For my own ears, 1992-2004 was pretty patchy at best, but still produced more songs that I was interested in, than HAC.
Once Norfolk Coast came along however, the band stopped trying to rewrite old songs and pushed ahead with new found confidence in their own material.

I find when I go to see HAC, I have to try much harder to enjoy it, mentally filling in all the missing bits.
You cannot argue with the voice, but there’s not enough surrounding it for me
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Yes its a shame in a way Hugh hasn't had a bigger sound on some his albums as well. I would have loved his albums to have had maybe a more Dreamtime kind of feel to them.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I'd hate for Hugh to get a keyboardist in. He does right with the standard rock sound. Also, if he got a keyboardist in he'd just get all you lot whinging that he's trying to be The Stranglers. :smt006 :lol:

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
jonimac

Post by jonimac »

I thought he was The Stranglers Jim? :grin:
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)